Re: [wccusdtalk] CommUnity Forum

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2005
      David,
      Yes, many administrators and most board members read the posts here but
      mostly they don't post. Why? Because this list was started by the West
      County Parents. If you read the description you'll see that it says that we
      are "a united group of parents working with teachers and community members"
      and there was quite a discussion in the beginning about who could join.
      Things have evolved and anybody can be a member and post as long as they
      follow the guidelines, although most administrators don't post unless they
      forward it through someone else. The ones I've talked with read but don't
      post because they don't want to intrude on the parent forum.

      As to having a live, in person community forum, I say go for it! Even a
      board study session where people can actually discuss things and get
      answers would be good. I think the budget committee and the new academic
      committee provide that kind of discussion, but we need more of that.

      I think there are lots of changes in the air around here. I'm one of those
      parents who asks lots of questions and requests lots of information and
      I've found most administrators to be very helpful in the past couple of
      months. Lots of information, lots of questions answered, more respect all
      around. We need to keep asking those hard questions and sharing what we
      find because we need to be sure we have the facts.

      Cathy

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2005
        David-

        I don't think this mailing list should substitute for the regular
        machinery of governance, but just supplement it. If board members or
        staff want to jump into the fray, I certainly appreciate it, but I
        don't look at it as anything they are obligated to do (specious
        excuses are not necessary). The board meetings have a Q&A period near
        the beginning of the meeting now. Questions posed at this time on TV
        and recorded on tape are the ones that really do need to be formally
        answered by staff.

        Charley Cowens

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2005
          Charley,

          The Q and A at the board meetings are also inadequate.
          The format used only provides a platform for whoever
          has the priviledge of answering to grandstand. It
          does not provide a dialog such as this group. What we
          need is a broadcasted dialog of the board members
          discussing their ideas with members of the community
          where follow up questions can be posed. Charles
          Ramsey refused to speak with a small of group of
          concerned citizens about the cell towers the district
          is trying to place at various school sites. HE SAID
          HE WAS NOT PREPARED TO TALK TO MORE THAN ONE PERSON.
          How many of our board members are prepared talk to the
          community? Glen Price is willing to talk to a group
          of 15 today about the cell phone towers. Kudos to him
          for that. Now if only he would be willing to talk
          about the budget!

          Eduardo

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jim and Judy Sanders
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 2005
            A number of years ago (probably 3 or 4), when Pat Player was president
            of the board, she held a number of community forums (I believe that's
            what she called them) around the district. I remember going to one at
            Adams, and also one at Portola. Pat was at each forum, another board
            member was also in attendance, at least one if not more administrators
            were there, and Gloria was there. The community was invited--I believe
            there was one held at each of the middle schools, and all of the
            parents from the feeder elementary schools were invited. The agenda
            was whatever the people in attendance wanted to discuss. It was an
            opportunity for the community to be heard; for there to be a dialogue
            among the community, the board members, and the administrators; and for
            the board members to give their ideas, opinions, and feedback. I think
            there was one cycle of these forums (one at each middle school), and
            that was the end of it. I don't know whether anything substantive
            ever came out of this process.
            Judy

            On Sunday, September 25, 2005, at 08:48 AM, Eduardo Martinez wrote:

> [...]
            > > a Q&A period near
            > > the beginning of the meeting now. Questions posed at
            > > this time on TV
            > > and recorded on tape are the ones that really do
            > > need to be formally
            > > answered by staff.
            > >
            > > Charley Cowens
            > >
            > > On 9/23/05, David Spade <davidexcavator@...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Board?
            > > > I was you?  I would actually MANDATE that ANY
            > > district staff that can
            > > > comment on issues raised in this forum respond.
            > > > I bet you an act like this would promote
            > > transparency and make many of
            > > > the questions go away (provided some answers are
            > > given).
            > > > Is this a possibility?
            > > >
            > > > Mr. Price, Mr. Brown, Ms. Pfeifer, you have been
            > > extremely quiet
            > > > lately on this forum.  Please DO comment.

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > +  Visit your group "wccusdtalk" on the web.

            <image.tiff>

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 25, 2005
              Those were good meetings Judy if only for the exposure the Administration
              had to the public.

              Glen also tried to get a successful quarterly meeting of all the Site
              Councils led by Suzie VanDeveer going some time ago.

              One problem is, there is little follow through if any of ideas, suggestions
              or complaints from the meetings and there is no consistency on the meetings.

              As you stated and I remember as well there was only one round of the
              meetings you spoke of and because the next President after Glen did not
              insist on the continuation of the School Site Council quarterly meetings
              they went by the wayside as well.

              That is what fizzles public participation. The public becomes involved
              thinking there is change in the air and then a gust of wind blows that
              anticipation away and after awhile the public says why bother.

              Kevin