Re: What did they do to the board packet?

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2005
      Glen,
      I would also like to request a board packet and
      called the superintendent's office at
      620-2205
      and left my name and address and phone #
      today 30 minutes ago
      THANK YOU
      Alicia Medina Pohl

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, rcs101@a... wrote:

      > --Glen:
      >
      > I for one would like to be the first to request a copy of the board
      packet sent to me. If my address is no longer available, please let
      me know and I will resubmitt.

      > Scottie Smith

      > From: Glen Price <glen@g...>
      > > > No mailings, no information, no hard copy equals, no public
      participation.

      > > Kevin:
      > >
      > > I have just read your post, which I have partially cited above.
      > >
      > > While you make some very valid points, I am somewhat confused as
      to why you
      > > don¹t recognize some of the key steps that the current board has
      taken to
      > > increase public participation in our governance process.
      > >
      > > Let¹s review some of these:
      > >
      > > 1. We formed a Community Budget Advisory Committee specifically
      to enable
      > > community and stakeholder input into the budgeting process. While
      we can do
      > > an even better job of getting the information out about this
      committee¹s
      > > meetings and processes, the committee¹s members have been working
      hard to
      > > make the budgeting process much more transparent than it had been
      > > previously.
      > > 2. Board members are working on key District Advisory Committees.
      > > especially want to highlight the work of board members Brown,
      Pfeifer, and
      > > Ramsey who have been actively working with the Special Education,
      GATE, and
      > > Bond Oversight Committees respectively. Board member Fenton
      regularly
      > > attends meetings of the Richmond Neighborhood Coordinating
      Council.
      > > 3. Safety Committee Formation: Several board members are actively
      engaged in
      > > the formation of high school safety committees based on the
      Pinole Valley
      > > High School model.
      > > 4. Liaison to Cities: Board members are attending city council
      meetings in
      > > the cities they are assigned to as liaisons.
      > >
      > > As board members, we are specifically undertaking the actions
      noted above to
      > > garner public input and participation in our governance process.
      > >
      > > In addition, we have implemented several reforms to our board
      meeting
      > > process itself. These include having a direct Question and Answer
      town hall
      > > style dialog session at every meeting (something that no other
      elected body
      > > in West County has implemented). We have also invited key
      stakeholders to
      > > make agendized presentations to the board, which, again, I am not
      aware of
      > > any other elected body in West County doing. Stay tuned for more
      process
      > > changes coming your way for the start of the school year. The
      point here is
      > > that the board is implementing innovative public/stakeholder
      participation
      > > methods that have never been done before to make it as easy as
      possible to
      > > participate in the work of the board of education.
      > >
      > > In regards to dissemination of the board packet and information
      of board
      > > meetings, there is no question that we could do a better job of
      this. There
      > > is also no question, however, that our capacity to get these
      documents out
      > > and engender participation in board processes has grown
      exponentially
      > > through the use of electronic media. Kevin, the empirical data is
      clear that
      > > many more people are downloading the board packet online than we
      were ever
      > > able to reach previously with paper mailings. My hunch is that
      many people,
      > > like me, are not printing out the board packet once they have
      downloaded it,
      > > but simply reading it on their computers. Thanks to the City of
      Pinole, more
      > > people than ever before are watching the board meetings on TV or
      streaming
      > > them on their computers. The informational resources on the
      WCCUSD website
      > > have been growing daily.
      > >
      > > We will be reinstating the practice of mailing out paper board
      packets to
      > > people that want them. The blame and responsibility for that not
      happening
      > > as of yet is mine and I apologize. I plan to work with staff to
      put a
      > > procedure back in place for this by the start of the school year.
      > >
      > > Best wishes,
      > >

      > > --
      > > Glen Price
      > > President, Board of Trustees
      > > WCCUSD
      > > email: glen@g...

    • alicat1967
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2005
        Glen (and other interested board members)

        Regretful to inform you that my request for a board
        packet to be mailed to me was followed by a phone
        message from Wendy Bergen in the superitendent's
        office telling me that they don't mail board
        packets and I could go to
        http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us
        and print one out or view it on the Internet.

        So sowhere once again someone has dropped the ball
        or is this another intential flub to once again keep
        public info out of the hands of the public?
        Mr. Cowens - you can tell me I am paranoid now.
        Alicia Medina Pohl

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967" <alicat1967@y...>

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2005
          Glen,

          I'm sure that Kevin appreciates all that the board has
          done; unfortunately the problem lies in the fact that
          nothing substantial has fom from these efforts.

          The Community Budget Advisory Committee has not been
          in the public eye through lack of information. Kevin
          is the one who made me aware that it existed. I will
          say that the meeting I attended felt positive, even
          though many economic and ethic groups seemed
          underrepresented. Dave Brown said that he would get
          the word out to the community to increase the
          participation.

