Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Fwd: Board meeting update

  • Diamel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 31, 2005
      To Elizabeth, Kathy, Karen et al,

      I want to say that I appreciate the concerns that I have read concerning the
      academic subcommittee. First of all I am looking forward to reading the
      charter. This is a first step in changing the way we do business in our district
      and perhaps steps to local control.

      Elizabeth and Kathy brought up some valid issues relating to the selection
      process. I agree that we should not confine ourselves to a single selection
      process. I also agree that we need to have balance and articulation that
      represents elementary, secondary, and the overall diversity of our district. I know
      that Karen will post the charter, but I also think that a copy should be
      available at the meeting in September.

      I would propose that people who attend the September meeting be potential
      representatives as well as giving sites the opportunity to vote on
      representatives they feel will dedicate their time and make a commitment to diligently
      work towards improving the academic instruction for our students. I hope that
      parents across the district will also be a part of this subcommittee. Maybe we
      should think about ways to recruit a diverse group of parents.

      Kathy, your point is well taken about individuals having expertise in
      curriculum issues. I believe that we have a pool of teachers that have the
      expertise, but there talents... have not been utilized.We must make the curriculum
      "more accessible" for all our students. I believe we are making process but we
      have to do more, together.

      Diane Brown

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3 1:02 PM
        --Kevin and others:

        I will not address this issues much, only because when I came to this district many many moons ago, they were pushing something call "whole language" and back then I spoke out and said "one size does not fit all students and that teachers should be allowed to teach in the best interest of their students. So, when the high paid consultants came out and told the leadership what parents and teachers had already told them, they listen to the consultants. Therefore, we need to get our own group of highly paid consultant to advocate for teachers and parents. I am ready to join that group and I know some great teachers that have retire or need to make a few extra bucks that would really have the best interest of the students in mind. But, we have a problem, how do we get paid? Because as my mother would say "why buy a cow, when you can get the milk free", and that is what many of us do, volunteer or time and knowledge, only to be dismissed by the powers that be, because we are not making them pay.

        From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>