Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: mrad giveaway

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
      Alicia-

      I don't know. He may have been referring to some particular PTAs.

      Charley Cowens

    • Maureen Toms
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
        Dear Board Members:

        I am writing you regarding the MRAD/City of Richmond/PAL item that was
        on your agenda this week and held over to next week. The agenda
        description and the staff report failed to mention where the proposed
        gym is located. This omission appears to be a violation of the Brown
        Act. The agenda item, although brief, needs to adequately describe the
        project, including the location. I read the staff report online and I
        still do not know where this gym is. Is it on the Richmond or Kennedy
        High School Campus? Is it on one of the middle school campuses? If
        not, I strongly urge you to reject the proposal, as the MRAD funds
        should be used on our campuses first.

        The staff report did not say where in the MRAD budget these funds are
        coming from. Are they across the top or from a dedicated school(s) mrad
        budget? Did the site councils from those schools approve the
        expenditure? If so, is it appropriate for a current site council to
        allocate moneys from the budgets of eight future years?

        Last week, the Bond Oversight Committee received a report on the ability
        to adequately maintain our existing facilities. The District cannot
        fund the appropriate number of maintenance workers to adequately
        maintain our existing facilities.

        Coming from Pinole, I have witnessed some outstanding partnerships with
        other organizations, but in my opinion, the one in Richmond is the wrong
        type. Could the City/PAL use an existing gym on one of our campuses and
        bring their programs there?

        I may have missed something because the information was not available.
        However, I would urge you to reject the proposal to use the MRAD funds
        in this manner or provide a better explanation to the public (in advance
        of the Board Meeting) as to why the District should do this.

        Sincerely,

        Maureen Toms

      • ladyluvslife67
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
          Mr. Cowens-
          Thanks for replying so quickly.

          The scenario of our school PTAs being able to
          upkeep the grass/fields/plants/trees at the sites
          is a very nice idea, but as you know better than
          I do, some sites don't even have active PTAs.

          I am concerned that this misleading statement made
          by Mr. Kilmartin is something he is just saying so
          everyone can see the "PTA" is involved and ASSUME
          oooohhhhhhh then that must be OK.

          Another thought is the issues with people being on
          our site grounds. The PTA has the permission of the
          district to be allowed to use the site for their meeting
          right? What if Mr. Kilmartin is saying this BECAUSE
          of this factor? That people will believe the statement
          even MORE because they know enough that the schools just
          cant get anyone to come to the sites and take care of the fields
          and the grass. The PTA is the most recognized organization
          to anyone - regardless of how much they know about the
          school district.

          Once again, this reminds me of a City of Richmond meeting
          of the Safety Commission after the uproar over the merging
          of the continuation campuses. When our Chief of Police
          tells our city council members that the district didn't
          even talk to him about this potential merger. We then
          had Dr. Cohen attempt to use language to soothe the
          councilmembers and community members by assuring
          the city council that the district cared very
          much about keeping the community in the loop
          and going to the "neighborhood councils" and
          other ways to get feedback from the city.

          Mr. Kilmartin should have a very good understanding of the PTA if he
          is indeed suggesting that this occur. And like you said, if it is
          CERTAIN PTAs I would still URGE HIM to draw up an agreement so we
          have something in writing. I would URGE OUR SCHOOL BOARD MAJORITY
          to start AT THE TOP and EMPHASIZE THE POWER OF COLLABORATION AND
          PARTNERSHIP. It would benefit Mr. Kilmartin actually because
          he would have made an HONEST effort to COLLABORATE with
          existing resources for the better of our schools.

          If not then our school board must keep that HUGE GIGANTIC
          FILE of DECISION THAT COME BACK TO HAUNT THEM wide open
          so they can remember just what fancy words were put on
          paper by Mr. Kilmartin to approve this.

          AMEDINA
          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens
          <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Now that the district is flush with new bond money they are
          > > spreading your
          > > > school tax dollars around to other taxing agencies. How nice
          > > spend others
          > > > money in a way that was not approved by the voters.
          > > >
          > > > This board is becoming just like the big boys, the county, the
          > > state and the
          > > > feds. Once they get your money they just make friends by
          giving
          > > it away.
          > > >
          > > > Oh well, this community gets what it deserves.
          > > >
          > > > I am through fighting this fight. If the community does not
          care
          > > why should
          > > > I.
          > > >
          > > > Come on County, State, Feds this district has a Billion
          dollars
          > > it wants to
          > > > share. Come and get. The city of Richmond did.

