RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: Fwd: Board meeting update

  • Bea Lieberman
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 2, 2005
      Kevin.I think that it has always been essential to teach phonics as well
      as Whole Language..This simply makes sense and works.Both are aspects of
      language acquisition..When powers that be told us to teach only Whole
      Language.many teachers ignored and taught phonics as well.Clearly it's
      not one or the other, but both and more that are needed for
      learning...These fads come and go.but kids still need to learn in spite
      of them.Bea

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2005
        --Kevin and others:

        I will not address this issues much, only because when I came to this district many many moons ago, they were pushing something call "whole language" and back then I spoke out and said "one size does not fit all students and that teachers should be allowed to teach in the best interest of their students. So, when the high paid consultants came out and told the leadership what parents and teachers had already told them, they listen to the consultants. Therefore, we need to get our own group of highly paid consultant to advocate for teachers and parents. I am ready to join that group and I know some great teachers that have retire or need to make a few extra bucks that would really have the best interest of the students in mind. But, we have a problem, how do we get paid? Because as my mother would say "why buy a cow, when you can get the milk free", and that is what many of us do, volunteer or time and knowledge, only to be dismissed by the powers that be, because we are not making them pay.

        From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>