Re: [wccusdtalk] (unknown)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
      To those who weren't watching the School Board meeting last night,
      Scottie is referring to the Board action to vote to eliminate
      disciplinary transfers as a formal part of the District policies and
      regulations. This was done in a way that wasn't particularly obvious
      in the agenda. It didn't really hit me that something was up until two
      Pinole City Council members appeared in our sparse audience.
      Basically, the elimination of disciplinary transfers was done as part
      of "cleaning up" of Board policies. Whatever the merits or demerits of
      disciplinary transfers, getting rid of them certainly seems necessary
      right now as a way of minimizing the legal exposure of the District.
      But, the upshot of this is that by removing a diversion alternative on
      the disciplinary ramp more kids will be expelled sooner (another
      exciting opportunity for the practice of public interest lawyerin').
      In fact one of the Pinole City Council members who spoke suggested
      that the District start putting portables at Gompers.

      Charley Cowens