RE: [wccusdtalk] What do our kid(s) think?

  • leona de ville
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2005
      When I started reading this, I thought, oh, Kennedy, the school built to
      look like a jail, but even then I didn't expect the speech to tell it like
      it is to this extent. Wow.

      Your son is so right about the contrast between public school and college.
      Better conditions result in better students, surprise! This is proved by
      the fact that Contra Costa College's Middle College students have a 95%
      passing rate on state tests. Congratulations and best wishes to you and
      your son. You are both destined to do great things, I'm sure. ~~ Irene
      Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
        --Alicia:

        :My heart is full and my eyes are wet. You have a wonderful and bright son. May all the glory come to him as he go forth in life.
        Scottie Smith

        -------------- Original message from "alicat1967" <alicat1967@...>: --------------

      • SarahCreeley@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
          Hi Alicia and Everybody,
          Alicia your son's speech is courageous because it is critical and honest.
          Congratulations to your son! You must be really proud of him!
          LOVE,
          Sarah

        • Marilyn Langlois
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
            Thanks to Alicia's son, Mike, for his courageous and honest graduation
            speech.

            Board members-- Did you pay attention to what he said?

            In my experience working with youth in Richmond, El Cerrito, Moraga and in
            other countries, I find teenagers are inherently energetic, intelligent and
            caring. They are hungry for knowledge, meaning and connection.

            So when teenagers are faced with a school environment that is condescending,
            alienating, stifling, and disrespectful to them, what happens? Some resign
            themselves and stick it out until they're "free". Some, like Mike, leave
            early and go elsewhere to learn. Some cut classes or drop out. Some take
            out their frustrations by bullying others (as I elaborated on in an earlier
            post).

            What to do? Mike had some suggestions:
            Invite more discussion, less paperwork. Build stronger learning communities
            instead of a prison-like atmosphere. Let students go to the bathroom.
            Grant them opportunities to make their own decisions. Treat them like
            adults. Respect breeds respect.

            Mike's suggestions work! I've seen this, for example, in Richmond High's
            Multimedia Academy, and in numerous individual classrooms.

            Let's get more joy and excitement on all our campuses--true learning is a
            celebration of being alive!!

            Marilyn