Re: Check out Leave No Child in California Behind Petition

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hey Jill
      Your so Welcome!
      A few years ago, many teachers here were freaking about
      NCLB and what would happen to our kids in a district
      such as ours. I as a parent knew very little about
      this, and learned that most people were ignorant as
      well. Sadly, parents like you and I are a rarity.
      We speak up, ask questions, refuse to accept the
      "brush off" response to our concerns, and make
      great efforts to communicate what we have
      learned in our efforts to be "involved parents"

      I have a great article about parents like us
      "From Fund Raisers to Hell Raisers" More than
      happy to get you a copy. Its great.

      Most parents don't care what is going on at their
      kid's school. It is a sad fact.
      How we can change that?
      We can't

      But we can find a way to communicate with the
      parents who "want" to care, and for whatever
      reason have not been able to do so.

      Thanks Jill for your efforts with K-8,
      demanding that your rights be respected
      you are definetly inspiring others.

      AMEDINA

      -- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...> wrote:

      > Thank You so much!!!!!! I have only had a few minutes to look at
      it,
      > but find it very interesting. It's my opinion, though that WCCUSD
      > has received a good deal of money for Title 1 and PI and only to
      > waste it on CONSULTANTS :(
      >
      > Jill
      > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, ladyluvslife67@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello List Members,
      > > While petitions are not the most effective way to be heard, I
      > found the
      > > comments
      > > of the people who signed it quite interesting.
      > >

      > > _Leave No Child in California Behind Petition_
      > > (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/273105774?
      > z00m=78488&z00m=78488)

    • Elizabeth Jaeger
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        I would gladly sign a petition to revoke or seriously re-work NCLB,
        but I can't sign a petition to fully fund it. If we think things
        are bad now, I can only imagine the carnage if the law had even more
        money behind it. As an example, when SAIT teams come in, well-
        funded by the state, they can be even more dictatorial than NCLB-
        funded efforts are.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
          Thanks Elizabeth for your most valuable teacher perspective.
          If more parents actually CARED what was going on in the classroom,
          then "No Child Left Behind" would be more than something that sounds
          very nice.

          And I was not encouraging folks to sign the petition,
          there were some very interesting comments made by folks who did and I
          thought that was appropriate to share with the list.

          AMEDINA