Re: BOND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE MEETINGS WHERE?

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2005
      Kevin,
      Thanks so much for getting this out there.
      This is VERY wrong.

      So the floating aorund of the CBOC meetings, was that one of
      those "oh by the way it was decided" things, or were the members
      even asked? Is it going to be reported at the school board meeting?
      Would this not be a violation of the laws of public right to know
      regarding open public meetings dealing with the spending of public
      monies?

      Or is my parent brain on overdrive again?

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@h...>
      wrote:
      > Alicia,
      >
      > I think first the school site where the next Citizens Bond
      Oversight
      > Committee (CBOC) meeting is going to be held needs to be chosen.
      That has
      > yet to be done as far as I know. Once that first step is done then
      someone
      > who made that decision needs to get in touch with the web mistress
      and give
      > that information to her. In an acceptable format, I presume. Then
      the web
      > mistress needs to get it on the CBOC website and hopefully all
      members of
      > the CBOC will have access to the web and monitor the site to find
      out where
      > the new meeting location will be.
      >
      > Then, hopefully, any interested member of the public will somehow
      find out
      > that the CBOC meetings are now mobile and are not going to be in a
      > stationary place any more and will have access to the web and find
      out about
      > this new policy that was not announced anywhere where the general
      public
      > might hear about the new policy. Sorry for the run on sentance.
      >
      > So once again this district in attempting to do something that on
      the face
      > of it sounds good might actually stifle public involvement,
      unintentionally.

      > Kevin
      >
      > >From: "alicat1967" <ladyluvslife@c...>
      > >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: BOND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE WEBSITE IS
      UPDATED!!
      > >Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 06:49:31 -0000
      > >
      > >Ok Mr. Rivard,
      > >You must know the process on how to get that changed on the site.
      > >As I read, the documents must be delivered to Tech Futures in a
      > >certain format and if they have to convert those documents to put
      on
      > >the site, that is an extra charge.
      > >There is a part of that proposal that is too OPEN ENDED for
      comfort.
      > >The part about the chain of command on the passing of the data to
      > >Tech Futures.
      > >And Emily Vaughn-Henry? I read Feb was her first meeting. How is
      > >she going to figure in it? If that website falls behind again do
      we
      > >call her?
      > >Thanks
      > >

      > >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@h...>
      > >wrote:
      > > > Alicia,
      > > >
      > > > The Bond Oversight Committee (BOC) meetings are now listed on
      the
      > >BOC site,
      > > > now the only problem is we are no longer meeting at the 1300
      > >Potrero Avenue,
      > > > Richmond, CA 94804 address. At the last BOC meeting we were
      told
      > >the
      > > > meetings will now be held at different schools that are in the
      > >Bond program
      > > > to allow the BOC to view the sites. We have yet to be told
      where
      > >the next
      > > > meeting will be so it will be a get in your car and be ready to
      > >roll where
      > > > ever we are told to go. Hopefully, the BOC members will be
      told at
      > >least the
      > > > day before via e-mail so we have enough time to Mapquest the
      > >easiest way to
      > > > get to where ever we are going.
      > > >
      > > > It is nice to see the money finally paying off in that the
      > >information on
      > > > the BOC website is finally becoming current.
      > > >
      > > > Oh. and about your comment wondering who is making the decision
      > >about who's
      > > > pot of Maintenance Recreation Assessment District (MRAD) money
      is
      > >being
      > > > raided for the soccer field at Sheldon and who is making that
      > >decision, your
      > > > guess is as good as mine. I think it is outrageous that in
      April
      > >the Board
      > > > can approve the expenditure of MRAD funds at a Board meeting
      > >without any
      > > > sort of menu or budget for the $5,200,000 and then during the
      year
      > >someone
      > > > downtown can decide how to spend that money and then go out to
      the
      > >School
      > > > Site Councils (SSC's) and say this is how we want you to spend
      the
      > >money and
      > > > force it upon the SSC's.
      > > >
      > > > If downtown says this is not how it happened then show me last
      > >year's MRAD
      > > > budget dated April 2004 where the soccer field for Sheldon was
      > >shown as a
      > > > budget item or for that matter where was the field in the 2005
      > >MRAD budget.
      > > > Where in any SSC minutes is there a reference to this soccer
      field
      > >with the
      > > > expenditures of the lumped together R-9 and MRAD funds and
      which
      > >SSC's in
      > > > their minutes agreed to giving up their pot of MRAD funds to
      lump
      > >it
      > > > together for this project.
      > > >
      > > > Will the Board demand such accountability. I doubt it, they
      never
      > >have
      > > > before.
      > > >
      > > > No one will ask because no one wants to make anyone
      accountable,
      > >just like
      > > > the TIIG funds, Title 1 funds and so on. If the question is not
      > >asked then
      > > > there is plausible deniability, just as within any bureaucratic
      > > > organization. Of course those of us that do pose the questions
      are
      > >just
      > > > called naysayers or worse.
      > > >
      > > > Alicia, keep asking the questions and I will ask them at the
      BOC

      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2005
        Alicia,

        I am here for the ride and to hopefully make a difference for the Special
        Needs Kids (CAC) of the district concerning the schools being built in with
        the bond monies. I wish I could take most of the credit but since the CAC
        has been allowed a seat at the table some issues that might not have been
        addressed have come to the forefront mostly due to the Herculean efforts of
        our current CAC chairwoman (I refuse to be politically correct) Gretchen
        Borg who single handedly has gone through the elementary schools and found
        out many of the problems needed to be addressed in the new bond program for
        special needs kids.

        I could have raised the same issues that you bring up below but Lynette
        warned me long ago that my cynicism and continued bitching was turning
        people off and so I am picking my battles more carefully and hoping people
        other than myself will ask the questions that really do not matter in the
        grander scheme of things.

        Considering, in my several months of being on the CBOC, there have only been
        a couple of times people from the public have shown up I did not consider
        this one of the battles I wanted to pursue. Those that read this forum and
        are interested in attending will know what night and time to leave available
        for the CBOC meeting and I will post the meeting place as soon as I get it
        so those interested will be able to attend.

        I hope this long winded response has not bored you.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
          Oh wait - no its not.
          Mr. Rivard - I'm extremely disapppointed, thought this had
          been ironed on with responsibility, chain of command, getting
          the documents to Tech Futures. Who do we contact at the
          district? Is it Bill Savidge?
          Please - as a member of the subcommittee for the website
          find out what is it going to take to ensure this stays
          updated AS AGREED by Tech Futures.
          Oh, and I have to ask you when the next CBOC mtg is,
          since its not on the website.
          Thx
          amedina

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967" <ladyluvslife@c...>
          wrote:
          The meetings page has been updatd from 2003 to the curent year!!!

          I haven't checked out the rest of the site, just wanted to get the
          link on this list so people can check it out if they want and ask
          questions of good old Mr. Rivard. CBOC member.

          Going to read the minutes of the last meetings

          http://www.wccusd-bond-oversight.com/
          --- End forwarded message ---
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
            Alicia,

            Why worry about the website?

            Ask your Board Members about why the Audit is a year behind.

            Talk about a joke.

            And they want the community to trust them with $400 million more.

            You can't even get the media interested.

            My gums are tired of flapping. If the community wants to keep giving this
            district Bond money with the way this district accounts for their actions
            then I say more power to the Board in getting the community to open their
            wallets.

            I am very happy with the way Mr. Savidge is responding to the Special Ed
            needs which is who I represent on the oversight committee.

            Kevin

            >From: "alicat1967" <alicat1967@...>
            >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com,ellen@...
            >Subject: [wccusdtalk] BOND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE WEBSITE IS UPDATED!!
            >Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:59:10 -0000
            >
            >Oh wait - no its not.
            >Mr. Rivard - I'm extremely disapppointed, thought this had
            >been ironed on with responsibility, chain of command, getting
            >the documents to Tech Futures. Who do we contact at the
            >district? Is it Bill Savidge?
            >Please - as a member of the subcommittee for the website
            >find out what is it going to take to ensure this stays
            >updated AS AGREED by Tech Futures.
            >Oh, and I have to ask you when the next CBOC mtg is,
            >since its not on the website.
            >Thx
            >amedina
            >

            >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967" <ladyluvslife@c...>
            >wrote:
            >The meetings page has been updatd from 2003 to the curent year!!!
            >
            >I haven't checked out the rest of the site, just wanted to get the
            >link on this list so people can check it out if they want and ask
            >questions of good old Mr. Rivard. CBOC member.
            >
            >Going to read the minutes of the last meetings
            >

            >http://www.wccusd-bond-oversight.com/
            >--- End forwarded message ---

          • Alicia Pohl
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
              Kevin,
              First - kudos to Bill Savidge! Thank you for sharing that
              info. These folks hear plenty when things are not going
              right - they need all the compliments they deserve.

              THUD!
              (sound of me dropping the dead horse I am beating)
              The website is worthless - and if West County actually
              approves the bond measure, let us ask
              what happened to the parcel tax exemption for
              seniors? How long ago since the last bond measure
              was approved? So many lies were told to our seniors
              where I live, and NO EXEMPTION.
              And if the bond measure is approved
              let us realize
              no one is listening - and no one is paying attention.
              And that is when our kids monies seem to disappear.

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                Now Alicia, I never said they, the administration, lied.

                I was accused yesterday of misleading the people by someone very high up in
                the administration at Bissell.

                I was asking questions and have not said anything publicly, yet by simply
                asking questions, trying to get information, trying to ascertain for my own
                information to get the facts straight I was accused of being misleading.

                This is how the intimidation starts. This administration, as with past
                administration, attempts to intimidate first, then discredit the messenger
                second and finally when they cannot do either they go to court or the media
                and put on a full court press, with their spin, pardon the pun.

                I was not the one who said that Lavonnya DeJean could be built for $17
                million and then had the price go to almost $50. I was not the one who said
                all the schools could be rebuilt or renovated for less than $500 million and
                now the cost is at least $1.3 billion. I was not the one who allowed the
                Contra Costa Building Trades Association (Unions) to write their own Project
                Labor Agreement with the District and then have the Board vote to make that
                the law of the West Contra Costa Schools building program hindering
                competition as stated by their own consultant at one of our Bond Oversight
                meetings, but I am the one who was accused of misleading the public
                yesterday by a district administrator.

                So the slick brochures will come out, the intimidation will go on, the
                prices will escalate, due to outside economic forces as well as some
                district installed economic forces and the voters will be made to feel they
                have no option other than punishing the poor kids of our district if they
                do not vote to give more money to the district's escalating building plan.

                This has been the tactic and will continue to be the tactic of all public
                entities, whether they be city councils, county, state or federal.
                Intimidation, guilt trips and lack of accountability, and the beat goes on.

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                  Dear Kevin,
                  Thank You! Thank You!
                  I ask the same questions, but not to the admiinistration.
                  Please don't back down, some of us are listening!

                  I am off to take my son to Soccer practice, then I will attend the
                  K-8 committee meeting...oops I forgot dinner...guess it's fast food.
                  **SIGH**
                  Good Lord, I hope my son gets picked up from practice by his
                  father.....
                  I will write later, but please keep up the GOOD WORK KEVIN!

                  Jill