Re: Open Court

  • Jennifer E. Felix
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 12:32 PM
      I have been reading alot about the Open Court curriculum and it
      reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had. He was one of
      the first graduates that was part of the "whole language" English
      curriculum. I, on the other hand, am from another state that stuck
      with phonics. I love to read anything and everything. He, on the
      other hand, only reads when absolutely necessary. I am an excellent
      speller and prolific writer. His spelling is not very good and he
      only writes when necessary. See the difference. Good old fashioned
      phonics and language arts training appear, at least in my
      experience, to be the most effective and least time consuming
      teaching methods for our kids and teachers. I see no reason to
      throw away huge amounts of money at consultants when just a little
      research and real communication with our teachers is the answer. My
      uncle is the head of the science dept. at the College of Education
      in New Zealand. He once told me that to pay a consultant with a
      masters or phd in science to tell him how to run his dept. was a
      waste of money and his education. As far as he and the education
      dept. of his college are concerned, that is what his phd is for.
      Just my little opinion on some of the issues I've seen brought up.
      But then again I am leaving the state so I guess my opinion will
      matter even less than it ever did in this district.

      Jen