Re: [wccusdtalk] Schools sued over discipline policy

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2005
      Ralph-

      I look at this as another chance for the law of unintended
      consequences to evidence itself. While the article casts disciplinary
      transfers as an extra arbitrary punishment, I think it is actually
      used as way of cutting slack for student offenders by providing an
      extra step in the disciplinary ladder. Because of the rising public
      clamor for safer more orderly schools, removing it will probably mean
      more students like the litigants (funny how the victims in these cases
      never seem to get to be litigants) will skip over this step and
      suffer harsher punishment sooner.

      Charley Cowens

      On 5/13/05, ralphebedwell <ralphebedwell@...> wrote:
      > I'm not sure what to think about this. On the one hand, students
      > shouldn't have to be out of school for excessive periods if they're not
      > expelled; on the other hand, I think our schools need stricter
      > discipline policies, not less strict ones.
      >
      > http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california
      > /counties/west_county/11637094.htm
      >
      > "Parents and students have sued the West Contra Costa school district
      > for kicking disciplined students from school to school in alleged
      > violation of state law.
      >
      > "In general, districts must allow parents to choose the school their
      > children attend under California Education Code. However, West Contra
      > Costa district policy says administrators may transfer students against
      > their will to a different campus 'if it solves an extreme personal
      > relations problem.'
      >
      > "That district policy and the long suspensions resulting from it
      > violate Education Code and the state Constitution, according to a
      > complaint filed May 6 in Contra Costa County Superior Court."
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • ralphebedwell
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2005
        That's an interesting point, Charley. It just might play out that
        way.

        Does anyone know what happens to a student who is actually expelled?

        Ralph

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens