Re: Special Board Meeting May 11 - HELP!

  • Francie
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2005
      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967" <ladyluvslife@c...>
      wrote:
      > I was reading about this, not too familiar with the
      > negotiations and everything the employees have to deal
      > with when budget time comes around.

      Alicia-
      The meeting on Wednesday is just a procedural vote to acknowledge the
      judge's findings. If I get any of this wrong, someone please correct
      me.

      Employees receive layoff notices in mid-March. They are entitled to a
      hearing before an administrative judge. The first list in the 5/11
      Board Packet represents the employees who received layoff notices in
      March. The shorter list represents those who are officially laid off,
      after that hearing.

      UTR has very specific rules the district must follow in terms of
      layoffs. It's based upon program needs for next year, seniority and
      (because of NCLB) credentialing. You will see old-timers on the list
      because the Literacy Office is on the list of cuts (they would be
      the "consultants" who are actually our former classroom teachers).
      Also there are some elective teachers on the list (i.e. if Art is not
      being taught at a site next year, then that person gets a layoff
      notice). We also have reductions in staff at some sites due to
      declining enrollments and the Seaview closure. Teachers who have been
      laid off do have "bumping rights", based upon seniority, so they can
      apply first for open positions in the district. We're in the middle
      of the transfer process right now. The layoff list as posted right
      now stands at 89 people. Some of those may have jobs once the
      transfer process is finished. Some get called if open positions still
      aren't filled after the transfer rounds.

      In terms of what employees deal with, it's stressful, as you can
      imagine. Many of those on the layoff list for the past three years
      are young teachers with families. It doesn't help that the District
      can't create an accurate budget until they get numbers from the state
      and that happens AFTER lay-off time (although Ruth Vedovelli and her
      staff have been extraordinary in keeping up with the convoluted state
      fiscal policy and projecting budget numbers for WCCUSD).

      As a teacher who gets laid off each year because I have an annual
      contract (I'm not fully credentialed yet), I appreciate your support.
      However, every single person on the list should know that they are
      being laid off. We get numerous notifications of our situation and
      our rights. This list is smaller than last year's. Keep in mind that
      the proposed budget for next year is being augmented by some one-time
      only savings. The layoff list next spring may be larger.

      Francie Kunaniec
      Library Media Teacher
      Adams Middle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2005
        Also some on the list are people who were teaching when I was teaching at
        Richmond High back in 1982 and are now in positions that are being
        eliminated due to budgets being cut in their specific areas so they will
        then come back into the work force of regular teachers if they do not want
        to retire or go to another district which will mean teachers on yearly
        contracts or probationary status could lose their jobs through the bumping
        or pecking order.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2005
          Perversely enough, May 11th is California Day of the Teacher.

          Charley Cowens

          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2005
            To further complicate the process, some vacancies are
            not reported until or after the last round of bidding.
            In order to give a particular employee a job at a
            particular site, teachers will take positions they
            have no intention of filling just to make sure they
            are at the site when the job they want is financed:
            literacy coach, project assistant, etc. Add to that
            the late reportage of retiring teachers (five at
            Downer)due to the posting only after the retirement
            has been offically proccessed and the non-reportage of
            jobs due to the desire of certian administrators
            hoping to fill positions with certian employees. It
            is a messy process!

            Eduardo

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail