SWAT office - home of the Truant Recovery Program?

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2005
      At the Richmond Public Library there is a flyer posted in the window
      signed by Dr. Gloria Johnston, Ph.D Superintendent of Schools and
      Sylvester Greenwood Assistant Superintendent Pupil Support Services
      that reads:
      THE SCHOOL-COMMUNITY POLICE TRUANT RECOVERY PROGRAM
      MAKES CONTACT WITH OVER 1000 STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS
      EACH YEAR. THE PROGRAM IS A PREVENTITIVE RATHER THAN PUNITIVE
      PROGRAM AND ITS PURPOSE IS TO KEEP YOUTH IN SCHOOL AND OFF THE
      STREETS DURING SCHOOL HOURS.

      The first thing listed on this flyer is that
      LOCAL POLICE JURISDICTRIONS MAKE CONTACT WITH STUDENTS
      ON THE STREETS DURING SCHOOL HOURS
      #2 says STUDENTS WITHOUT A VALIDATED EXCUSE SLIP FOR BEING OUT OF
      SCHOOL WILL BE TRANSPORTED TO THE WCCUSD STUDENT WELFARE AND
      ATTENDANCE OFFICE AT 157 9TH STREET AND PARENTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND
      REQUIRED TO REPORT TO THE STUDENT WELFARE AND ATTENDANCE OFFICE

      Now folks, I have no idea how long this flyer has been in the
      window. Of course it is not dated.

      We have so many cities to cover! If our district had a collaboration
      with the law enforcement of each city then that is news to me. We
      saw just what happens when people get together about an issue over in
      Pinole. It is exciting to hear about the things that worked at
      Pinole Valley High for safety last year. I heard a crazy rumor that
      good behavior was actually being rewarded!!!

      I find it hard to believe this information and if we have such a
      wonderful program, why is our graduation rate dropping? why are
      great, smart kids falling through the cracks?

      Well, if he board does bring in the sheriff dept to handle security,
      the department has a really cool name.

      Can the diff cities report about any known collaborations like what I
      read about in that window? Or board members?
      Thanks
      alicia

      <http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/communications/Apple_Bites/2005/07_20.pdf
      >http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/communications/Apple_Bites/2005/07_20.pdf

      > Apple Bite
      > News from the West Contra Costa Unified School District
      > 1108 Bissell Ave. * Richmond, CA 94801-3135 * (510) 234-3825
      > www.wccusd.k12.ca.us
      >
      > For immediate release * July 20, 2005 * No. 0506-02
      > Contact: Paul Ehara (510) 620-2246 * Cell (510) 812-0021
      >
      > District Offices Find New Homes
      >
      > The WCCUSD District Transfer and Student Welfare & Attendance
      (SWAT)
      > Offices have relocated to Adams Middle School, 5000 Patterson
      Circle,
      > Richmond, CA 94805. The Transfer Office is in Room 257 and the SWAT
      Office
      > is in Room 255. The phone numbers at the new location are (510) 232-
      6325
      > (primary) and (510) 232-6327 (alternate), and the new fax number is
      (510)
      > 232-6389.
      >
      > Directions Transfer and Student Welfare & Attendance Offices:
      > From Richmond/El Cerrito area: Take I-80 East toward Sacramento
      for 1.2
      > miles. Take the Solano Ave. exit toward Amador St. and turn left on
      Amador,
      > then right on Solano Ave. Turn right on Ralston and left on Loring
      Ave.
      > Street parking is available on Loring.
      >
      > From Hercules/Pinole area: Take I-80 West toward Oakland. Take the
      McBryde
      > Ave. exit and turn left on McBryde, then right on Solano Ave. Turn
      right on
      > Ralston and left on Loring Ave. Street parking is available on
      Loring.

      > The Registration, Assessment, and Placement (RAP) Center for
      English
      > learners has also moved. Formerly located at Gompers High for 18
      years, the
      > new office is located in Room 10A at the east side of Nystrom
      Elementary
      > School, across the playground and around the corner from the
      Nystrom
      > Preschool. Nystrom is located at 230 Harbour Way South, Richmond,
      CA
      > 94804. The new RAP center phone number is (510) 235-5657, and the
      new fax
      > number is (510) 235-7760.
      >
      > Directions to the RAP Center:
      > From Richmond/El Cerrito area: Take I-80 East to the Macdonald
      Ave. West
      > exit. Take Macdonald Ave. West to Harbour Way. Go left on Harbour
      Way, left
      > on Florida Ave., and right on 12th St. Park on 12th St. and enter
      the
      > school through the 12th St. gate.
      >
      > From Hercules/Pinole area: Take I-80 West to the Central
      Richmond/San