Re: Investment pays off for Foundation

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
      I don't have my copy of the board packet yet
      Lemme Guess

      Bay Area Community Resources (BACR)

      Mr. Rivard, remember Glen Price stands by this organization
      and the wonderful work they do. I would too, if anyone
      actually returned my call or inquiries about what they
      are doing in our schools, why they took over as "fiscal
      agent" for many of our after school programs, and a ton
      more stuff.......
      We gave them a half of a million dollars EASY in 2005

      Wait a minute
      is it..........................
      West Contra Costa Business and Education Unitied??????

      I have been WAITING for them to reemerge, they were GUNG
      HO on working with the community until that WALL OF ANGER
      came up.....Once the money ran out, no more meetings...
      until they came up with another way to come to the board
      with their hand out.

      Or could it be the
      WHITTIER EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION???????

      I skimmed through some puff piece about them "donating" money
      to something for our kids (probably their own program)
      They are a non-profit organization
      Well in name anyway

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>
      wrote:

      > Just when you think you have seen it all.
      >
      > Is this an endowment fund for an endowment fund.
      >
      > Now the general fund is going to pay a private entity almost a
      third of a
      > million dollars of tax payers money. This money is being taken from
      the
      > general fund. Also, it is backdated to July 1 2005.
      >
      > Oh that is right. Tomorrow is April 1st. This must be an April
      Fools joke.

      > How is it, that a private non profit foundation can start a program
      in a
      > school system with their money, get all the accolades of being so
      benevolent
      > and then four years later be paid off with almost a third of a
      million
      > dollars. This program was said to be self sustaining and benefiting
      the kids
      > without cost to the district. Is this now going to be an annual
      payment for
      > the foundation. Will it get a cost of living raise. Will it
      eventually
      > become the district's total responsibility.
      >
      > Why is spending one third of a million dollars hidden under a
      Consent Item

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Page 51 of 195, on the Professional Consultant's page, in this week's
        Board Packet for those who have not received it yet is the following:
        Chief Academic Officer

        7/1/05
        thru
        6/30/06

        The Whittier Foundation

        $342,904

        General Fund

        The Whittier Foundation has provided funding and services related to the
        TechFutures program for three District high schools since 2002. The
        TechFutures Program is intended to provide advanced Internet computer
        applications training for students with a unique focus on Internet
        technologies, applications, services, business concepts and the Internet
        economy. The proposed agreement memorializes the terms of provision of those
        services for the 2005/06 school year, including six classes funded by the
        District and three classes donated by the Foundation. This will impact a
        total of 9 classes. The Whittier Foundation shall provide nine classes at
        three District high schools for the 2005-06 school year, six funded by the
        District and three donated by the Foundation. These services will be
        performed at El Cerrito High School, Kennedy High School and Richmond High
        School.

        This is $10 from every student in the district taken from their general fund
        money's. Next time the district says they do not have money for soap or
        toilet paper in the bathrooms think how much soap and toilet paper could
        have been bought for 0ne-third of a million dollars. Also, how has the
        district been paying for this contract for the last 8 months and who
        authorized those payments and if the contract is already in force why is it
        just coming before the Board for ratification. How many other contracts are
        currently in force, being paid and have not been authorized by the Board.
        This is just one contract and it is worth one-third of a million dollars
        directly from the general fund.

        I have no doubt the Board will ratify this just like every other
        unauthorized spending that the administration does and then after the fact
        comes to the Board for their OK.

        Kevin

      • ladyluvslife67
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2006
          Well doesn't this mean they can't be a non-profit
          anymore????
          If the district is giving them almost a half of
          a million dollars???
          And I thought they were also getting money from
          the CCC-ROP???
          Is this more money to offer the ROP classes?
          Or the two year committment classes???

          Wait a minute, did the CCCOE finish their investigation
          into the credentials of these technology instructors?
          Could have sworn that I read something about that.
          I know firsthand that some of their instructors had
          no experience working with kids (or secondary ed credentials)
          before coming to Tech Futures. This was for the 2004-2005
          school year so maybey they went to school?

          And TechFutures also launched a website for WCCUSD
          HIGH SCHOOL REFORM for the "BIG" effort to engage
          the community in communicating during the TAKE
          STOCK efforts of tha "BluE Riboon Committee" nonsense
          a while back. The website was taken down, and Tech Futures
          had all that information, but as far as I know it was never
          shown to the board OR the public. I really wanted to call
          the State on that one, being that I thought the grant monies
          were misappropriated if STATE grant was spent on this site
          and the public still has not seen the information received.

          Oh, and yes I ASKED to see that information. I was on
          that Blue Ribbon Committee. The last meeting I went to,
          Mr. Whittier confirmed that they indeed had the information.
          Im sure at this point, it was sent to the RECYCLE BIN long
          ago.

          _________

          _________

          _________

          _________

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
            If the money given is used to pay costs like inflated
            administrative salaries, they can still be non-profit.
            Thee are many ways to gobble money to prevent profit.
            Maybe they need the money to find answers to all your
            questions; maybe they need the money to hire
            consultants (friends, of course) to find the
            answers...

            Eduardo

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
              Alicia-

              The Whittier Foundation has been trying to get access to some part of
              the ROP (categorical vocational ed.) money that is allocated for
              students in the District. This ROP money is actually controlled by the
              County Office of Education. Last time I checked with the County
              Superintendent a few months ago he seemed quite happy with the way the
              County was spending the money and was very uninterested in parting
              with any of it. In the meantime, it is certainly within the realm of
              possibility that he may have changed his mind or had it changed for
              him by the State. I'll double-check.

              Charley Cowens

            • ladyluvslife67
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                Charley-
                Thanks so much, look forward to hearing soon.
                And I hope you are feeling better.

                I do remember TF kicking off classes called ROP
                classes over at ECHS around OCTOBER 2004. It was the alternative
                offering to the TF 2 year committment class that my son was enrolled
                in. Unclear also why all the "graduates" of the TF program are only
                from ECHS, even though TF has classes at Kennedy and RHS.
                AMEDINA

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  The 2005 TF class had kids from both ECHS and Kennedy. It's a 2 year
                  program, so maybe the kids at Richmond are only in the first year.
                  Cathy

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    --Kevin:

                    Don't you know, that any order to make big money you must spend a little.

                    From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                      Alicia-

                      I checked again. The County still has the ROP money for now. The
                      Whittier Foundation must have been failed in their attempts to tap
                      into the ROP money. They used to appear at Budget Advisory Committee
                      meetings, but then I guess they figured out a better way to get some
                      money out of the District.

                      I think Kevin has already pointed out the after-the-fact nature for
                      this very large contract. This is really a giant reimbursement. What's
                      missing is any explanation of how they came up with that number. _If_
                      you accept that a completely private agency should directly control
                      part of the instructional program in the schools, then I think a
                      fairer way to approach this would be for Tech Futures to stick to a
                      set number of classes before the school year begins and then for the
                      District to subsidize Tech Futures for the pro-rated ADA for the
                      students' time in these classes minus the overhead cost of running a
                      school and a District. Perhaps someone who has a better idea of how
                      Tech Futures classes are structured could venture a guess as to how
                      close this would be to the $340,000 figure even without the deduction
                      for overhead.

                      Charley Cowens