RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: Fwd: Board meeting update

  • Bea Lieberman
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 2, 2005
      Cathy, Concerning Open Court...I've been told to follow it, period.
      .Many teachers have pointed out the weaknesses in the curriculum.and
      we've been told to follow it, no matter what. .Recently Michael O'Neil
      has told teachers that they are allowed to supplement areas missing in
      the curriculum, but are on the tests. He has given us a double
      message..teach all of Open Court.but fill in the gaps. In my opinion it
      is better to teach the concepts kids need to know and them teach in ways
      that we know work. This doesn't take a nuclear physicist to figure out.
      We know that lots of Open Court doesn't work. So why spend time in areas
      that are time consuming and not beneficial? Many areas of OCR are
      good.Let's use them and forget the rest.The emphasis in WCCUSD has been
      on the TOTAL use of the curriculum. In some grade levels it's impossible
      to do the entire program...and much of it is poor. Why not simply
      emphasize best teaching practices, many of which we are not allowed to
      use? We need a different official perspective on Open Court.Some
      districts use it as a good tool for teaching ..as one tool among many.I
      believe that this is as it should be..and not presented as if it were
      the living gospel to be followed for better or for worse. When teachers
      are told to suspend their better judgment and blindly do as they are
      told how can we expect the students to be real thinkers and learners?
      Perhaps it is not coincidental that this phenomenon is occurring at this
      time in America, Bea

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2005
        --Kevin and others:

        I will not address this issues much, only because when I came to this district many many moons ago, they were pushing something call "whole language" and back then I spoke out and said "one size does not fit all students and that teachers should be allowed to teach in the best interest of their students. So, when the high paid consultants came out and told the leadership what parents and teachers had already told them, they listen to the consultants. Therefore, we need to get our own group of highly paid consultant to advocate for teachers and parents. I am ready to join that group and I know some great teachers that have retire or need to make a few extra bucks that would really have the best interest of the students in mind. But, we have a problem, how do we get paid? Because as my mother would say "why buy a cow, when you can get the milk free", and that is what many of us do, volunteer or time and knowledge, only to be dismissed by the powers that be, because we are not making them pay.

        From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>