RE: [wccusdtalk] Re: Fwd: Board meeting update

  • Bea Lieberman
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2005
      I also think that at least some of the members of the Curriculum
      Committee should be teachers that have used and are critical of Open
      Court. There should be opportunity for teachers to express their serious
      concerns about Open Court. Each grade level has its own specific
      problems and gaps in the curriculum. Perhaps there could be a REAL way
      to listen to and TRULY consider teacher input. In my mind it is
      essential to take a long and honest look in this direction if we want to
      improve the education our kids receive. ..Bea

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2005
        --Kevin and others:

        I will not address this issues much, only because when I came to this district many many moons ago, they were pushing something call "whole language" and back then I spoke out and said "one size does not fit all students and that teachers should be allowed to teach in the best interest of their students. So, when the high paid consultants came out and told the leadership what parents and teachers had already told them, they listen to the consultants. Therefore, we need to get our own group of highly paid consultant to advocate for teachers and parents. I am ready to join that group and I know some great teachers that have retire or need to make a few extra bucks that would really have the best interest of the students in mind. But, we have a problem, how do we get paid? Because as my mother would say "why buy a cow, when you can get the milk free", and that is what many of us do, volunteer or time and knowledge, only to be dismissed by the powers that be, because we are not making them pay.

        From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>