Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Plagiarize, Plagiarize Plagerize

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
      --A good start would be the implementation of the March4Education's school reorganization plan. Second, national health insurance and third, a guaranteed livable wage for all families.

      From: "ralphebedwell" <ralphebedwell@...>
> [...]
      > > >
      > > > One of my daughters best friends from Richmond High is Black.
      > Scottie how do
      > > > you like that line. Wait a minute, Scottie, oh MY god, Scottie I
      > just had an
      > > > epiphany, and it is Sunday, it is almost like a miracle, Scottie
      > quick run
      > > > to the mirror. Scottie, one of my closet confidants in the fight
      > and look in
      > > > the mirror, you are Black. I never saw that before this time. The
      > truth has
      > > > set me free.
      > > >
      > > > Anyway I digress and probably have a lot of people pissed of but
      > what else
      > > > is new.
      > > >
      > > > Come on people, kids are kids and if you raise the bar they will
      > reach it. I
      > > > found the plan, we now do not need to pay $240,000 for a
      > consultant. We can
      > > > put all that money into the plan. Now let's get out there and
      > teach the
      > > > kids.
      > > >
      > > > Oh, yeah, wait, my daughters friend, there was a point to that
      > paragraph. My
      > > > daughters, friend, remember the Black one from Richmond High
      > (really that
      > > > wasn't so hard, Amber was in the 4% white minority at Richmond
      > High so most
      > > > her friends there were Black or Hispanic), anyway, her friend
      > came up on
      > > > graduation night, tears in his eyes and gave Lynette, my wife a
      > hug and said
      > > > thank you for helping him to graduate. He told Amber that had it
      > not been
      > > > for Amber and Lynn he would have dropped out. He now is going to
      > CCC and is
      > > > a player on the football team and hopes to go on to a University
      > on a
      > > > football scholarship. We took him out to dinner the other night
      > and he told
      > > > us how his mother had given him a car for graduation, albeit it
      > was a car
      > > > that was barely running and that was about it, but it was from
      > his mother
      > > > who had recognized the accomplishment of him being the first in
      > his family
      > > > to graduate from high school. Then he told us he came home from
      > college one
      > > > day and his car was gone. His mother had sold it and used the
      > money for what
      > > > she wanted that day. Tears again in his eyes. I hope Lynn's
      > starfish from
      > > > Richmond High can keep the prize in front of him and he is trying
      > to do that
      > > > and we will do what we can in our small way.
      > > >
      > > > Kids from any walk of life in the United States can make if given
      > a chance
      > > > and encouragement from any venue, now let's shut up Plagiarize
      > the plan and
      > > > get these kids going down their successful education and life

    • Michael McDonald
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
        Sounds good.

        Mike

        From: "ralphebedwell" <ralphebedwell@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2005
          Education.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2005
            Ralph-

            You've already heard the response that the achievement gap is simply a
            reflection of a more general life gap, but I would like to point out
            an implication of the question itself. The achievement gap meme
            essentially reduces public education to a kind of game where different
            officially defined groups are scored against each other. In order to
            keep score, you need to use frequent quantitative scientific-seeming
            measurements. This means all other values will tend to be devalued
            that don't boost these measurements. So, inevitably there will be
            overwhelming pressure to focus teaching on prepping for standardized
            tests and to reduce the professional autonomy of teachers.

            Charley Cowens

          • Marilyn Langlois
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2005
              Scottie,