Re: Too Many Tests?

  • bedwellr
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2006
      Marilyn writes: "If massive numbers of teachers, with strong parental
      and student support, declared that instead of administering the tests,
      they were going to teach students on test days ... we could take back
      our schools and fill them with the positive learning communities in
      which people of all ages can thrive."

      When were our schools "positive learning communities in which people
      of all ages ... thrive(d)"? While I certainly don't support NCLB as
      it is presently written, I definitely DO support heavy accountability
      within our schools, even if that is inconvenient or threatening to
      some. Unfortunately, it seems like many people are under the
      impression that our schools were tremendously successful until the
      evil of testing reared its ugly head. Nothing could be further from
      the truth, of course; our schools were failing miserably, which is why
      testing took on such added importance.

      High stakes testing is far from a panacea, but I have witnessed a wave
      of positive change as a result of the added emphasis on serious
      academics, on professionalism amongst teachers and support staff, and
      especially on making sure that ALL (not just some) groups of students
      make academic progress. I think that, on balance, we're a lot better
      off than we were five years ago. It might be less comfortable for
      some people, but students seem to have grown (though of course they
      have a great deal farther to go) in their basic academic skills. This
      is no surprise, since the best way to "teach to the test" is to work
      harder (and smarter) to increase students' abilities in what the tests
      are attempting to measure, which are mainly literacy and numeracy.

      I'm always amazed to hear "test anxiety" given as a reason for
      avoiding tests. The poor children! They might be uncomfortable.
      Heaven forbid that we teach our students ways to overcome such
      anxieties; who needs to learn presence of mind, relaxation while under
      pressure, the courage and desire to thrive while performing difficult
      tasks, etc.? What use could that possibly have in the real world?

      I'm sure I'll be pilloried in this forum for holding these non-P.C.
      opinions, but so be it.

      Ralph

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, langlois-rine@... wrote:

      > Thanks, Kevin, Elizabeth, Eduardo and Jill for your lucid responses
      to David's question about why someone might want to opt their kids out
      of the state tests.

      > If you feel the state and federal laws on API and AYP are
      oppressive, and are frustrated by legislative foot-dragging, here are
      three levels of nonviolent resistance that could give lawmakers a
      wake-up call:

      > 1. Cooperative resistance: In the spirit of parents getting more
      involved in their children's education (something the pols say they
      want, right?)-- If massive numbers of parents exercised their FERPA
      rights to get copies of their children's test answer sheets and to
      review the test booklets so they can see what the answer sheets mean,
      it would really gum up the works. It would be important for teachers
      to support parents in making these requests.

      > 2. Noncooperative resistance, low risk: If massive numbers of
      parents opted their children out of taking the state tests, the
      program would soon fizzle. Again, teachers would need to be
      supportive of this action, even though state law prevents them from
      "encouraging" it. As for threats that opting out will cause the
      school to lose money, there is no documented case that I'm aware of
      where a school has actually lost any Title 1 funds due to parent opt
      outs.

      > 3. Noncooperative resistance, high risk: If massive numbers of
      teachers, with strong parental and student support, declared that
      instead of administering the tests, they were going to teach students
      on test days (and perhaps even invite the public to come watch them do
      that!), we could take back our schools and fill them with the positive
      learning communities in which people of all ages can thrive. As
      Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see."

      > Any other ideas?
      > Peace,
      > Marilyn

      > From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>
      >
      > > Ralph,
      > >
      > > In order to understand why a parent would opt out of testing their
      children
      > > you have to understand the testing and how the kids are prepared
      for it.

      > > Some of the tests are given two weeks of preparation. This means
      for two
      > > weeks lesson plans are put aside. There are only 180 days of
      instructional
      > > education in a school year. If each test takes an average of one
      week of
      > > preparation and there are four tests a year and the tests can take
      up to
      > > three days to give then there are a total of six weeks of test
      giving just
      > > for the State and Federal mandates. That is just for the students.
      Then you
> [...]
      > > find out where each student is but to keep the Federal dollars
      flowing into
      > > the schools. This district's plan while Gloria was in charge was
      to focus
      > > attention on about the lower middle student, educationally
      speaking. The
      > > district resources were given to those students because by raising
      that
      > > groups test scores the district could raise the overall scores
      enough to
      > > keep the low performing schools out of the levels that would cause
      a State
      > > takeover. In other words the testing became a manipulation of the
      original
      > > reasons for the tests and was not being used for the good of all the
      > > students. The lower level and upper level students were being
      abandoned in
      > > the hopes of raising the students scores that could help beat the
      system.

