Re: Fwd: Board meeting update

  • Elizabeth Jaeger
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 2, 2005
      This reminds me of the Downer teacher who asked his students which
      of the stories/articles in a unit of Open Court they had enjoyed.
      To a child, they rejected all but one story -- and this was from a
      collection by Gary Soto which we'd had on site and used extensively
      for several years before Open Court came on the scene. Needless to
      say, due to the relentless onward movement of Open Court, the
      teacher had no time to read other stories from the Soto collection.

      My greatest fear is that the end result will be a generation of
      students who can read but won't (although, honestly, they may not be
      able to read either -- our test scores are definitely a mixed bag
      with CSTs up and CAT6s down). Unfortunately not every parent has
      the option of placing a child on independent study; it is the
      responsibility of our district to make independent studies for kids
      of any ability unnecessary.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@h...>
      wrote:
      > Alicia,
      >
      > When, Lynn and I, saw what you are describing happen to our
      daughter, Amber,
      > in fourth grade at Murphy Elementary we did not waste time, as
      parents of
      > four other children, who were in this district before Amber.
      >
      > We pulled her out of Murphy and put her in Elementary Independent
      Study.

      <bilanalieb@c...>
      > >wrote:
      > > > I also think that at least some of the members of the
      Curriculum
      > > > Committee should be teachers that have used and are critical
      of Open
      > > > Court. There should be opportunity for teachers to express
      their
      > >serious
      > > > concerns about Open Court. Each grade level has its own
      specific
      > > > problems and gaps in the curriculum. Perhaps there could be a
      REAL way

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2005
        --Kevin and others:

        I will not address this issues much, only because when I came to this district many many moons ago, they were pushing something call "whole language" and back then I spoke out and said "one size does not fit all students and that teachers should be allowed to teach in the best interest of their students. So, when the high paid consultants came out and told the leadership what parents and teachers had already told them, they listen to the consultants. Therefore, we need to get our own group of highly paid consultant to advocate for teachers and parents. I am ready to join that group and I know some great teachers that have retire or need to make a few extra bucks that would really have the best interest of the students in mind. But, we have a problem, how do we get paid? Because as my mother would say "why buy a cow, when you can get the milk free", and that is what many of us do, volunteer or time and knowledge, only to be dismissed by the powers that be, because we are not making them pay.

        From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>