          Secondary
          > > school education Graduate
          > > school education Home
          school

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
            Mr. Rivard,
            Its people like you that encourage others to
            seek the answer to:
            Why is that man so mad?

            In all honesty, until 5 years ago I was a most
            ignorant voter. Of course I voted, but rarely
            gave a thought to stuff like MRAD because it
            did not affect me, being that I was NOT a
            homeowner or business owner, so hey - I wasn't
            gonna have to have my property taxes increased
            but I sure wanted my kids schools to get some
            money. I actually voted for Charles Ramsey
            for school board in 1998 cause I was pregnant
            with my second kid and we already knew we were
            going to name him

            yes you guessed it

            CHARLES!

            My Uncle is a retired US HISTORY teacher. He is
            so disgusted with our government he is ready to
            move to Europe, where he lived for several years.
            He has helped me that even though you may read
            the text of the proposition on the ballot, the
            way things are worded can totally contradict what
            you think you are voting for.

            That is why you should NEVER SIGN PETITIONS TO GET
            THINGS ON THE BALLOT.
            NEVER!!!
            NEVER!!!
            That used to be something compelling to me, the
            advocacy in getting enough signatures to put it
            on the ballot. After talking to my Uncle, I actually
            stopped and read a few of those petitions on my way
            into Target one day. Give the State more power. More
            money for the schools. There are some catch phrases
            and subliminal comfort words these people know how
            to use to make something appealing to go along with.
            Anyway, I asked the guy what he knew about it. He
            tells me he doesn't know anything about it, other than
            he is getting paid 1 dollar per signature. Of course
            I run down to him how I don't believe getting things
            on the ballot because yadda yadda yadda yadda.

            he then says - "Ok then can you give me a dollar - Im
            hungry" as he is smoking a cigarette.

            EGADS!!!

            I will go through the archives this weekend and
            compile the information on MRAD and how gigantic
            that rug has become to shuffle the mismanagement
            of VOTER APPROVED MONEY FOR MAINTENANCE OF OUR
            SCHOOLS. The school board should be reported
            to the STATE or whomever appropriate for the
            misuse of this money! What laws does this
            fall under? If voters approved the monies
            for specific things, how can the district
            spend it on other things?
            AMEDINA

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>
            wrote:

            > Tammy,
            >
            > If the district wants to use general fund money that is not
            specifically set
            > aside or voted on by the voters for a specific need then let the
            district
            > make a case for supporting outside of district property needs by
            other
            > taxing agencies and lets see if the community would go along with
            that.

            > The monies that the communities are supporting the schools with are
            specific
            > to those community schools within their community. They are also
            either
            > redevelopment funds and or general funds without specific program
            or bonding
            > ties.
            >
            > When MRAD was sold to the community in 1994 it was sold as money to
            be used
            > for maintaining school property and paying for district employees
            > maintain such property. Now the district is proposing changing that
            original
            > charge for the MRAD funds without going back to the community and
            taxpayers
            > and asking the taxpayers if it is ok to redirect the funds of MRAd.
            That is
> [...]
            spreading
            > >your
            > > school tax dollars around to other taxing agencies. How nice to
            spend
            > >others
            > > money in a way that was not approved by the voters.
            > >
            > > This board is becoming just like the big boys, the county, the
            state and
            > >the
            > > feds. Once they get your money they just make friends by giving
            it away.

            > > Oh well, this community gets what it deserves.
            > >
            > > I am through fighting this fight. If the community does not
            care why
            > >should
            > > I.
            > >
            > > Come on County, State, Feds this district has a Billion dollars
            it wants
            > > share. Come and get. The city of Richmond did.

            school
            > >education Graduate school
            > >education Home school
            education

            > >Graduate school education
            online
            > >High school education
            Middle
            > >school education

            Service.

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 3, 2006
              >From: "Ms. Ott" <msott@...>
              >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: mrad giveaway - answers from Mr. Kilmartin's
              >Office
              >Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 21:02:20 -0000
              >
              >I'm happy to announce that even though Mr. Kilmartin is out of the
              >office, his Administrative Assistant, Ann Francisco sent me a copy of
              >the Dec. 12 meeting minutes, and the issue paper from the board
              >meeting packet. She also has called the Fiscal Dept. to get a copy of
              >the MRAD annual report. And, Mr. Kilmartin will get back to me
              >(probably Monday) about the questions I asked in my email.
              >
              >I've posted the documents online at:
              >
              >http://uscitizen.home.comcast.net
              >
              >Click on the "WCCUSD Facilities" link in the left frame to access the
              >documents.
              >
              >Now, *that's* the way to conduct business professionally. Big kudos
              >to Mr. Kilmartin and Ms. Francisco for being so responsive!
              >
              >--Ms. Ott

            • Ms. Ott
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 4, 2006
                Is anyone planning to go to the board meeting on Wednesday 2/8 to
                give public comment on Consent Item # E.27: (Maintenance Recreation
                and Assessment District [MRAD] Support for Richmond Police
                Activities League (PAL) Gym Project)?

                Be aware it's item #27 out of 27 Consent Items, so it may be rather
                late into the meeting when it occurs. However, for anyone who might
                be deterred by that, I suppose you could come later. As long as you
                submit your request to speak before discussion of the Consent Item
                begins, you should have the opportunity. Just as long as the Board
                doesn't move it to an earlier time.

                Here's the info from the Meeting Policies online at:

                http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/board/meeting_policies.shtml

                A "public hearing" will be held after each agenda item marked with
                an asterisk (*) ...This is an opportunity for the public to give its
                input to the Board. Individuals wishing to speak to an item must
                submit a "Request to Address the Board" form prior to the beginning
                of the "public hearing."
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Ms. Ott

                  Consent calendar items are at the beginning of the meeting, after oral
                  communications. But someone from the public must ask for it to be removed
                  from the consent calendar before the meeting or it will be voted on as part
                  of the package of consent calendar items without discussion.

                  The fact that it was put on by staff and allowed to be put on consent
                  calendar by the board member present at the agenda setting meeting for this
                  board meeting indicates to me the lack of understanding that this should not
                  be a Consent Calendar item, and holds little importance to staff or the
                  board.

                  Therefore anyone on this list that thinks it should have been an action item
                  on the agenda, for greater review, should e-mail or call all the board
                  members now and let your concerns be heard or the board will assume, just as
                  staff, that no one really cares how the MRAD funds are spent.

                  I used to go and ask items be taken off the consent calendar and board
                  members sometimes would ask staff, "How did this get on the consent calendar
                  when it obviously should have been an action item?" Do not fall for that
                  line because a board member is always present, usually the clerk or the
                  president of the board, at the agenda setting meetings, so do not believe
                  the board members, "OH AM I SURPRISED, deer in the headlight, attitude. They
                  are just hoping no one will notice until it is to late. This game has been
                  going on since I started attending board meetings in 1990. Same words, same
                  attitude just different bodies spouting the same surprise.

                  So anyway, if the item is pulled it can then be discussed by anyone from the
                  public who wishes as long as their speaking slip is in Greenwood's hand and
                  he remembers to read your name.

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                    I don't see how transparency and "creativity" in
                    deal-making are exclusive.

                    eduardo

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                      This is why clarity is essential. We should have to
                      go about making guesses, and worst yet, assumptions.

                      Eduardo

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Ms. Ott
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6, 2006
                        I can't speak for Charley, but when I read this:

                        > --- Charley Cowens wrote:
                        > If transparency is an important goal,
                        > "creativity" in deal-making should be avoided.

                        I interpreted "creative deal making" not as something creative
                        that's interesting and positive, or maybe solution-oriented.

                        It reminded me of one of my parents' favorite aphorisms, "Figures
                        don't lie, but liars figure."

                        This means, that two people can take the same numbers and one could
                        creatively manipulate them in a manner which obscures the truth, the
                        purpose of which is, of course, to economically benefit the
                        manipulator in some way. Another analysis would be more objective
                        and reflective of the truth perhaps revealing hidden costs or
                        potential consequences that would be obscured or unconsidered in a
                        biased analysis.

                        When I read what Eduardo wrote:

                        --- Eduardo Martinez wrote:
                        > I don't see how transparency and "creativity" in
                        > deal-making are exclusive.

                        I thought maybe he wasn't seeing creativity in that light -- as
                        manipulation to obscure the truth, which then, *would* be exclusive
                        of transparency.

                        Creativity doesn't rule out the possibility of
                        transparency. "Creative deal making" does.

                        Just an idea on the confusion...

                        English is a difficult language, but I find in oh, so fascinating.

                        Ms. Ott
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6, 2006
                          Vanessa,

                          By "creativity", I meant complexity in the neutral sense. Since
                          complexity makes things harder to understand, it's inherently less
                          transparent, but that may simply be necessary. I don't think good or
                          desirable overall transparency for an institution is the same as
                          perfect transparency.

                          Charley Cowens

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 7, 2006
                            Alicia-

                            Now, I think I have a clearer idea of what you're talking about.
                            You're not talking about PTAs being consulted about grounds
                            maintenance, but being hit up for grounds maintenance. To my
                            knowledge, this has come up in one specific school and even here I'll
                            have to double-check. It's also not a question of a quid pro quo for
                            access to the school, but, if anything, about the level of
                            maintenance. Once again, I'll have to ask about this.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 7, 2006
                              "Transparent" to me means being open, candid, frank.
                              For instance in this deal with the MRAD money, however
                              complex the deal may be, we should have been told
                              which facility the money is going to, and if there is
                              no particular facility, we should know that as well.
                              Transparency had more to do with the intent and the
                              follow through explanations of the persons sharing
                              information. I don't believe anyone is looking for
                              "perfect transparency", although that should always be
                              the target for which we shoot. At this point, we're
                              just hoping for something translucent, a step better
                              than this opacity we're currently getting.

                              Eduardo

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 7, 2006
                                I also meant to include that transparency is also
                                affected by one's ability to communicate. I didn't
                                waqnt to imply that all who aren't clear have other
                                motives.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Ms. Ott
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 10, 2006
                                  Today I received the MRAD Engineer's Report Fiscal Year 2005-2006 from
                                  Mr. Kilmartin's office. It is posted at:

                                  http://uscitizen.home.comcast.net/WCCUSD/Information/0506_Report_by_Shi
                                  lts.pdf

                                  for anyone who is interested. The moderator for this group may wish
                                  to add this to the "Files" section of this discussion group.

                                  Or, you can go to the index page:

                                  http://uscitizen.home.comcast.net/WCCUSD/Information/

                                  and click the link to the report.

                                  --Ms. Ott
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 10, 2006
                                    I've added a link to the Fiscal Report. Go to links and look under Fiscal.
                                    Cathy

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 10, 2006
                                      Ms. Ott,

                                      Thank you so much for putting the following on our site: Shilts MRAD report

                                      http://uscitizen.home.comcast.net/WCCUSD/Information/0506_Report_by_Shilts.pdf

                                      If you want to see 24 pages of how your MRAD money is suppose to be spent go
                                      to the above address and read. Especially read page 6 to read exactly what
                                      the voters voted on. Only property under the district's jurisdiction is to
                                      be given MRAD money. The go to page 9 and look at the MRAD budget and ask
                                      yourself which line item could the $200,000 given to the City of Richmond
                                      this past Wednesday be taken from.

                                      Once you figure that out please let me know and if you cannot figure it out
                                      send an e-mail question to Brown, Pfieffer and Ramsey and ask them to
                                      explain what wording in the 24 page document and budget allowed them to give
                                      away your children's MRAD money and what line item did it come from. Maybe
                                      it was that janitor that just got laid off. Or maybe it was that paint
                                      needed to cover the graffiti, maybe it was the gas for the lawnmower to mow
                                      the new grass at our renovated schools. It was taken from some school or
                                      cost some employee their job.

                                      dbrown247@...,karenepfeifer@...,hawgs@...(ramsey)

                                      This is just one more example of how this board shows you the public, who
                                      has supported the district by giving it your tax dollars, that they do not
                                      care how they spend your money. I do not believe this is what you want your
                                      money spent on but if you remain silent the board will assume you are ok
                                      with giving your tax money to other agencies that did not even have to ask
                                      you for it. The residents of Richmond decided not to give their own city an
                                      extra sales tax in the last election but you the tax payers of WCCUSD gave
                                      Richmond $200,000 on Wednesday night and did not even get a chance to vote
                                      on the tax.

                                      Are you going to remain silent. If so I guess the board is correct, you do
                                      not mind which I too will have to assume.

                                      Kevin