      > > If parents continue to allow this testing to go on without some
      sort of
      > > protest then the lower level kids and the upper level kids will
      continue to
      > > suffer from the loss of the two months taken away from their general
      > > education time that is taken up by testing, who's main reason has
      now become
      > > keeping the Federal dollars flowing.
      > >
      > > There is a way to test students individually that does what you
      suggest
      > > without taking away from the general education time. It was done
      while my
      > > daughter was at Richmond High and it was successful. However, it was
      > > torpedoed by downtown administration in favor of the above testing
      > > manipulation.
      > >
      > > The tests to support NCLB are different in every state so to say
      you can
      > > compare your child with other students because of these tests is a
      fallacy.
      > > Not only are each States tests different, the way each county and
      each
      > > district prepares their students is different. The way each
      teacher gives
      > > the test is different. Slight nuances, coaching, preparation, how
      the school
      > > notifies parents and encourages parental participation, all these
      reasons
      > > make a huge difference. When my daughter was in Independent
      elementary
      > > school the teacher gave the tests and went around to each student and
      > > suggested they check answers. Had I not been in the room I would
      not have
      > > seen that. What other teachers do in their rooms influence
      outcomes and
      > > therefore are not necessarily objective.
      > >
      > > The educational delivery system is broken and needs to be fixed. But
      > > starting with testing and working backwards is not a solution that
      I believe
      > > will help the students. We need to define what we want education
      to be,
      > > create a delivery system to meet that definition and then create
      tests that
      > > will validate that definition.
      > >
      > > Right now there is no clear definition of education so there can
      never be a
      > > test to validate this illusionary target we call an educated student.
      > >
      > > Kevin
      > >

      > > >From: "bedwellr"
      > > >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
      > > >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Too Many Tests?
      > > >Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 03:27:10 -0000
      > > >
      > > >Students may opt out at parental request, but I've never understood
      > > >why a parent would not want their child to take them. Taking the
      test
      > > >will (a) help parents know where their child stands in relation to
      > > >other students in their same grade; b) help teachers and
      adminstrators
      > > >know what strategies to use to best help that child in their
      education
      > > >in the near future; and (c) help keep the child's school off the
      > > >failing schools list. The test is free and valuable for all
      > > >concerned; I would never consider having my kids sit out the test!
      > > >
      > > >Ralph
      > > >
      > > >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Langlois

      > > >out of

      Fresno on
      > > >learned there

      Act), your

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2006
        Marilyn writes: "If massive numbers of teachers, with strong parental
        and student support, declared that instead of administering the
        tests,
        they were going to teach students on test days ... we could take back
        our schools and fill them with the positive learning communities in
        which people of all ages can thrive."

        Ralph Writes: schools "positive learning communities in which people
        of all ages ... thrive(d)"? While I certainly don't support NCLB as
        it is presently written, I definitely DO support heavy accountability
        within our schools, even if that is inconvenient or threatening to
        some. Unfortunately, it seems like many people are under the
        impression that our schools were tremendously successful until the
        evil of testing reared its ugly head. Nothing could be further from
        the truth, of course; our schools were failing miserably, which is
        why
        testing took on such added importance.

        Jill Writes: Ralph, it is not how NCLB is written, it is how it is
        being implemented that disturbs me. While I have a Hispanic son
        whom attends Kensington on a transfer. Myself take great pleasure
        when I see that he scores 85% better then the National level on
        certain subject matter. He was accepted based on Racial balance
        over 6 years ago before NCLB. He has had the same teacher for 5th
        and 6th grade. Only 7 true survivors in the 5th grade year as that
        was a split class with mainly 6th graders. His teacher Does Not
        Teach to The Tests! He finds creative ways to teach and engage the
        children. I as a parent appreciate this. His way does not leave
        any child behind, because they will get a well-rounded education and
        some will excel in at least 1 subject matter, or have walked away
        with knowledge that cannot be taught in Text Books that cost $80.00
        each.

