Fwd: Fwd:  Re: Curriculum Forum

  • Ali Medina
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
      Dear Glen,
      I want to commend you for always encouraging dialogue
      between all of us here in the district. Sometimes
      things are not pretty and I do admire your persistence.

      Words could not express how important a Curriculum Forum
      would be. Do I think there will be a huge turnout? Who
      knows. Can tell you this, it will open some dialogue if
      our teachers know they can speak up without some type
      of disciplinary issue. That is simply ridiculous.

      Please board members think about this.
      Taking a hard look at our curriculum and listening
      to "our" experts can do nothing but GOOD for all concerned.

      As a parent, it was necessary to educate myself
      on Open Court due to some challenges it brought
      to my son last year.
      Please Please Please for the children here in this
      district, hear some stories and learn how Open Court is
      doing TODAY.

      Thanks
      Alicia Medina

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Jaeger"
      <elizabethjaeger@h...> wrote:

      If all parties commit to profound and sustained dialogue about
      teaching and learning (including the research which points
      overwhelmingly to the expertise of teachers as the single most
      important factor in student achievement)and to then taking action
      based on the results of that dialogue, all we have gone through will
      be worth it.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, SarahCreeley@a... wrote:

      > Dear Glen,
      > Scottie told me you two talked Sunday morning, and that you were
      interested
      > in having a forum on curriculum practices, which I hope would
      include
      > professional latitude and teacher input. I urge you to conduct such
      a forum, with more
      > than one meeting to start an ongoing dialogue that will support
      teachers in
      > the work we do, and most importantly help our students. Please keep
      me posted on
      > what you are doing in regard to this forum. If I can be of help
      with this,
      > please let me know. Thanks!
      >
      > Also, this resolution was passed unanimously at yesterday's UTR
      Rep. Council
      > meeting.
      >

      > > Motion: "Reflective of the West Contra Costa USD's avowed
      repudiation of
      > > top down management, the UTR is opposed to the administrative
      transfer from
      > > Downer School of the teachers, Elizabeth Jaeger and Lina Prairie."
      > >

      > Finally, I don't know if you know Emily Vogler, an outstanding
      teacher who
      > retired last year. It is my belief that she would still be teaching
      if the
      > climate toward teachers were different. I remember when she
      interviewed for the
      > position I have at Hanna Ranch. She had seniority, so it was hers,
      but she
      > decided to stay at Downer because she felt the kids needed her more
      there. We are
      > losing great teachers!
      > LOVE,
      > Sarah

      --- End forwarded message ---

      ---- End Included Message ----

      Care2 make the world greener!

      Over 10 million children die from preventable or treatable diseases
      every year. Urge Congress to act today: http://go.care2.com/childact

      http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps charities.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
        I had a meaningful conversation with some teachers and our administration this last week at PVHS on how important it is for us to communicate on curriculum. Funny how we are talking about similar issues that our Downer folks are voicing, but at the secondary level. Our teachers have some strong views on what works and what doesn't. Our administration has some strong views on what works and what doesn't. I can feel we are on the edge of open dialog. When a teacher speaks out and says that this does not work for them, I turn to the administration and ask them to give me a good reason as to why we should continue. The administration comes back with the data they have of how and how they view the issues. I counter to the teachers and say what do you think? And they come back with a response and then real discussion happens. The point is that dialog needs to happen in an environment where we respect one another. If we really truly respected one another, then we would find our
        way. We have gotten to the point where we are not communicating.

        Was it really imperative that we remove well known teachers from Downer because they voiced an opinion they strongly believed in. They were thinking of their kids because frankly, they know their kids. But then again, in the real business world, when you go directly against your management your get fired. As a teacher, would you allow your students to go directly against your best judgement? No, because you have a bigger picture, you see what they need. Maybe our school district management really believes that this is the right path they are currently traveling. So I ask you, maybe the key components missing in our discussions are communicating and understanding. I can tell you this much, if we don't begin embracing these two missing components, then we are not thinking of the kids.
        Tammy

        <elizabethjaeger@h...> wrote:

        If all parties commit to profound and sustained dialogue about
        teaching and learning (including the research which points
        overwhelmingly to the expertise of teachers as the single most
        important factor in student achievement)and to then taking action
        based on the results of that dialogue, all we have gone through will
        be worth it.

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, SarahCreeley@a... wrote:

        > Dear Glen,
        > Scottie told me you two talked Sunday morning, and that you were
        interested
        > in having a forum on curriculum practices, which I hope would
        include
        > professional latitude and teacher input. I urge you to conduct such
        a forum, with more
        > than one meeting to start an ongoing dialogue that will support
        teachers in
        > the work we do, and most importantly help our students. Please keep
        me posted on
        > what you are doing in regard to this forum. If I can be of help
        with this,
        > please let me know. Thanks!
        >
        > Also, this resolution was passed unanimously at yesterday's UTR
        Rep. Council
        > meeting.
        >

        > > Motion: "Reflective of the West Contra Costa USD's avowed
        repudiation of
        > > top down management, the UTR is opposed to the administrative
        transfer from
        > > Downer School of the teachers, Elizabeth Jaeger and Lina Prairie."
        > >

        > Finally, I don't know if you know Emily Vogler, an outstanding
        teacher who
        > retired last year. It is my belief that she would still be teaching
        if the
        > climate toward teachers were different. I remember when she
        interviewed for the
        > position I have at Hanna Ranch. She had seniority, so it was hers,
        but she
        > decided to stay at Downer because she felt the kids needed her more
        there. We are
        > losing great teachers!
        > LOVE,
        > Sarah

        --- End forwarded message ---

        ---- End Included Message ----

        Care2 make the world greener!

        Over 10 million children die from preventable or treatable diseases
        every year. Urge Congress to act today: http://go.care2.com/childact

        http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps charities.

        Secondary school education Graduate school education Home school education Graduate school education online High school education Middle school education

        Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
        Pinole CARE
        Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
        Pinole Valley High School Boosters
        Pinole Middle School Site Council President
        Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
        2668 Alhambra Way
        Pinole, CA 94564
        Home: 510-223-3857
        Work: 510-486-4460
        Fax: 510-222-4643
        Pager: 510-425-3192
        Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

        Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
        Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
        Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
        Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
        Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...