Plagiarize, Plagiarize Plagerize

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
      Now that the MAGIC GRAIL, that illusive plan has been found let's Plagiarize
      the hell out of it put WCCUSD's name on it and let's get going and educate
      the kids.

      I am not proud, I will put my ego aside and do what needs to be done to get
      these kids where Novato kids are.

      Don't give me this crap that those are white kids in Novato and that is why
      they are doing so well. Does that mean you are saying our kids are stupid
      and can't do as good as whitey. How racist is that.

      One of my daughters best friends from Richmond High is Black. Scottie how do
      you like that line. Wait a minute, Scottie, oh MY god, Scottie I just had an
      epiphany, and it is Sunday, it is almost like a miracle, Scottie quick run
      to the mirror. Scottie, one of my closet confidants in the fight and look in
      the mirror, you are Black. I never saw that before this time. The truth has
      set me free.

      Anyway I digress and probably have a lot of people pissed of but what else
      is new.

      Come on people, kids are kids and if you raise the bar they will reach it. I
      found the plan, we now do not need to pay $240,000 for a consultant. We can
      put all that money into the plan. Now let's get out there and teach the
      kids.

      Oh, yeah, wait, my daughters friend, there was a point to that paragraph. My
      daughters, friend, remember the Black one from Richmond High (really that
      wasn't so hard, Amber was in the 4% white minority at Richmond High so most
      her friends there were Black or Hispanic), anyway, her friend came up on
      graduation night, tears in his eyes and gave Lynette, my wife a hug and said
      thank you for helping him to graduate. He told Amber that had it not been
      for Amber and Lynn he would have dropped out. He now is going to CCC and is
      a player on the football team and hopes to go on to a University on a
      football scholarship. We took him out to dinner the other night and he told
      us how his mother had given him a car for graduation, albeit it was a car
      that was barely running and that was about it, but it was from his mother
      who had recognized the accomplishment of him being the first in his family
      to graduate from high school. Then he told us he came home from college one
      day and his car was gone. His mother had sold it and used the money for what
      she wanted that day. Tears again in his eyes. I hope Lynn's starfish from
      Richmond High can keep the prize in front of him and he is trying to do that
      and we will do what we can in our small way.

      Kids from any walk of life in the United States can make if given a chance
      and encouragement from any venue, now let's shut up Plagiarize the plan and
      get these kids going down their successful education and life path.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
        --Kevin, Kevin, Kevin:

        You had to do it, you had to remind me that I was black and that the a large number of white folks believe I am stupid, I try to black that out every once and awhile and pretend that most people see me as you do. But "No", you had to make me relive those feelings that a lot of African American students feel everyday when they walk into a class room. That is, they are dumb and nothing is expected of them. So, you found a plan, for one minute, I thought this district had really gotten something for all the money they have paid Mike O'Neil, but of course, you let me know right away that the only thing the district got was bills on top of increases from the Man. I have to call him the Man, because he has to be in order to make the kind of money he has and continue to make from a poor district like this one. He is the type of consultant we should be teaching our students to be, one that makes the big bucks and not produce anything that can be documented.

        Okay, I forgot, back to the black thing, I have told you a million times, black students are cash cows, that is, as long as they are educated in a way that will continue to dehumanize them and forces them to react, rather than understanding that their miseducation is the key to the rich pockets of consultants and the former, second highest paid supt in CA. But, I forgot again, they don't really know how much money is being made, because people like you and I don't get that information without a fight, so the masses can't get it and don't have the time to check out who is getting rich of the backs of poor students. They are spending their time trying to survive and fighting the myth about their abilities. If people treat you like you can't learn, you will show them that you can be good at something, even if it is fighting, killing, or a drug runner.

        By the way, I don't have to thank you, Lynette and children for the advocacy work you do, because I know you don't look for such. But if you need our little help, do as you always do, say the words.

        Scottie Smith

        -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>: --------------

      • ralphebedwell
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
          This is amusing banter, gentlemen, but what's your solution to the
          nationwide problem of the achievement gap?

          <kfrivard@h...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
            --A good start would be the implementation of the March4Education's school reorganization plan. Second, national health insurance and third, a guaranteed livable wage for all families.

            From: "ralphebedwell" <ralphebedwell@...>
> [...]
            > his mother
            > > > who had recognized the accomplishment of him being the first in
            > his family
            > > > to graduate from high school. Then he told us he came home from
            > college one
            > > > day and his car was gone. His mother had sold it and used the
            > money for what
            > > > she wanted that day. Tears again in his eyes. I hope Lynn's
            > starfish from
            > > > Richmond High can keep the prize in front of him and he is trying
            > to do that
            > > > and we will do what we can in our small way.
            > > >
            > > > Kids from any walk of life in the United States can make if given
            > a chance
            > > > and encouragement from any venue, now let's shut up Plagiarize
            > the plan and
            > > > get these kids going down their successful education and life

          • Michael McDonald
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
              Sounds good.

              Mike

              From: "ralphebedwell" <ralphebedwell@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2005
                Education.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2005
                  Ralph-

                  You've already heard the response that the achievement gap is simply a
                  reflection of a more general life gap, but I would like to point out
                  an implication of the question itself. The achievement gap meme
                  essentially reduces public education to a kind of game where different
                  officially defined groups are scored against each other. In order to
                  keep score, you need to use frequent quantitative scientific-seeming
                  measurements. This means all other values will tend to be devalued
                  that don't boost these measurements. So, inevitably there will be
                  overwhelming pressure to focus teaching on prepping for standardized
                  tests and to reduce the professional autonomy of teachers.

                  Charley Cowens

                • Marilyn Langlois
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9, 2005
                    Scottie,