        You know as this Frightened mother (myself) became active in the K-8
        what surprised me most was our very first meeting in which a lot of
        Staff from Bissel attended. We talked about our own Middle School
        experiences. Much to my surprise, most of our High Ranking
        Personnel came from PRIVATE SCHOOL.

        You will probably find the same I am sure when it comes to the NCLB
        act. Those that are profiting in the Private sector probably went
        to Private School. The intent was to help children, such as my
        son. So now as I was told Thursday that Foreclosures have tripled
        in San Pablo in the last month, I must refer to a previous post..THE
        CLEANSING of SAN PABLO and RICHMOND. Just kick us out and kill us
        off.

        ***SIGH***

        Jill

        -- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "bedwellr" <bedwellr@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > seen that. What other teachers do in their rooms influence
        > outcomes and
        > > > therefore are not necessarily objective.
        > > >
        > > > The educational delivery system is broken and needs to be
        fixed. But
        > > > starting with testing and working backwards is not a solution
        that
        > I believe
        > > > will help the students. We need to define what we want
        education
        > to be,
        > > > create a delivery system to meet that definition and then
        create
        > tests that
        > > > will validate that definition.
        > > >
        > > > Right now there is no clear definition of education so there
        can
        > never be a
        > > > test to validate this illusionary target we call an educated

      • Elizabeth Jaeger
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2006
> [...]
          > > > seen that. What other teachers do in their rooms influence
          > outcomes and
          > > > therefore are not necessarily objective.
          > > >
          > > > The educational delivery system is broken and needs to be
          fixed. But
          > > > starting with testing and working backwards is not a solution
          that
          > I believe
          > > > will help the students. We need to define what we want
          education
          > to be,
          > > > create a delivery system to meet that definition and then
          create
          > tests that
          > > > will validate that definition.
          > > >
          > > > Right now there is no clear definition of education so there
          can
          > never be a
          > > > test to validate this illusionary target we call an educated

        • Elizabeth Jaeger
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2006
            I would only ask for evidence of the improvement you site.

          • Marilyn Langlois
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
              Dear Ralph--
              You raise some very important points. I actually agree with you that many
              schools lacked positive learning communities before the recent spate of
              standardized tests. What I'm suggesting is that there are more than two
              possibilities (pre-STAR/NCLB status quo and current status quo): Let's look
              for the "third way" -- What were the problems before all the testing, and is
              there a better way to address them than heavy-handed, threat-based
              accountability?

              I also agree with you that we need to expect children to go outside their
              comfort zone in order to learn and grow. I would suggest that there are
              ways to do this that have more to do with the real word than agonizing over
              which bubble to fill in out of four choices. For example, they could be
              given a challenging and complex problem to solve together with a group of
              other students who all have different perspectives.

              Best wishes,
              Marilyn

              P.S. And Ms Ott-- You're right about building infrastructure and getting
              organized. My second paragraph above goes for adults, too. It's not always
              easy to practise what we preach!

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 4, 2006
                I can understand the concern for special ed students and foreign speaking students passing the standardized tests and high school exit exams, but frankly folks we need to have some sort of accountability for what our general ed children are learning in school. If you are a regular ed student who cannot pass the high school exit exam by the time you are in 10th grade, then we had better look at the education our children are receiving from K-10 and focus on improving that strategy. Avoiding the issues and making excuses will not help these children succeed to adulthood. If we don't raise expectations high we will have a third world society that cannot survive in this global economy.
                Tammy

                Elizabeth Jaeger <elizabethjaeger@...> wrote:
> [...]

                > > > seen that. What other teachers do in their rooms influence
                > outcomes and
                > > > therefore are not necessarily objective.
                > > >
                > > > The educational delivery system is broken and needs to be
                fixed. But
                > > > starting with testing and working backwards is not a solution
                that
                > I believe
                > > > will help the students. We need to define what we want
                education
                > to be,
                > > > create a delivery system to meet that definition and then
                create
                > tests that
                > > > will validate that definition.
                > > >
                > > > Right now there is no clear definition of education so there
                can
                > never be a
                > > > test to validate this illusionary target we call an educated

                Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
                Pinole CARE
                Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
                Pinole Valley High School Boosters
                Pinole Middle School Site Council President
                Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
                2668 Alhambra Way
                Pinole, CA 94564
                Home: 510-223-3857
                Work: 510-486-4460
                Fax: 510-222-4643
                Pager: 510-425-3192
                Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

                Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
                Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
                Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
                Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
                Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...
                Pinole CARE: parents@...
                WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Marilyn,
                  I hold you in high esteem, but I fear that the punitive parts of NCLB will rear its ugly head if for political reasons our kids opt not to take the test. Ask the parents and students at ECHS if they are happy because they went under the evil eye because a group of students decided to skip the test per teacher encouragement. The lack of taking the test has now put them at risk and oversight. How much freedom will they have now to educate the students at ECHS.

                  I believe that testing can be a pain, but as a parent I want to have some kind of testing against standards to know where my child is in the educational scheme. I do believe that punishing schools and students is the wrong thing to do if they can't reach the goals. Seems ridiculous when schools increase their API scores 150 points but fail AYP.

                  Tests and accountability is not going away. The question is whether we can find the right formula that addresses all the needs including accountability.
                  Tammy Campbell

                  langlois-rine@... wrote:
[...]

                  3. Noncooperative resistance, high risk: If massive numbers of teachers, with strong parental and student support, declared that instead of administering the tests, they were going to teach students on test days (and perhaps even invite the public to come watch them do that!), we could take back our schools and fill them with the positive learning communities in which people of all ages can thrive. As Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see."

                  Any other ideas?
                  Peace,
                  Marilyn

                  From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 4, 2006
                    --First, one should never avoid the issue of failing students, be it socially, emotionally or academically. But how many test does it take to know that a student is not progressing in the above areas? A teacher, parent, friend or family member would be able to know how a child is progressing without any one giving him/her a test. The test in most cases verify what is already known, therefore, "how many test does it take"?

                    Second, one must ask whether the data from "one" given test on "one give day" is a valid measure of a students abilities. If one believe so, then all the other test that students have taken (teacher observation, in class test, STAR, etc)have provide incorrect data or have been over looked by those in a position to help students move forward. Or as some would say, the public system is a place where social promotion is the game and student failure is their name. The implication behind the High School Exit Exam is a moral dilemma for teachers, administrators and parent to some degree. The questions are; have we allowed a student to pass all the requirements for graduation without proper preparation for the next steps in their life? Did we lie to students and parents about a child's ability to move on to the next level without him/her properly acquiring the necessary skills? Or is the curriculum taught so inadequate that what we think is an "A" student is merely a "C" at best or "D" st
                    udent?

                    If the answer to any one of the questions is "yes" then all the test in the world will not help the students, because by allowing a student to believe he/she has master the grade level requirements and much later tell them they are failures, is a crime of moral deviants that those who had a responsibility to the student's success should suffer the consequences. I hold parent the least responsible, in that they are told (and legally mandate until 16) to bring their children into a public environment that should enhance their abilities and where they are require to spend time, monies (tax dollar) supporting when their children are not receiving what school district's say they are doing to improve the quality of life for the students. Maybe this explains the home school and charter school movement. Any child that has pass all District level requirements for graduation and do not receive a diploma because of the Exit Exam should sue any and all persons involved in their education.

                    As far as opting out of testing, one should do so, if they believe that the test is not a valid measure of a students ability or if they believe it is morally wrong to kill the spirit of a student after years of study and blaming the victims of a morally corrupt system. Therefore, board member David Brown action is an act of civil disobedience that should be supported because to do otherwise is to say, "you have supported a system that have not done its job and you have lied to students and parents for all the years that the students have been in your charge". Not only have you lied to them, but you have taken their most important resource, their children and tax dollars to feed an academically and morally corrupt system.

                    Also, as it relates to third world societies, educationally, they are more advanced then this capitalist society. Most of the leadership of this country have been "C" students. Therefore, as history will show, the most morally diviant persons are the ones with the most wealth. All one has to do is to look at the labels on most items they buy and know that we are producing nothing but a morally corrupt leadership that will not stand the test of time.

                    From: Tammera Campbell <tammeracampbell@...>