What do our kid(s) think?

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2005
      MY SON WAS THE SPEAKER FOR KENNEDY HIGH SUMMER SCHOOL
      AND I WANTED TO SHARE HIS SPEECH. OF COURSE I AM VERY
      BIASED, BUT IT REFLECTS SO MUCH OF WHAT I HAVE HEARD
      FROM OTHER KIDS ABOUT OUR SCHOOLS AND HOW THEY ARE
      TREATED
      June 21 2005
      GOOD EVENING STUDENTS, PARENTS, AND TEACHERS*
      We are here to celebrate an occasion. None of us will fully grasp the
      significance of it until we have had time to let it actually sink in.

      We are Finished!
      We have put in over a decade of schooling and we are finally done!

      Public school, especially high school can be a trying place to spend
      your
      days. Uncredentialed teachers, lackluster supplies, not to mention the
      countless bumps and distractions you're presented with along the way.

      This makes some quit, it makes some cut everyday, or drop out*
      The simple fact is that all of you here show that you/were/focused
      And you are survivors.

      When I began to hate coming to school, I was distracted. I needed to
      be finished sooner than four years, I needed to be rid of that
      children's classroom confinement sooner rather than later*

      So I worked taking extra classes at Vista Community College to graduat
      early. So I stand before you –
      Someone who was meant to graduate in 2006,
      But did it in 2005*

      When I began attending college there was a specific goal, a clear
      purpose.*
      Graduate at any cost! Yet I began college, I realized that I enjoyed
      going. The problems I had with high school weren't present in
      college. I felt like we discussed, more than we did paperwork. I felt
      like it wasn't a penitentiary, the way I felt about high school.
      College has a much stronger of a learning community.

      At El Cerrito, I was on a list of students not allowed to leave
      class, even to use the restroom. At college I was allowed, I was
      granted the ability to make my own decisions and choices. Something
      as insignificant as
      bathroom privileges made me feel like an adult, so I acted as one.

      Many of us, even I am to some extent,
      may be a little hesitant at continuing on in school. Many of us
      aren't even sure what we want to do now!*

      I just want to tell everyone that if you approach it right, college
      is actually enjoyable, it will actually be important to you. If you
      set goals for yourself and aim for them, it can be done with ease.

      As much as I love college level education and don't agree with high
      schools, it has all been for a purpose. The purpose of obtaining a
      high school diploma. The release papers that tell everyone that you
      did your time, and you are ready to head into adulthood and succeed.

      We have completed high school, the good and the bad.
      Now we are READY for whatever the future holds for us. If my
      schooling hasn't taught me anything else, it has taught me this
      However bad something is,
      stick it out and try your best, and it will work out in the end.

      I wish you success –
      FOCUS ON YOUR GOALS
      STAY WITH IT AND YOU WILL MAKE IT.
      WE ALL WILL!
    • leona de ville
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2005
        When I started reading this, I thought, oh, Kennedy, the school built to
        look like a jail, but even then I didn't expect the speech to tell it like
        it is to this extent. Wow.

        Your son is so right about the contrast between public school and college.
        Better conditions result in better students, surprise! This is proved by
        the fact that Contra Costa College's Middle College students have a 95%
        passing rate on state tests. Congratulations and best wishes to you and
        your son. You are both destined to do great things, I'm sure. ~~ Irene
        Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
          --Alicia:

          :My heart is full and my eyes are wet. You have a wonderful and bright son. May all the glory come to him as he go forth in life.
          Scottie Smith

          -------------- Original message from "alicat1967" <alicat1967@...>: --------------

        • SarahCreeley@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
            Hi Alicia and Everybody,
            Alicia your son's speech is courageous because it is critical and honest.
            Congratulations to your son! You must be really proud of him!
            LOVE,
            Sarah

          • Marilyn Langlois
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
              Thanks to Alicia's son, Mike, for his courageous and honest graduation
              speech.

              Board members-- Did you pay attention to what he said?

              In my experience working with youth in Richmond, El Cerrito, Moraga and in
              other countries, I find teenagers are inherently energetic, intelligent and
              caring. They are hungry for knowledge, meaning and connection.

              So when teenagers are faced with a school environment that is condescending,
              alienating, stifling, and disrespectful to them, what happens? Some resign
              themselves and stick it out until they're "free". Some, like Mike, leave
              early and go elsewhere to learn. Some cut classes or drop out. Some take
              out their frustrations by bullying others (as I elaborated on in an earlier
              post).

              What to do? Mike had some suggestions:
              Invite more discussion, less paperwork. Build stronger learning communities
              instead of a prison-like atmosphere. Let students go to the bathroom.
              Grant them opportunities to make their own decisions. Treat them like
              adults. Respect breeds respect.

              Mike's suggestions work! I've seen this, for example, in Richmond High's
              Multimedia Academy, and in numerous individual classrooms.

              Let's get more joy and excitement on all our campuses--true learning is a
              celebration of being alive!!

              Marilyn