[Fwd: West County partnership receives grant to fight childhood obesity]

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: West County partnership receives grant to fight childhood obesity
      Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:03:56 -0800
      From: Paul Ehara <pehara@...>

      This Apple Bite (with photo) is now available online at
      http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/communications/Apple_Bites/2006/03_16.pdf.
      ================
      *Apple Bite*
      News from the West Contra Costa Unified School District
      1108 Bissell Ave. * Richmond, CA 94801-3135 * (510) 234-3825
      www.wccusd.k12.ca.us

      For immediate release * March 16, 2006 or thereafter * No. 0506-23
      Contact: Paul Ehara, Director of Communications and Community
      Engagement, (510) 620-2246

      *West County Partnership Receives Grant to Fight Childhood Obesity*

      [Photo] Above: Barbara Becnel, Wayne D. Morris, Gayla DiMaggio, and a
      very large check.

      Students, staff, and local dignitaries gathered in the Richmond High
      School Student Center to celebrate the West County Community Health
      Improvement Network, a collective of organizations that includes the
      West Contra Costa Unified School District and is led by Neighborhood
      House of North Richmond (NHNR). The collaborative group was one of three
      applicants chosen by Kaiser Permanente to receive a 5-year, $1.4 million
      grant, which will be used to combat childhood obesity. There was a
      variety of speakers, including NHNR Executive Director Barbara Becnel,
      Richmond Mayor Irma Anderson, and WCCUSD Interim Superintendent Cynthia
      LeBlanc. Students particularly enjoyed a performance by Los
      Angeles-based hip hop artist Kam, who rapped about the importance of
      eating right.

      “We at the school district are absolutely convinced that good nutrition
      and good health result in improved learning, attendance, and behavior,”
      said Dr. LeBlanc during her remarks to the audience. “Thank you to all
      of our collaborative partners, and thank you to all of the students for
      all that they’re doing to improve the health of our community.”

      “One of our main goals is to engage the community through the schools,”
      said Gayla DiMaggio, Medical Group Administrator at the Kaiser
      Permanente Richmond Medical Center. “The schools are a wonderful way to
      directly reach the children.” Kaiser Permanente’s HEAL grant program is
      targeted at community organizations that are promoting healthy eating
      and active living. For more information please call Neighborhood House
      of North Richmond at (510) 235-9780, or go to the Kaiser Permanente
      ommunity benefits webpage at
      http://xnet.kp.org/communitybenefit/regions/index.html.

      # # #