Special Board Meeting May 11 - HELP!

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2005
      I was reading about this, not too familiar with the
      negotiations and everything the employees have to deal
      with when budget time comes around.

      This situation looks a bit different.
      It almost looks like employees (most of them LONG TIME employees)
      appealed a layoff situation to the court??
      They were notified back in March.

      If anyone knows how to explain this most appreciated.
      And why would we approve some new positions at the last board meeting
      when we are laying people off in the very same office (i.e. LeBlanc's
      office)

      Thanks
      Alicia
    • Francie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2005
        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967" <ladyluvslife@c...>
        wrote:
        > I was reading about this, not too familiar with the
        > negotiations and everything the employees have to deal
        > with when budget time comes around.

        Alicia-
        The meeting on Wednesday is just a procedural vote to acknowledge the
        judge's findings. If I get any of this wrong, someone please correct
        me.

        Employees receive layoff notices in mid-March. They are entitled to a
        hearing before an administrative judge. The first list in the 5/11
        Board Packet represents the employees who received layoff notices in
        March. The shorter list represents those who are officially laid off,
        after that hearing.

        UTR has very specific rules the district must follow in terms of
        layoffs. It's based upon program needs for next year, seniority and
        (because of NCLB) credentialing. You will see old-timers on the list
        because the Literacy Office is on the list of cuts (they would be
        the "consultants" who are actually our former classroom teachers).
        Also there are some elective teachers on the list (i.e. if Art is not
        being taught at a site next year, then that person gets a layoff
        notice). We also have reductions in staff at some sites due to
        declining enrollments and the Seaview closure. Teachers who have been
        laid off do have "bumping rights", based upon seniority, so they can
        apply first for open positions in the district. We're in the middle
        of the transfer process right now. The layoff list as posted right
        now stands at 89 people. Some of those may have jobs once the
        transfer process is finished. Some get called if open positions still
        aren't filled after the transfer rounds.

        In terms of what employees deal with, it's stressful, as you can
        imagine. Many of those on the layoff list for the past three years
        are young teachers with families. It doesn't help that the District
        can't create an accurate budget until they get numbers from the state
        and that happens AFTER lay-off time (although Ruth Vedovelli and her
        staff have been extraordinary in keeping up with the convoluted state
        fiscal policy and projecting budget numbers for WCCUSD).

        As a teacher who gets laid off each year because I have an annual
        contract (I'm not fully credentialed yet), I appreciate your support.
        However, every single person on the list should know that they are
        being laid off. We get numerous notifications of our situation and
        our rights. This list is smaller than last year's. Keep in mind that
        the proposed budget for next year is being augmented by some one-time
        only savings. The layoff list next spring may be larger.

        Francie Kunaniec
        Library Media Teacher
        Adams Middle
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2005
          Also some on the list are people who were teaching when I was teaching at
          Richmond High back in 1982 and are now in positions that are being
          eliminated due to budgets being cut in their specific areas so they will
          then come back into the work force of regular teachers if they do not want
          to retire or go to another district which will mean teachers on yearly
          contracts or probationary status could lose their jobs through the bumping
          or pecking order.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2005
            Perversely enough, May 11th is California Day of the Teacher.

            Charley Cowens

            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2005
              To further complicate the process, some vacancies are
              not reported until or after the last round of bidding.
              In order to give a particular employee a job at a
              particular site, teachers will take positions they
              have no intention of filling just to make sure they
              are at the site when the job they want is financed:
              literacy coach, project assistant, etc. Add to that
              the late reportage of retiring teachers (five at
              Downer)due to the posting only after the retirement
              has been offically proccessed and the non-reportage of
              jobs due to the desire of certian administrators
              hoping to fill positions with certian employees. It
              is a messy process!

              Eduardo

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail