Fwd: RE: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee Update Please or a Penny Saved

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 1:49 PM
      *BONUS FEATURE IN YAHOO GROUP HERE*
      People may already know this, but when you are
      going to the group home page and click on
      "Messages" (left hand side of screen)
      You get your list of msgs and at the top you can
      search by message # or by word.
      Well I typed in BOARD PACKET to see how long
      the community had been promised board packets
      if they ask,
      and came up with some other stuff
      ironically this most informative post was made
      a little over a year ago, and some of it is
      still the same old you-know-what.

      Ok - Now I will post something positive
      AMedina

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@h...>
      wrote:
      Oh my, Marsha and Cathy,

      Are you trying to get Tammy and me in trouble? Why, we are not
      suppose to
      share the most intimate secrets of the Redistricting Committee
      meetings even
      though they are open to the public and anyone can come and sit in on
      them.
      OK, maybe I am a little dramatic here, but we have been told we must
      make
      sure that when we talk about the meetings that we clarify beyond any
      shadow
      of doubt that nothing and I mean nothing is concrete unless of course
      the
      committee votes on it and then it is OK to say it is concrete, except
      we
      have to make sure that we say these are the recommendations of the
      committee
      and that the final decisions will be made by the board.

      Which means if it is like the last two times the Board will most
      likely
      overrule the recommendation of the committee unless of course it is
      to the
      liking of the Board and they can use the decisions of the committee
      to hide
      behind. I am so sorry but I tried, I really did Tammy, not to be
      cynical.

      OK here goes and Tammy correct me if my memory is wrong. So far all
      the
      committee has done is OK the Middle School Boundaries as presented by
      Jack
      Schreders Associates. We approved some elementary boundaries but are
      now in
      the process of looking at CLOSING, whoops my mistake, the new
      politically
      correct word, CONSOLIDATING schools. Much more palatable would not
      you
      agree. We have been told that a school closure should save an average
      of
      $250,000 a year. On the table for consideration and discussion ONLY,
      for
      consolidation, Fairmont, Seaview, El Sobrante and Olinda.

      Last night, Monday, there was little movement on consolidation and no
      votes
      made. There are three groups as I see it. One that wants to close
      now, one
      that does not want to close and seek alternatives, and another group
      that is
      seeking more information because they do not feel there is enough
      data to
      prove or disprove a true savings.

      The alternatives would be to seek out for example, corporate sponsors
      keep the schools open for the short term until the student population
      comes
      up to levels to keep the schools and viable. The data needed by some
      are if
      the students in some schools could go to other schools so as not to
      be a
      danger to the students as well as be able to walk to a school. These
      are
      just a couple of the issues that came up last night.

      Fairmont feels it is not fair to close their school because they have
      taken
      the hit on school closures within the recent past and their
      neighborhood is
      now seeing a growth in children and to have their kids have to go
      clear to
      Harding would not be in the best interest of the students or
      neighborhood.

      My feeling is since we do not have a Facilities Master Plan in place,
      we
      have been told this district is now in an upswing of student growth
      with
      some Kindergarten classes showing a sizable increase, and these
      closures are
      not going to take place until 2005-06 at which time the population
      for
      instance in the Fairmont area might need that school and we will have
      made
      the decision, the Administration wants, to close Fairmont then we
      will have
      to scramble to facilitate more students and if Fairmont is closed
      that would
      mean sending the overload to Castro.

      Once again we are being rushed (we have been told a recommendation
      needs to
      be done by October, November) to make a decision without complete
      data,
      without going to the neighborhoods and explaining the problems
      thoroughly
      and not giving the public the chance to bring a solution to the
      table. For
      instance the Fairmont representative said he was ready to transfer to
      Madera
      until he was told that Fairmont was a good school. He went to back to
      school
      night met with some parents who's kids are going to Fairmont and now
      his
      child is ready to go to Fairmont next year 2004-05 and he wants the
      opportunity to go out into the Annex and sell Fairmont to the
      neighborhood
      and bring back the kids currently living in the annex but going to
      other
      schools. This is just one example. Olinda made a similar plea last
      night. I
      do not think this district has made it's case for closure. The
      district
      administration see's a short term solution for a long term problem.

      Kevin

      >From: Marsha Williamson <mswilliamson@l...>
      >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, School Board <WCCUSDcomment@b...>
      >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Redistricting Committee Update Please or a
      Penny
      >Saved
      >Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:37:11 -0700
      >
      >So Kevin and Tammy,
      >Besides the fact that you are being starved out by the penny saved,
      >pound foolish, business as usual approach, what are the latest
      >happenings/discussions at the Redistricting Committee about? Could
      you
      >provide a meeting summary perhaps? Yes, I know about the one's
      provided
      >by facilities, but I fear they are somewhat out of date.
      >On a related cost-cutting measure -- did anyone else get Gloria's
      letter
      >with
      >their most recent board packet, stating that board packets would now
      be
      >available on-line and the practice of mailing them would be
      >discontinued?
      >I will be looking into this to find out if the online board packet
      >really will be a "packet", or simply another electronic school board
      >meeting agenda that contains no supporting documents. Perhaps one of
      >the school board members could comment on this to wccusdtalk. What
      >about people who are not in the email loop?
      >Marsha Williamson
      >
      >Kevin Rivard wrote:
      >
      > > Tammy,
      > >
      > > What truly amazes me Tammy is that this community and the parents
      keep

      > > eating the manure this district keeps feeding them. Until the
      > > community says
      > > no more growth at Bissell and says the sites are the most
      important
      > > entities
      > > in the district and only those things that directly supports the
      sites
      > > are
      > > to remain, will things change.
      > >
      > > When the body starts to shut down due to extreme exposure the
      > > extremities
      > > are what are sacrificed first. To me the extremities, the fingers
      the
      > > toes,
      > > in this district are any positions not directly related to
      supporting
      > > the
      > > students and the sites. Any other positions are expendable and
      will be
      > > the
      > > easiest to bring back when better times come back.
      > >
      > > It was insulting to me last night at the redistricting committee
      > > meeting for
      > > Cathy Kossel to say, "I have bad news that the money has run out
      for
      > > the
      > > dinner meals for this committee so I was wondering if this
      committee
      > > wants
      > > to change the meeting times to reflect that issue.", and then this
      > > week in
      > > the School Board Packet there is over $115,000 from Capital
      Facilities
> [...]
      > > >supervisors and this is one response,
      > > >
      > > >"Site supervisors do much more than simply supervise lunch
      periods.
      > > >They mediate conflicts between students, they help monitor the
      campus

      > > >during classtime to get students to classrooms. They are out
      among
      > > the
      > > >student body more than administrators and so can often
      investigate an

      > > >incident more efficiently than we can. As holders of keys, they
      let
      > > period
      > > >sub teachers into classrooms. They let the office know if
      teachers
      > > are
      > > >not at their classrooms in the mornings. They are our eyes and
      ears.

      > > >When we are looking for a student, they are the ones to find
      them.
      > > When
      > > >we are sending for a student from class who is a flight risk, we
      can
      > > >send them to retrieve that student. They hear when things are
      > > happening
      > > >and have helped us prevent problems. Our own, Chris Vale, almost
      > > >single-handedly conducted an investigation that identified
      several of
      > > our
      > > >graffiti-artists on campus. He was the proverbial right arm for
      the
      > > vice
      > > >principals last year and is now without a position. If you ask
      me,
      > > there
      > > >is no question, site security personnel must be kept, hands down.
      > > >Without them, the only place where those tasks will
      realistically go
      > > is to
      > > >school site administrators and we will not be able to do them
      nearly
      > > as
      > > >well."
      > > >
      > > >I would like to remind the board that our downtown administration
      > > >repeatedly requests our principals to leave their campuses for
      > > meetings
      > > >leaving our assistant principals to lead. Can they
      realistically be
      > > >responsible for their job and security too. How much can we ask
      of
      > > these
      > > >people. We are talking about supervising 900-2000 students on
      some
      > > of
      > > >these campuses.
      > > >
      > > >And we should all care less regarding the ed code and security
      for
      > > middle
      > > >schools because there is no difference between a middle school
      and a
      > > high
      > > >school in make up other than the age of the children attending.
      Can
      > > you
      > > >imagine what it would be like for Harrient MacLean at Helms with
      1500

      > > >students and no site supervisors.
      > > >
      > > >School board - I know we have to be fiscally sound, but are you
      > > willing to
      > > >take that risk? Remember my plea to establish the district
      budget
      > > based
      > > >upon filling the bucket rather than always removing from the
      bucket.
      > > Think
      > > >about the kids and rethink your decision about hiring that one
      > > >administrator and finding the money for site supervisors.
      > > >Tammy Campbell
      > > >

      > > >Kathy Rollins <krollins@p...> wrote:
      > > >Sorry that my chart did not arrive as I typed it and thus is so
      > > confusing.
      > > >
      > > >Yes, this is staffing for this school year (04/05) and it
      represents
      > > the
      > > >50%
      > > >cut in funds. All positions are now 10 month. The District said
      > > this
      > > >staffing is based on the desires of each Principal.
      > > >
      > > >Middle Schools:
      > > >Adams, Crespi and Pinole Middle will each have 1 Student Supv
      and a
      > > 1/2
      > > >time Site Supervisor.
      > > >DeJean and Portola will each have 2 Site Supv.
      > > >Helms will have 1 Student Supv and 1 Site Supervisor
      > > >
      > > >High Schools:
      > > >DeAnza, Hercules, Kennedy , Richmond will each have 3 Site Supv.
      > > >El Cerrito will have 2.5 Site Supervisors.
      > > >Pinole Valley will have 1 Student Supv and 1 Site Supv.
      > > >
      > > >Gompers and North Campus will have 1 Site Supervisor each.
      > > >
      > > >Also, I wanted to let you know that we did not find any specific
      > > staffing
      > > >requirement for site supervision at secondary schools in the Ed
      > > Code. The
      > > >language that Scottie identified is what we identified as
      requiring a

      > > >safety
      > > >plan at each site. I am not aware of the Site Councils doing
      this
      > > for each
      > > >school. The district hired a consultant to come up with the
      district
      > > plan.
      > > >
      > > >Did you get the breakdown from the District yet on the funding of
      > > their
      > > >four
      > > >administrative positions?
      > > >
      > > >I am going to try to get to the meeting tonight but have to see
      after
      > > >family member in the hospital first.
      > > >
      > > >Kathy Rollins
      > > >510 222 5012