Re: [wccusdtalk] SCHOOL SAFETY NO. 1 Priority?

  • Glen Price
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005

      --
      Glen Price
      President, Board of Trustees

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        Glen,

        I don't quite see how wandering around high schools randomly
        metal-detecting students on an ongoing regular basis is part of a
        positive school environment.

        Charley Cowens

        On 10/4/05, Glen Price <glen@...> wrote:
        > > Kevin:
        > >
        > > Thanks for your email message!
        > >
        > > Yes, use of metal detectors was begun this week, on a random basis at high
        > > schools.
        > >
        > > Other recently launched (since the start of school) districtwide safety
        > > initiatives have included:
        > >
        > > * Lanyards (id badges) worn by high school students and employees;
        > > * Formation of safety committees at all high schools to plan school level
        > > safety programs;
        > > * Facilitation of increased parent/community presence on campus;
        > > * Increased training/development plan for WCCUSD police force;
        > > * Additional restraint and first aid training for site supervisors;
        > > * Apparel for site supervisors (coming soon);
        > > * Formation and launch of districtwide safety committee; and
        > > * Several schools have received additional security guards.
        >
        > > We have a long way to go to build positive school climates on all of our
        > > campuses where all of our students and employees feel safe and secure ALL of
        > > the time. I know that we can get there if we can get a critical mass of
        > > students, parents, community members, and administrators all working
        > > hand-in-hand.
        > >
        > > Best wishes,
        > >

        > --
        > Glen Price
        > President, Board of Trustees
        > WCCUSD
        > email: glen@...
        >

        > > Has any parent or student heard of the Metal Detectors being removed from
        > > the closets and dusted off since the head wound and gun confiscation at El
        > > Cerrito High or was that just some more smoke and mirrors from the
        > > administration.
        > >
        > > After all no one really got too hurt, right.
        > >
        > > Just wondering if the Board had an emergency safety meeting I missed because
        > > I did not read the district web site the day it was announced. Has the Board
        > > demanded the administration finally follow Board Policy on Metal detectors
        > > that may have found those weapons before the head shot and before a student
        > > had to notify the school police about the gun on campus.
        > >
        > > Inquiring minds want to know. At least I do.
        > >
        > > Kevin

      • Jennifer E. Felix
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
          So I am still wondering when someone will comment on my little
          post. The fact that my kids feel safer than ever and that even subs
          can feel safe and respected doesn't seem to send a message to any of
          the school board members who received a 2" thick folder from me on
          Feb 4, 2004 detailing harassment by students AND administrators,
          loss of records and a personal $325 clarinet from a locked cabinet,
          and felony altering of medical records doesn't raise any red flags.
          The fact the United Stated Dept. of Education, Office for Civil
          Rights ruled in my favor over the district doesn't raise red flags
          seems to be the norm. I am sorry if I moved but as I said I still
          have family and friends' children attending schools in the WCCUSD
          which gives me more than a vested interest in what is still going on
          in the district. If Ms. Pfieffer can post what amounted to a public
          admonition of one of my letters, the least she could do is honestly
          research what I have posted, then I will happily debate the issues
          with her. I am sorry to say that her post only proved to me that
          power corrupts and ultimate power ultimately corrupts. Her
          demeanor, manner of speaking, and attention to detail has changed
          since she was elected, and not for the better. Not to be rude or
          insulting, but she appears to be taking lessons from Mr. Ramsey,
          which as we all know from his past shennanigans, is not necessarily
          the wisest choice for a newly elected board member.
          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens