Fwd: West County schools lay off 351 workers

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2005
      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon J." <sj_jpm@u...> wrote:
      Posted on Wed, May. 12, 2004

      West County schools lay off 351 workers

      By Ana Facio Contreras

      CONTRA COSTA TIMES

      RICHMOND - The West Contra Costa school board decided to lay off 351
      district employees Tuesday night, including 260 teachers.

      The decision finalized preliminary layoff notices issued in March
      when
      the board announced $16.5 million in budget cuts, which included
      money
      for sports, school libraries, counselors and elementary music
      programs.

      State law requires school districts to warn employees of pending
      layoffs in March and finalize them by May 15.

      During four days of hearings in April, hundreds of teachers appeared
      before administrative law judge Cheryl R. Tompkin, who considered
      appeals of the layoff notices. Since April 6, about 100 layoff
      notices
      were rescinded, said Terri Jackson, president of the United Teachers
      of Richmond.

      In addition to the 260 teachers Tuesday, 37 counselors; nine school
      psychologists; 12 librarians; and 33 administrators were also laid
      off, said Pat McWilliams, the district's assistant superintendent of
      human resources.

      Compared with past meetings on layoffs that have been standing room
      only, Tuesday's meeting was attended by only four people, among them
      Jackson, who commented on the absence of teachers in the nearly empty
      multipurpose room at Lovonya Dejean Middle School.

      "I think the question is, where are all the teachers?" Jackson said,
      who was the only person who spoke on the layoffs. "I'm here to
      represent those teachers to say there's a feeling of hopelessness
      among them. This is the second year in a row that they've had to go
      through this. I know your job is difficult, but they feel a sense of
      hopelessness and also that they're not respected."

      Jackson said many teachers did not show up because they thought it
      was
      "a done deal."

      "Life is going on for these teachers and they're not going to waste
      time on something they can't control," Jackson said. "Instead,
      they're
      focusing on something they can control, and that is doing the best
      job
      they can as teachers."

      The passage of Measure B, an $8 million parcel tax, on a special June
      8 ballot to help restore many programs cut including counselors and
      libraries, would bring back counselors and librarians laid off
      Tuesday, Jackson said.

      But district officials know that passing the parcel tax will not be
      enough to solve the beleaguered district's budget problems. Board
      President Charles Ramsey and other district officials traveled to
      Sacramento on Monday to plead their case to legislators.

      Since the budget cuts, state Sens. Tom Torlakson, D-Antioch, and Don
      Perata, D-Oakland, and Assemblywoman Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, have
      pledged to pressure other state lawmakers for relief from, if not
      forgiveness of, the outstanding $16.8 million balance on the state
      loan.

      But until that happens, board members George Harris III and Karen
      Fenton said they have no choice but to make the difficult decision to
      laying off certified staff in order for the district to stay solvent.

      "It's sad that so many livelihoods are in limbo," Harris said. "We
      hope that many teachers will be recalled but unfortunately we don't
      know. This is not what I signed up for when I ran for school board."

      Pat Player was the only board member absent because of an out-of-town
      meeting.
      --- End forwarded message ---
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2005
        This is from last year. Are you trying to encourage people to come to
        the meeting?

        Charley Cowens

      • alicat1967
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2005
          Charley,
          Well at the very least bring attention to the fact that even though
          it isn't blaring in the headlines like last year,
          once again we are using very wrong methods to balance our budget
          when there are a TON of things our district can do to save money
          that never even get considered, simply because it involves long time
          dedicated employees who do not see the plastic business vision of
          our superintendent and crew fitting for our kids.

          And encourage people to come to the meeting on May 11 2005.
          And encourage people to question the new positions created and
          brought before the baord last week.
          And encourage people to question to 2 million bucks we seem to have
          to pay to bring the sheirff into our schools.

          I don't get it

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens