Re: Fwd: West County schools lay off 351 workers

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9 5:29 AM
      Charley,
      Well at the very least bring attention to the fact that even though
      it isn't blaring in the headlines like last year,
      once again we are using very wrong methods to balance our budget
      when there are a TON of things our district can do to save money
      that never even get considered, simply because it involves long time
      dedicated employees who do not see the plastic business vision of
      our superintendent and crew fitting for our kids.

      And encourage people to come to the meeting on May 11 2005.
      And encourage people to question the new positions created and
      brought before the baord last week.
      And encourage people to question to 2 million bucks we seem to have
      to pay to bring the sheirff into our schools.

      I don't get it

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens
      <charley.cowens@g...> wrote:
      > This is from last year. Are you trying to encourage people to come
      > the meeting?
      >
      > Charley Cowens
      >
      > On 5/8/05, alicat1967 <ladyluvslife@c...> wrote:
      > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon J." <sj_jpm@u...>
      wrote:
      > > Posted on Wed, May. 12, 2004
      > >
      > > West County schools lay off 351 workers
      > >
      > > By Ana Facio Contreras
      > >
      > > CONTRA COSTA TIMES
      > >
      > > RICHMOND - The West Contra Costa school board decided to lay off
      351
      > > district employees Tuesday night, including 260 teachers.
      > >
      > > The decision finalized preliminary layoff notices issued in March
      > > when
      > > the board announced $16.5 million in budget cuts, which included
      > > money
      > > for sports, school libraries, counselors and elementary music
      > > programs.
      > >
      > > State law requires school districts to warn employees of pending
      > > layoffs in March and finalize them by May 15.
      > >
      > > During four days of hearings in April, hundreds of teachers
      appeared
      > > before administrative law judge Cheryl R. Tompkin, who considered
      > > appeals of the layoff notices. Since April 6, about 100 layoff
      > > notices
      > > were rescinded, said Terri Jackson, president of the United
      Teachers
      > > of Richmond.
      > >
      > > In addition to the 260 teachers Tuesday, 37 counselors; nine
      school
      > > psychologists; 12 librarians; and 33 administrators were also
      laid
      > > off, said Pat McWilliams, the district's assistant
      superintendent of
      > > human resources.
      > >
      > > Compared with past meetings on layoffs that have been standing
      room
      > > only, Tuesday's meeting was attended by only four people, among
      them
      > > Jackson, who commented on the absence of teachers in the nearly
      empty
      > > multipurpose room at Lovonya Dejean Middle School.
      > >
      > > "I think the question is, where are all the teachers?" Jackson
      said,
      > > who was the only person who spoke on the layoffs. "I'm here to
      > > represent those teachers to say there's a feeling of hopelessness
      > > among them. This is the second year in a row that they've had to
      go
      > > through this. I know your job is difficult, but they feel a
      sense of
      > > hopelessness and also that they're not respected."
      > >
      > > Jackson said many teachers did not show up because they thought
      it
      > > was
      > > "a done deal."
      > >
      > > "Life is going on for these teachers and they're not going to
      waste
      > > time on something they can't control," Jackson said. "Instead,
      > > they're
      > > focusing on something they can control, and that is doing the
      best
      > > job
      > > they can as teachers."
      > >
      > > The passage of Measure B, an $8 million parcel tax, on a special
      June
      > > 8 ballot to help restore many programs cut including counselors
      and
      > > libraries, would bring back counselors and librarians laid off
      > > Tuesday, Jackson said.
      > >
      > > But district officials know that passing the parcel tax will not
      be
      > > enough to solve the beleaguered district's budget problems. Board
      > > President Charles Ramsey and other district officials traveled to
      > > Sacramento on Monday to plead their case to legislators.
      > >
      > > Since the budget cuts, state Sens. Tom Torlakson, D-Antioch, and
      Don