Re: board agenda?

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 13, 2006
      Glen,
      Thanks for popping in.
      The website being non-functioning and email problems
      with the district is really inexcuseable. While you
      know way more about this stuff, I hope you get no
      less than ALL THE FACTS about what in the world
      happened downtown.

      Of course - websites can have issues. Of course -
      when new things are updated or whatever stuff can
      happen.

      The problems were more than that, for example the
      emailing issue that has been goofed up since Thursday
      nite: It doesn't bounce the email back right away, it
      attempts to send for 2 hours and then deletes it

      HERE IS THE ERROR THAT WAS PRODUCED:
      <don.proia@...>

      451 <don.proia@...>... gw.wccusd.k12.ca.us: Name
      server timeout
      Message could not be delivered for 2 hours
      Message will be deleted from queue

      Attempting to access the website produces this error:

      can't find the web site 500 Unknown Host The site may no longer exist
      or it may have moved.
      Double-check for any misspellings, punctuation errors, or extra
      spaces.
      If these suggestions do not work, try restarting your computer
      HOW MANY PARENTS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS LOST THEIR VOICE IN
      COMMUNICATING WITH THE DISTRICT WITH THESE TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES?

      I have a copy of the board packet - it came in the mail Saturday.
      It is very alarming when people like Cathy cannot access this
      information online and you should be very concerned. Cathy
      represents the "matter of fact" parent who keeps people calm.
      When a parent like Cathy is speaking about her frustration in
      obtaining information,
      well I think you know we have a serious problem.
      And then parents like me begin to think about
      "failure to disclose" and "conspiracy" and "keeping the people down"
      types of thoughts.
      PLEASE Glen, I want to turn to technology to improve communication
      in this district. H-E-L-P
      amedina
    • Glen Price
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 13, 2006

        --
        Glen Price
        Member, Board of Trustees

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
          I need to chime in here. Being an IT person everyone needs to take another look at the situation from an IT perspective.

          Yes I too was upset that I could not send timely emails or access the website because the entire system was down, but I understand that when you have a major piece of hardware go down and you rely on your vendors to come out and support the system over a weekend, that sometimes it does not go your way. I understand that the district lost two pieces of critical hardware. I do not know what kind of maintenance contracts they have, but I do know that 24-7 contracts are very expensive. Remember we are not a rich district and we may not have the funds to maintain 24-7 contracts with our vendors. How do we know that the delay may have been due to the vendor. Regardless, good/expert IT people cannot always predict when hardware will fail. They can suggest that when a piece of hardware hits about the three year limit, we had better think about replacing it. But let's be realistic, this district does not have the money to be that proactive.

          Given this possible scenario, maybe we should be thankful for how far the district has come in producing a website that we have begun to rely on.

          ladyluvslife67 <ladyluvslife67@...> wrote:
[...]

          Secondary school education Graduate school education Home school education Graduate school education online High school education Middle school education

          Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
          Pinole CARE
          Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
          Pinole Valley High School Boosters
          Pinole Middle School Site Council President
          Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
          2668 Alhambra Way
          Pinole, CA 94564
          Home: 510-223-3857
          Work: 510-486-4460
          Fax: 510-222-4643
          Pager: 510-425-3192
          Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

          Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
          Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
          Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
          Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
          Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...
          Pinole CARE: parents@...
          WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
            Communication is one of the job requirements of Paul Ehara who is being well
            paid to keep the public informed.

            How nice it would have been for him to simply put what you just stated
            Tammy, should that have been the case and then we all would have understood
            the problem and at least been less annoyed.

            But, even in your post Tammy, you are defending the district with
            assumptions. Assumptions that could have been readily dismissed or supported
            with simple communication.

            That is all we are asking for is, improved communication.

            Considering the amount of money spent in the PR department I do not see that
            that is to much to ask.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 15, 2006
              I have to agree with Kevin that some communication, even after the fact,
              would have been helpful. I work at Kensington School in the computer
              lab. When I came in Friday and found that we had no internet access I
              checked with the secretary, who had no information. The only information
              we received was late Thursday - a message that there was a problem with
              the phone system. Since we now have VOIP (voice over internet protocol)
              I realized that the problems were likely related. I called downtown and
              got the message that the problem was with the phone lines and there was
              no estimate, and lots of laughing. I've never heard any explanation of
              what happened, and I think it would be helpful. I certainly don't expect
              things to work perfectly, I just want to know what's going on.
              Communication, on any level, isn't a strong point of this district.
              Cathy

            • Ms. Ott
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 18, 2006
                I'd like to offer additional IT perspectives on the issue of servers
                going down, and what we reasonably can expect as well as learn from
                IT professionals who've been through this for decades.

                _________________

                "24/7" SERVICE IS UNREALISTIC, BUT THE GOAL NONETHELESS

                Things don't always go your way. Very true. There will be down
                time. Your servers will not be up 24 hours, 7 days a week 365.25
                days a year unless you have LOTS and lots of money.

                However, if there your system has *lot* of downtime, and a lot of
                problems, it's important to do an intelligent analysis of the root
                cause, not just write it off to the real and inherent instability of
                complex technological systems. In the case of continuing problems,
                one should identify if the major cause is financial, procedural or
                human limitations?

                If recurring problems are financial in nature, one must think like
                us po' folks bin doin' fo' a long time, and be creative with
                financial solutions like schmoozing for free stuff, looking through
                the recycling bins (metaphorically), and the like. Were I managing
                a public or non-profit IT department, I would creat an IT volunteer
                system to give all the schlep IT work someone else, so I could free
                up time for my high-paid, high-level thinking staff like me -- time
                to create even better streamlined systems with less money and manage
                the whole thing.

                If recurring problems are procedureal in nature, then the procedures
                need to be re-examined and adjusted for current realities.
                Procedural improvements require a way for people to communicate with
                someone with power to make the changes and suggest possible
                solutions to procedural problems.

                If recurring problems are one or two humans' limitationS, and the
                same human keeps making errors, then it's time for rapid improvement
                or a replacement.

                Tamara pointed out (msg. 7205) that, "Good/expert IT people cannot
                always predict when hardware will fail." I agree, but let's not
                neglect to mention also that good IT experts create good failsafe
                systems. And when all else fails, good IT customer support
                personnel do not laugh about the problem to people who are
                understandably upset by the problem.

                _________________

                SIMPLE, COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTION FOR THE FUTURE

                HOW TECH SUPPORT AGENTS HANDLE A DOWNTIME CRISIS

                Procedurally, the front-line folks handling the disgruntled callers
                already have a standard text to read, or have some information from
                the higher-ups to tell the upset customers. This should have been
                done a LONG time ago. It costs very little money to make this
                happen as it's merely a matter of:

                (1) writing a stock response to be used in the case of
                downtime (a one time project) that has a place to insert a short
                explanation of the current problem and estimated uptime ("unkown at
                this time is sometimes necessary," and "within 24-hours," are used
                often);

                (2) Write another couple paragraphs to train the employees how
                to use this stock response in the case of problems (include the part
                about treating callers' concerns with respect, not laughing,
                apologizing profusely, appeasing the upset caller, and getting of
                the phone as fast as you possibly can -- there's going to be a lot
                of callers and a rough day for everyone involved);

                (3) set the procedure by hand-waving and blessing, and assign
                who is responsible for authorizing what folks should be saying to
                callers about explanation and expected on the day the next downtime
                event occurs.

                _________________

                PROCEDURE - HAVING ALTERNATIVES

                Having an email server go down is a horrible affair for all
                involved. I wasn't affected by the outage, but what I've assumed
                from rumors is that the district lost only WCCUSD web and email
                SERVERS -- but not internet connectivity. Could teachers,
                libraries, and admins still access the internet, and go to other web
                sites while on school campuses -- just not access email or district
                web sites? Does anyone know?

                The reason I ask is because if district personnel could still access
                the internet, their failsafe system for communication could have
                been a free yahoo or hotmail account. And what could that (allowing
                people to access yahoo.com) possibly be costing the district that it
                doesn't get twentyfold in return?

                If you're penny-wise, you're pound foolish.

                ____________________

                From your friendly neighborhood IT geek girl,

                Ms. Ott
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18, 2006
                  I work in the computer lab at Kensington school. We had no internet
                  access at school which meant we couldn't access web-based email or any
                  web sites from school. I also couldn't email district personnel during
                  this "outage" without it bouncing, saying they didn't exist.

                  Cathy

                  Ms. Ott wrote:

                  >PROCEDURE - HAVING ALTERNATIVES
                  >
                  >Having an email server go down is a horrible affair for all
                  >involved. I wasn't affected by the outage, but what I've assumed
                  >from rumors is that the district lost only WCCUSD web and email
                  >SERVERS -- but not internet connectivity. Could teachers,
                  >libraries, and admins still access the internet, and go to other web
                  >sites while on school campuses -- just not access email or district
                  >web sites? Does anyone know?

                • ladyluvslife67
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20, 2006
                    We also found out at the last school board meeting that
                    the server issue crippled our FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT and
                    the work they had to do. Ms. Vedovelli spoke about this.

                    Mr. Price attempted to make an amendment that if tech
                    issues like this come up again, the board gets a report
                    on what is going on. It was a "friendly" amendment so
                    don't expect much.

                    AMEDINA

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 22, 2006
                      Alicia-

                      Friendly amendment is just a parliamentary term. What was it a
                      friendly amendment to?

                      Charley Cowens

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                        Gee Kevin exactly how was the district going to communicate with all of us over the weekend when there was no website or a server. I suppose they should just get a hold of all our phone numbers and call each and every one of us. But then again they could have taken an ad out in the paper. Oops I forgot, West County Times does not publish anything really about west county, they are more concerned with Albany and Berkeley.

                        I do agree that the district should have explained a little more thoroughly after the fact, but really do we really care what happened or would even understand the explanation?

                        I did not defend the district, what I did was point out another angle that no one ever considererd, but then again it is always easier to bash the district, the educators, the administrators and the public for not doing their job in educating these kids.

                        Sometimes the negativity gets old folks and frankly I don't have the energy to combat it anymore. What I am doing is trying to pull together my community at my end of the district to give a damn about these schools and push forward. Yes I can get testy with the best of them, but I put in the time at many meetings and do a lot of research to understand the big picture. I spend hours sending out communications via email and publishing newsletters to tie us all together.

                        I have adults who are disengaged in the educational system and it is my job to get them engaged. I have teachers who are disengaged in the educational system and it is my job to communicate with them to try and improve the system for them. I have students who are totally disengaged beating the crap out of each other and not respecting one another.

                        Well I am a parent who needs to move on and bring a more positive light to my schools. I want to motivate and inspire people to care and improve their schools. I want to pull this district out of the hell hole it is because if we don't we might as well kiss this next generation good-bye. Do we want to do something about it or not!
                        Tammy

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                          Tammy,
                          Its the breakdown of communication that makes these
                          things so much worse. We have a Communications department,
                          simply someone from the AITS dept could have picked up their
                          phone and called to give our communications dept a status of
                          what the problem was.
                          That way when people like Cathy T calls in to find out what
                          is up, the info is there. Yes we often jump to the conclusion
                          that we are always the last to know things. With what the
                          district gives us to work with, can you blame us?

                          Hey you know way more about this stuff that I do. There was
                          major hoo-hah and high-five praise over getting a big technology
                          grant and I thought that was used to get us a brand new server.

                          The Communications department does a fantastic job when they
                          get the information to give to the public. The Communications
                          department's phone # is given to anyone and everyone to call in
                          to the district for just about any kind of information.

                          It made no sense that someone didn't think, "Gee lets talk
                          with the Communication Dept and tell them what we know"
                          Like preparing a press release,
                          spinning a not so pleasant situation

                          It would have been a lot better to get one of those standard
                          PGE responses (when power goes down)
                          "We have identified the problem and are working to correct
                          it - Please call back for further information" As soon as the
                          problem has been identified and we can determine how long to fix
                          it, we will update our Communications department"

                          And as for calling everyone, the district does have the list of
                          people who get the APPLE BITES and weekly news from the district.
                          Contact could have been made that way.
                          Oh wait,
                          if the system was down that would not be possible.
                          Grrr thats why technology drives me nuts sometimes!!!
                          AMEDINA

                          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
                          <tammeracampbell@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >

                          > >I have a copy of the board packet - it came in the mail Saturday.
                          > >It is very alarming when people like Cathy cannot access this
                          > >information online and you should be very concerned. Cathy
                          > >represents the "matter of fact" parent who keeps people calm.
                          > >When a parent like Cathy is speaking about her frustration in
                          > >obtaining information,
                          > >well I think you know we have a serious problem.
                          > >And then parents like me begin to think about
                          > >"failure to disclose" and "conspiracy" and "keeping the people
                          down"
                          > >types of thoughts.
                          > >PLEASE Glen, I want to turn to technology to improve communication
                          > >in this district. H-E-L-P
                          > >amedina

                          > > Secondary school education Graduate school education
                          > >school education Graduate school education online High

                          Service.