          At the meeting for the Bond Oversight Committee which
          I attended, I got the impression that the Board was
          trying to get the committee to act as a rubberstamp
          for policies that the Board wanted to impliment (new
          bonds). It is my understanding that the committee is
          to oversee how the money is spent, not make
          recommondations on how to gather new funds. I see
          this as a conflict of interest.

          The direct Question and Answer town hall style dialog
          session, while a great idea, turned into a soapbox for
          Gloria to spin her sometimes nonsensical rhetoric.
          This feature of the Board meeting needs to become more
          of a dialog and less a news conference style question
          and answer where the superintendent can spew whatever
          swill crosses her mind.

          Another great idea which evaporated into the ether was
          the town hall meeting on NCLB. Many people were so
          excited to participate hoping that their efforts would
          result in a platform for action. I have asked for
          minutes from that session on several occasions. I
          have heard nothing. I suppose these might be some of
          the reasons Kevin has failed to mention some of the
          key steps that the Board has made.

          I do appreciate what the Board has done to help engage
          the public. I also recognize how difficult it is to
          make things happen. If you addressed the issues
          mentioned above I'm sure more people would have an
          easier time to recognize the positive that you have
          accomplished.

          Eduardo

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • karen pfeifer
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2, 2005
            Dear Alicia and others in the Board packet discussion,

            Since all of you are obviously computer literate and
            have access to computers I wonder why you want the
            district to send you board packets?

            I had thought that this discussion was about those
            people who want to read the packets before the meeting
            and couldn't down load them. I wonder how many people
            are in this category?

            I hear your many worries about transparency and
            misappropriation of general fund dollars. Still, a
            printed packet is not more transparent that a digital
            one and does cost more....

            We have so many really big fish to fry, I wonder if
            you couldn't just let this one go.

            Thank you,

            Karen Pfeifer

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • SarahCreeley@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
              Hi Karen, and All,
              Karen,
              I am a person, who wants to stay involved
              and informed, and I can't download the
              Board Agenda. I was disappointed to
              read your suggestion to "let this one go".
              How are we supposed to stay in the conversation
              when we don't know what's being discussed?

              I sent an email, along with others,
              I think around 2 months ago,
              saying I could not download the
              School Board meeting agendas.

              Now it seems you ask me to forget about it.
              That's not good enough. I suggest instead
              that the Board post the full agenda,
              (not packet), on Paul Ehara's Apple Bite.

              That way those of us who do have
              computer access, and many people
              don't, can see an agenda.
              The link you have now still doesn't work
              on my computer.

              Finally, either you want community input or you don't.
              Some people wanted paper copies of School Board agendas/packets,
              (parent involvement, this is a good thing right?)
              and we were given a procedure to follow (contact Wendy),
              which then doesn't work, then your response is "let it go?

              Is the number of people requesting Board Packets so great?
              Do you need volunteers? What is the hold up?
              You used to do it. Why can't you do it now?
              It seems to me if you really want community
              involvement you will help people who want
              to be included in the process.
              LOVE,
              Sarah

              PS. I regularly download Agendas for
              Hercules City Government meetings.
              Maybe they can help you fix this download glitch.

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                --Karen:

                For us to let this go, means we are willing to misrepresent the many people that count on us to voice their concerns. Also, it means that we are a part of the problem and contributing to the district's lack of respect for the overwhelming majority of people in this Urban School District that does not have access to a computer. You may not be aware that the majority of Blacks and Latinos are not yet a part of the ditial communication network. Therefore, in a district like WCCUSD it is important to have available Board agendas and packets for those that may wish to participate and do not now what is going on. I need not reinerate Sarah's brillant concerns, but to say, put it to rest, means to forget the rights of the public and spend the time and money, copying materials for Mike O'Neil and other consultants that we paid big bucks.

                I will ask you as I and others have Glen, for the complete compensation package that the district is paying Mike O'Neil as a matter of public information. If you or he can not get this information, I would like to know, therefore, I can seek it at the State level.

