Investment pays off for Foundation

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
      Just when you think you have seen it all.

      Is this an endowment fund for an endowment fund.

      Now the general fund is going to pay a private entity almost a third of a
      million dollars of tax payers money. This money is being taken from the
      general fund. Also, it is backdated to July 1 2005.

      Oh that is right. Tomorrow is April 1st. This must be an April Fools joke.

      How is it, that a private non profit foundation can start a program in a
      school system with their money, get all the accolades of being so benevolent
      and then four years later be paid off with almost a third of a million
      dollars. This program was said to be self sustaining and benefiting the kids
      without cost to the district. Is this now going to be an annual payment for
      the foundation. Will it get a cost of living raise. Will it eventually
      become the district's total responsibility.

      Why is spending one third of a million dollars hidden under a Consent Item
      and additionally buried in the consultant page.

      This is not categorical money, this is taking $10 from every single student
      in the district and giving it to one single non profit entity. Plus as I
      have said it is back dated clear to July 2005.

      Am I the only one who has a problem with this.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
        Dear Kevin,

        I wish you would be more specific about which non-profit. I have
        seen this in the past. I tried to reach out and let the public
        know. I think we need to start printing in English and Spanish and
        pass out flyers to the public!
        I have not received my Board Packet to date.
        I only made it to D1 so far. I don't like to read it on line.

        So far my highlights are that Seaview, a closed school will be
        recognized for making its AYP 2004-2005.

        Then the cynical side of me looks at the deaths of our employee's
        and notes Fiscal Impact zero. Well as we all take a moment of
        silence for and pray for these families, WCCUSD can be released of
        its obligation to Lifetime Benefits.
        Does the public know how many of our Employee's will be retiring
        with these Lifetime Benefits this year? It is not that some are not
        well deserving of this. It's the ones that are able to put in
        only "5 years and retire at, I think at 55" that gets to me.
        It saddened me more to hear about our youth whom have passed on.
        They don't make note of the violent deaths that they met with. They
        will have no Future!

        Ok Time to have Breakfast and read more..

        Jill

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>
        wrote:

        > Just when you think you have seen it all.
        >
        > Is this an endowment fund for an endowment fund.
        >
        > Now the general fund is going to pay a private entity almost a
        third of a
        > million dollars of tax payers money. This money is being taken
        from the
        > general fund. Also, it is backdated to July 1 2005.
        >
        > Oh that is right. Tomorrow is April 1st. This must be an April
        Fools joke.

        > How is it, that a private non profit foundation can start a
        program in a
        > school system with their money, get all the accolades of being so
        benevolent
        > and then four years later be paid off with almost a third of a
        million
        > dollars. This program was said to be self sustaining and
        benefiting the kids
        > without cost to the district. Is this now going to be an annual
        payment for
        > the foundation. Will it get a cost of living raise. Will it
        eventually
        > become the district's total responsibility.
        >
        > Why is spending one third of a million dollars hidden under a
        Consent Item
        > and additionally buried in the consultant page.
        >
        > This is not categorical money, this is taking $10 from every
        single student
        > in the district and giving it to one single non profit entity.
        Plus as I
        > have said it is back dated clear to July 2005.
        >
        > Am I the only one who has a problem with this.
        >
        > Kevin

      • ladyluvslife67
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
          I don't have my copy of the board packet yet
          Lemme Guess

          Bay Area Community Resources (BACR)

          Mr. Rivard, remember Glen Price stands by this organization
          and the wonderful work they do. I would too, if anyone
          actually returned my call or inquiries about what they
          are doing in our schools, why they took over as "fiscal
          agent" for many of our after school programs, and a ton
          more stuff.......
          We gave them a half of a million dollars EASY in 2005

          Wait a minute
          is it..........................
          West Contra Costa Business and Education Unitied??????

          I have been WAITING for them to reemerge, they were GUNG
          HO on working with the community until that WALL OF ANGER
          came up.....Once the money ran out, no more meetings...
          until they came up with another way to come to the board
          with their hand out.

          Or could it be the
          WHITTIER EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION???????

          I skimmed through some puff piece about them "donating" money
          to something for our kids (probably their own program)
          They are a non-profit organization
          Well in name anyway

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
            On Page 51 of 195, on the Professional Consultant's page, in this week's
            Board Packet for those who have not received it yet is the following:
            Chief Academic Officer

            7/1/05
            thru
            6/30/06

            The Whittier Foundation

            $342,904

            General Fund

            The Whittier Foundation has provided funding and services related to the
            TechFutures program for three District high schools since 2002. The
            TechFutures Program is intended to provide advanced Internet computer
            applications training for students with a unique focus on Internet
            technologies, applications, services, business concepts and the Internet
            economy. The proposed agreement memorializes the terms of provision of those
            services for the 2005/06 school year, including six classes funded by the
            District and three classes donated by the Foundation. This will impact a
            total of 9 classes. The Whittier Foundation shall provide nine classes at
            three District high schools for the 2005-06 school year, six funded by the
            District and three donated by the Foundation. These services will be
            performed at El Cerrito High School, Kennedy High School and Richmond High
            School.

            This is $10 from every student in the district taken from their general fund
            money's. Next time the district says they do not have money for soap or
            toilet paper in the bathrooms think how much soap and toilet paper could
            have been bought for 0ne-third of a million dollars. Also, how has the
            district been paying for this contract for the last 8 months and who
            authorized those payments and if the contract is already in force why is it
            just coming before the Board for ratification. How many other contracts are
            currently in force, being paid and have not been authorized by the Board.
            This is just one contract and it is worth one-third of a million dollars
            directly from the general fund.

            I have no doubt the Board will ratify this just like every other
            unauthorized spending that the administration does and then after the fact
            comes to the Board for their OK.

            Kevin

          • ladyluvslife67
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2006
              Well doesn't this mean they can't be a non-profit
              anymore????
              If the district is giving them almost a half of
              a million dollars???
              And I thought they were also getting money from
              the CCC-ROP???
              Is this more money to offer the ROP classes?
              Or the two year committment classes???

              Wait a minute, did the CCCOE finish their investigation
              into the credentials of these technology instructors?
              Could have sworn that I read something about that.
              I know firsthand that some of their instructors had
              no experience working with kids (or secondary ed credentials)
              before coming to Tech Futures. This was for the 2004-2005
              school year so maybey they went to school?

              And TechFutures also launched a website for WCCUSD
              HIGH SCHOOL REFORM for the "BIG" effort to engage
              the community in communicating during the TAKE
              STOCK efforts of tha "BluE Riboon Committee" nonsense
              a while back. The website was taken down, and Tech Futures
              had all that information, but as far as I know it was never
              shown to the board OR the public. I really wanted to call
              the State on that one, being that I thought the grant monies
              were misappropriated if STATE grant was spent on this site
              and the public still has not seen the information received.

              Oh, and yes I ASKED to see that information. I was on
              that Blue Ribbon Committee. The last meeting I went to,
              Mr. Whittier confirmed that they indeed had the information.
              Im sure at this point, it was sent to the RECYCLE BIN long
              ago.

              _________

              _________

              _________

              _________

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                If the money given is used to pay costs like inflated
                administrative salaries, they can still be non-profit.
                Thee are many ways to gobble money to prevent profit.
                Maybe they need the money to find answers to all your
                questions; maybe they need the money to hire
                consultants (friends, of course) to find the
                answers...

                Eduardo

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Alicia-

                  The Whittier Foundation has been trying to get access to some part of
                  the ROP (categorical vocational ed.) money that is allocated for
                  students in the District. This ROP money is actually controlled by the
                  County Office of Education. Last time I checked with the County
                  Superintendent a few months ago he seemed quite happy with the way the
                  County was spending the money and was very uninterested in parting
                  with any of it. In the meantime, it is certainly within the realm of
                  possibility that he may have changed his mind or had it changed for
                  him by the State. I'll double-check.

                  Charley Cowens

                • ladyluvslife67
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    Charley-
                    Thanks so much, look forward to hearing soon.
                    And I hope you are feeling better.

                    I do remember TF kicking off classes called ROP
                    classes over at ECHS around OCTOBER 2004. It was the alternative
                    offering to the TF 2 year committment class that my son was enrolled
                    in. Unclear also why all the "graduates" of the TF program are only
                    from ECHS, even though TF has classes at Kennedy and RHS.
                    AMEDINA

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                      The 2005 TF class had kids from both ECHS and Kennedy. It's a 2 year
                      program, so maybe the kids at Richmond are only in the first year.
                      Cathy

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                        --Kevin:

                        Don't you know, that any order to make big money you must spend a little.

                        From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                          Alicia-

                          I checked again. The County still has the ROP money for now. The
                          Whittier Foundation must have been failed in their attempts to tap
                          into the ROP money. They used to appear at Budget Advisory Committee
                          meetings, but then I guess they figured out a better way to get some
                          money out of the District.

                          I think Kevin has already pointed out the after-the-fact nature for
                          this very large contract. This is really a giant reimbursement. What's
                          missing is any explanation of how they came up with that number. _If_
                          you accept that a completely private agency should directly control
                          part of the instructional program in the schools, then I think a
                          fairer way to approach this would be for Tech Futures to stick to a
                          set number of classes before the school year begins and then for the
                          District to subsidize Tech Futures for the pro-rated ADA for the
                          students' time in these classes minus the overhead cost of running a
                          school and a District. Perhaps someone who has a better idea of how
                          Tech Futures classes are structured could venture a guess as to how
                          close this would be to the $340,000 figure even without the deduction
                          for overhead.

                          Charley Cowens