Re: Investment pays off for Foundation

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2006
      Well doesn't this mean they can't be a non-profit
      anymore????
      If the district is giving them almost a half of
      a million dollars???
      And I thought they were also getting money from
      the CCC-ROP???
      Is this more money to offer the ROP classes?
      Or the two year committment classes???

      Wait a minute, did the CCCOE finish their investigation
      into the credentials of these technology instructors?
      Could have sworn that I read something about that.
      I know firsthand that some of their instructors had
      no experience working with kids (or secondary ed credentials)
      before coming to Tech Futures. This was for the 2004-2005
      school year so maybey they went to school?

      And TechFutures also launched a website for WCCUSD
      HIGH SCHOOL REFORM for the "BIG" effort to engage
      the community in communicating during the TAKE
      STOCK efforts of tha "BluE Riboon Committee" nonsense
      a while back. The website was taken down, and Tech Futures
      had all that information, but as far as I know it was never
      shown to the board OR the public. I really wanted to call
      the State on that one, being that I thought the grant monies
      were misappropriated if STATE grant was spent on this site
      and the public still has not seen the information received.

      Oh, and yes I ASKED to see that information. I was on
      that Blue Ribbon Committee. The last meeting I went to,
      Mr. Whittier confirmed that they indeed had the information.
      Im sure at this point, it was sent to the RECYCLE BIN long
      ago.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

      _________

      _________
      > Chief Academic Officer
      >
      > 7/1/05
      > thru
      > 6/30/06
      >
      > The Whittier Foundation
      >
      > $342,904
      >
      > General Fund
      >
      > The Whittier Foundation has provided funding and services related
      to the
      > TechFutures program for three District high schools since 2002. The
      > TechFutures Program is intended to provide advanced Internet
      computer
      > applications training for students with a unique focus on Internet
      > technologies, applications, services, business concepts and the
      Internet
      > economy. The proposed agreement memorializes the terms of provision
      of those
      > services for the 2005/06 school year, including six classes funded
      by the
      > District and three classes donated by the Foundation. This will
      impact a
      > total of 9 classes. The Whittier Foundation shall provide nine
      classes at
      > three District high schools for the 2005-06 school year, six funded
      by the
      > District and three donated by the Foundation. These services will
      be
      > performed at El Cerrito High School, Kennedy High School and
      Richmond High

      _________

      _________

      > This is $10 from every student in the district taken from their
      general fund
      > money's. Next time the district says they do not have money for
      soap or
      > toilet paper in the bathrooms think how much soap and toilet paper
      could
      > have been bought for 0ne-third of a million dollars. Also, how has
      the
      > district been paying for this contract for the last 8 months and
      who
      > authorized those payments and if the contract is already in force
      why is it
      > just coming before the Board for ratification. How many other
      contracts are
      > currently in force, being paid and have not been authorized by the
      Board.
> [...]
      > >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Investment pays off for Foundation
      > >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:57:55 -0000
      > >
      > >I don't have my copy of the board packet yet
      > >Lemme Guess
      > >
      > >Bay Area Community Resources (BACR)
      > >
      > >Mr. Rivard, remember Glen Price stands by this organization
      > >and the wonderful work they do. I would too, if anyone
      > >actually returned my call or inquiries about what they
      > >are doing in our schools, why they took over as "fiscal
      > >agent" for many of our after school programs, and a ton
      > >more stuff.......
      > >We gave them a half of a million dollars EASY in 2005
      > >
      > >Wait a minute
      > >is it..........................
      > >West Contra Costa Business and Education Unitied??????
      > >
      > >I have been WAITING for them to reemerge, they were GUNG
      > >HO on working with the community until that WALL OF ANGER
      > >came up.....Once the money ran out, no more meetings...
      > >until they came up with another way to come to the board
      > >with their hand out.
      > >
      > >Or could it be the
      > >WHITTIER EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION???????
      > >
      > >I skimmed through some puff piece about them "donating" money
      > >to something for our kids (probably their own program)
      > >They are a non-profit organization
      > >Well in name anyway
      > >

      > >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@>
      > >wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just when you think you have seen it all.
      > > >
      > > > Is this an endowment fund for an endowment fund.
      > > >
      > > > Now the general fund is going to pay a private entity almost a
      > >third of a
      > > > million dollars of tax payers money. This money is being taken
      from
      > >the
      > > > general fund. Also, it is backdated to July 1 2005.
      > > >
      > > > Oh that is right. Tomorrow is April 1st. This must be an April
      > >Fools joke.
      > > >
      > > > How is it, that a private non profit foundation can start a
      program
      > >in a
      > > > school system with their money, get all the accolades of being
      so
      > >benevolent
      > > > and then four years later be paid off with almost a third of a
      > >million
      > > > dollars. This program was said to be self sustaining and
      benefiting
      > >the kids
      > > > without cost to the district. Is this now going to be an annual
      > >payment for
      > > > the foundation. Will it get a cost of living raise. Will it
      > >eventually
      > > > become the district's total responsibility.
      > > >
      > > > Why is spending one third of a million dollars hidden under a
      > >Consent Item
      > > > and additionally buried in the consultant page.
      > > >
      > > > This is not categorical money, this is taking $10 from every
      single
      > >student
      > > > in the district and giving it to one single non profit entity.
      Plus

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
        If the money given is used to pay costs like inflated
        administrative salaries, they can still be non-profit.
        Thee are many ways to gobble money to prevent profit.
        Maybe they need the money to find answers to all your
        questions; maybe they need the money to hire
        consultants (friends, of course) to find the
        answers...

        Eduardo

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
          Alicia-

          The Whittier Foundation has been trying to get access to some part of
          the ROP (categorical vocational ed.) money that is allocated for
          students in the District. This ROP money is actually controlled by the
          County Office of Education. Last time I checked with the County
          Superintendent a few months ago he seemed quite happy with the way the
          County was spending the money and was very uninterested in parting
          with any of it. In the meantime, it is certainly within the realm of
          possibility that he may have changed his mind or had it changed for
          him by the State. I'll double-check.

          Charley Cowens

        • ladyluvslife67
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            Charley-
            Thanks so much, look forward to hearing soon.
            And I hope you are feeling better.

            I do remember TF kicking off classes called ROP
            classes over at ECHS around OCTOBER 2004. It was the alternative
            offering to the TF 2 year committment class that my son was enrolled
            in. Unclear also why all the "graduates" of the TF program are only
            from ECHS, even though TF has classes at Kennedy and RHS.
            AMEDINA

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              The 2005 TF class had kids from both ECHS and Kennedy. It's a 2 year
              program, so maybe the kids at Richmond are only in the first year.
              Cathy

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                --Kevin:

                Don't you know, that any order to make big money you must spend a little.

                From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Alicia-

                  I checked again. The County still has the ROP money for now. The
                  Whittier Foundation must have been failed in their attempts to tap
                  into the ROP money. They used to appear at Budget Advisory Committee
                  meetings, but then I guess they figured out a better way to get some
                  money out of the District.

                  I think Kevin has already pointed out the after-the-fact nature for
                  this very large contract. This is really a giant reimbursement. What's
                  missing is any explanation of how they came up with that number. _If_
                  you accept that a completely private agency should directly control
                  part of the instructional program in the schools, then I think a
                  fairer way to approach this would be for Tech Futures to stick to a
                  set number of classes before the school year begins and then for the
                  District to subsidize Tech Futures for the pro-rated ADA for the
                  students' time in these classes minus the overhead cost of running a
                  school and a District. Perhaps someone who has a better idea of how
                  Tech Futures classes are structured could venture a guess as to how
                  close this would be to the $340,000 figure even without the deduction
                  for overhead.

                  Charley Cowens