                From: SarahCreeley@...
                > Hi Karen, and All,
                > Karen,
                > I am a person, who wants to stay involved
                > and informed, and I can't download the
                > Board Agenda. I was disappointed to
                > read your suggestion to "let this one go".
                > How are we supposed to stay in the conversation
                > when we don't know what's being discussed?
                >
                > I sent an email, along with others,
                > I think around 2 months ago,
                > saying I could not download the
                > School Board meeting agendas.
                >
                > Now it seems you ask me to forget about it.
                > That's not good enough. I suggest instead
                > that the Board post the full agenda,
                > (not packet), on Paul Ehara's Apple Bite.
                >
                > That way those of us who do have
                > computer access, and many people
                > don't, can see an agenda.
                > The link you have now still doesn't work
                > on my computer.
                >
                > Finally, either you want community input or you don't.
                > Some people wanted paper copies of School Board agendas/packets,
                > (parent involvement, this is a good thing right?)
                > and we were given a procedure to follow (contact Wendy),
                > which then doesn't work, then your response is "let it go?
                >
                > Is the number of people requesting Board Packets so great?
                > Do you need volunteers? What is the hold up?
                > You used to do it. Why can't you do it now?
                > It seems to me if you really want community
                > involvement you will help people who want
                > to be included in the process.
                > LOVE,
                > Sarah
                >
                > PS. I regularly download Agendas for
                > Hercules City Government meetings.
                > Maybe they can help you fix this download glitch.
                >
                > Karen wrote:
                >
                > Dear Alicia and others in the Board packet discussion,
                >
                > Since all of you are obviously computer literate and
                > have access to computers I wonder why you want the
                > district to send you board packets?
                >
                > I had thought that this discussion was about those
                > people who want to read the packets before the meeting
                > and couldn't down load them. I wonder how many people
                > are in this category?
                >
                > I hear your many worries about transparency and
                > misappropriation of general fund dollars. Still, a
                > printed packet is not more transparent that a digital
                > one and does cost more....
                >
                > We have so many really big fish to fry, I wonder if
                > you couldn't just let this one go.
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Karen Pfeifer

              • Michael McDonald
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Karen,

                  I assume that you keep up with the discussions in this group, at least the discussions which you weigh in on. If this is the case, you would know that Sarah, Alicia and other people have had trouble downloading the board packet and that this is the reason that Glen agreed to start sending it by regular mail again.

                  The "just let it go" attitude is an unfortunate one for an elected official to have. It appears that the whole board wishes the public would "just let go" of the Michael O'Neil issue. Several people, including Alicia and Scottie, have repeatedly asked for his salary and job description, which should be a matter of public record. Board members have repeatedly ignored these requests. Claims by the board that it is doing all that it can to be transparent ring hallow when basic requests by the public it serves are ignored.

                  Mike

                  From: SarahCreeley@...
                  > Hi Karen, and All,
                  > Karen,
                  > I am a person, who wants to stay involved
                  > and informed, and I can't download the
                  > Board Agenda. I was disappointed to
                  > read your suggestion to "let this one go".
                  > How are we supposed to stay in the conversation
                  > when we don't know what's being discussed?
                  >
                  > I sent an email, along with others,
                  > I think around 2 months ago,
                  > saying I could not download the
                  > School Board meeting agendas.
                  >
                  > Now it seems you ask me to forget about it.
                  > That's not good enough. I suggest instead
                  > that the Board post the full agenda,
                  > (not packet), on Paul Ehara's Apple Bite.
                  >
                  > That way those of us who do have
                  > computer access, and many people
                  > don't, can see an agenda.
                  > The link you have now still doesn't work
                  > on my computer.
                  >
                  > Finally, either you want community input or you don't.
                  > Some people wanted paper copies of School Board agendas/packets,
                  > (parent involvement, this is a good thing right?)
                  > and we were given a procedure to follow (contact Wendy),
                  > which then doesn't work, then your response is "let it go?
                  >
                  > Is the number of people requesting Board Packets so great?
                  > Do you need volunteers? What is the hold up?
                  > You used to do it. Why can't you do it now?
                  > It seems to me if you really want community
                  > involvement you will help people who want
                  > to be included in the process.
                  > LOVE,
                  > Sarah
                  >
                  > PS. I regularly download Agendas for
                  > Hercules City Government meetings.
                  > Maybe they can help you fix this download glitch.
                  >
                  > Karen wrote:
                  >
                  > Dear Alicia and others in the Board packet discussion,
                  >
                  > Since all of you are obviously computer literate and
                  > have access to computers I wonder why you want the
                  > district to send you board packets?
                  >
                  > I had thought that this discussion was about those
                  > people who want to read the packets before the meeting
                  > and couldn't down load them. I wonder how many people
                  > are in this category?
                  >
                  > I hear your many worries about transparency and
                  > misappropriation of general fund dollars. Still, a
                  > printed packet is not more transparent that a digital
                  > one and does cost more....
                  >
                  > We have so many really big fish to fry, I wonder if
                  > you couldn't just let this one go.
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > Karen Pfeifer

                  High school education Middle school education Home school education New york school education School education in california Graduate school education

                • alicat1967
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Karen,

                    The public right to know is the biggest fish to fry
                    in the kitchen
                    of the WCCUSD. With your response, you are implying that
                    you wish the public to let go the right to know and that
                    is not acceptable.

                    The board had done many things (as President Price pointed out)
                    but does it ring hollow when there is not community support?
                    Still?
                    What a powerhouse of backup you all have here in the community.
                    If only board members would consider that for YEARS the administration
                    has worked hard to keep the community away.

                    That is where the board's efforts are still sorely lacking.
                    Perhaps there is not a big enough pan for that fish to fry
                    Alicia

                    --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Michael McDonald

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Scotti,

                      Do you really think this District is concerned about the Blacks and Latinos?

                      They do not even have the Public information material at the Board meetings
                      in Ebonics or Spanish even though we white english speaking trash people are
                      now in the minority in this district. I don't even come out of my trailer
                      very often any more for the Board meetings because my plain brown wrapper
                      from the district does not show up any more in my mail box so I don't know
                      what is going on any more. But then again 2/3rds of the graduating Seniors
                      from this district's High Schools couldn't read the material anyway so why
                      should the district waste money sending the packets to the illiterate
                      products of their district.

                      Kevin

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Mike,

                        Karen's, is the same attitude that was around 20 years ago and will be
                        around in 20 years. As long as the public continues to feed the bureaucratic
                        money pit and demand no accountability where the checks go then there is no
                        need to stop the status quo.

                        There will be another $400,000,000 dollar bond in September that will allow
                        the sucking of money from this community out to other parts of the county
                        and state even though our Board has demanded local hiring and purchasing.
                        Tonight's meeting is once again guaranteeing through the Project Labor
                        Agreement that the money continues to flow to those same people who are
                        pulling our local tax dollars out of our district and this Board does
                        nothing to stop it. But worse the community does nothing to stop our Board
                        from doing it.

                        Tonight the MRAD is once again being misused and Kilmartin knows it and the
                        Board allows it to continue. The Board has no clue and chooses to ignore
                        those of us that have history and two minutes in front of the Board is no
                        challenge to the Staff's ability to whitewash the situation or cover up the
                        illegalities that go on.

                        I just shake my head every time I go by, the palaces the district is
                        building across the district and think how much further the bond money could
                        have gone if Gary Freschi had been in charge of how the money was spent.
                        Gary knew the district inside and out and had a very conservative view on
                        how to build the schools but then again the current friends of the Board
                        would not have had a key to the lock of the Bond Gold Mine.

                        So, "just let it go Mike." I have, for the most part, because for some
                        reason this community does not mind ignorant graduates and giving away their
                        money to a bureaucratic morass.

                        Kevin

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                          --Kevin:

                          I didn't want to weigh in on those of you that are in trailer parks and an inch outside of the trailer park, because I knew you were sitting over there in your trailer with the most outdate computer one could use and I said, "why should he be happy with me responding to the "let it go" e-mail. If I leave the trailer people out, than he will have to crank up his old machine and start typing. So, you did represent the other voices, be they trailer or on the edge of the park. The bottom line is that your elected official seems content with "uninformed participation", or half listening to the voices of those that have a computer, while the majority of students in this district are in what they call "failing schools" with little or no parent participations. One would think they would be knocking on doors to provide information or hear from the majority. But, to do that they may have to stop the hiring of all the consultants (that they can not get information about salary and perks) and ripping of the tax dollars.

                          So, Mr. Trailer, sorry for not addressing your needs, but I had to pull you out, because I am on a new mission to have the outdated computers somehow enter the information age, because if we hear what Karen has said, "it over", maybe someone will take the time from their job and send out an e-mail letter with the board information in it and we can forget all the downloading, or better yet we need to develop a drum system to send messages about the dates, time and agenda of the board.

                          Hang on to the trailer, the wind has not stopped blowing.

                          From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                            Alicia:

                            It is sad that we must speak for the people when as Karen well know, (because she asked Andrea Sota, M4E and everyone she could to walk the streets of Richmond when she was running for office)that on line information will not get the message out. But how soon one forgets, but we will remember come election time.

                            From: "alicat1967" <alicat1967@...>

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                              Good idea, Scottie, you can get the Ebonics crowd to set up the drum
                              signals, we can ask Mike Ali to get his Cherokee friends to send up smoke
                              signals and I will get my relatives from the past to set up a Pony Express
                              to send out the messages by mule. Lord knows after all the district taxes we
                              can't afford horses anymore. Maybe we can get a donation of string and tin
                              cans and have the students do a science experiment on old age communication
                              techniques.

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                                Karen-

                                One aspect of this is that the District is _required_ by State law to
                                provide a mailed out copy of the packet for those who request it. This
                                can include a fee. I believe Kevin also dug up a still standing Board
                                policy stating something like this.

                                I would prefer that the online devlivery of packet information were
                                better to make it easier to stay away from the mailed packet, but
                                there has to be some provision for handling mailing out the packet.

                                Charley Cowens

                              • David Spade
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 3, 2005
                                  As proven in tonight's board meeting, board packets and agendas are a
                                  joke! So you know what? I don't care about receiving them. Just
                                  watching the circus.

                                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens