RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: Fwd: Board meeting update

    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 2, 2005
      Alicia,

      When, Lynn and I, saw what you are describing happen to our daughter, Amber,
      in fourth grade at Murphy Elementary we did not waste time, as parents of
      four other children, who were in this district before Amber.

      We pulled her out of Murphy and put her in Elementary Independent Study.

      It is up to the parent not to allow this or any other educational
      institution to ruin a good student.

      Parents, hear what Alicia is saying. This district and most educational
      districts allow this type of education to go on as long as the district gets
      the ADA for the student, everything is fine and the district does not care
      if your child fails because the money keeps rolling in.

      Call me a cynic and let those that work in the system and get their paycheck
      from the system call me a naysayer but when students are allowed to go from
      grade to grade through social promotion rather than academic promotion the
      districts do not have a valid argument against what I have stated.

      Alicia's comments only support what I have known for years. Public education
      has become another government bureaucracy that has lost its focus and needs
      to be dismantled and rebuilt to it's original charge and that is to educate
      children, not socialize them.

      Kevin

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2005
        --Kevin and others:

        I will not address this issues much, only because when I came to this district many many moons ago, they were pushing something call "whole language" and back then I spoke out and said "one size does not fit all students and that teachers should be allowed to teach in the best interest of their students. So, when the high paid consultants came out and told the leadership what parents and teachers had already told them, they listen to the consultants. Therefore, we need to get our own group of highly paid consultant to advocate for teachers and parents. I am ready to join that group and I know some great teachers that have retire or need to make a few extra bucks that would really have the best interest of the students in mind. But, we have a problem, how do we get paid? Because as my mother would say "why buy a cow, when you can get the milk free", and that is what many of us do, volunteer or time and knowledge, only to be dismissed by the powers that be, because we are not making them pay.

        From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>