Re: Community needs some engaging NOW!

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2005
      Hello All
      Here is the reply I received VERY quickly from our webmaster
      of the WCCUSD site Mr. Jung.

      All of our techies please check this out and give Mr. Jung some
      much needed feedback! Like I said before, he is VERY responsive
      and with a close relationship between him and Marin Trujillo, WCCUSD
      Family and Community Involvement Coordinator
      there is the slight possibility
      we could use this massive website for some community engagement for
      those with computers.
      So we need to get on it! Send in your feedback to him AND Mr.
      Trujillo.

      Thanks
      AMedina

      Mr. Jung
      michael.jung@...
      marin.trujillo@...

      COPY OF RESPONSE FROM MR. JUNG WCCUSD WEBMASTER

      From: "Michael Jung" <Michael.Jung@...>
      To: <ladyluvslife@...>
      Subject: Fwd: Re: Community needs some engaging NOW!
      Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:13:06 +0000

      Hi Alicia, thanks for forwarding that message to me. Thanks, also,
      for
      your feedback about the district website - I am in the process of
      doing
      a thorough, detailed analysis and overhaul of it. The ultimate goals
      are
      to make the site more user-friendly, so that community members can
      navigate through it more easily, and to create a more organized,
      systematized information structure on the district web server, so
      that
      the Communications office can administer and update the site with
      greater speed and efficiency. Obviously it's a big project - the
      website
      has 472 directories and sub-directories and well over 8,000 separate
      files (HTML, PDF, JPEG, Word, etc.) - the process will be gradual,
      and
      is in the very, very early stages. I'm going to be doing this for a
      while, and input is helpful and always welcome.

      I understand the frustration about the unavailability of certain
      documents on the website - we are, in fact, planning to post the
      safety
      information within the next couple of days. There is a monstrous
      crush
      of work in this office (as I know is true for everyone who works for
      the
      district) and it's an unfortunate reality that sometimes important
      documents have to wait their turn before being handled. The safety
      information is one of those important documents, as is the district
      directory, as are the board agendas and packets, as are the NCLB
      notifications, as are the weekly press releases, etc. and so on and
      so
      forth. One of my challenges is figuring out where all of these
      documents
      should APPEAR on the website! But please rest assured that we are
      doing
      a mighty juggling act in our efforts to be timely and responsive -
      we
      know that everyone in the district relies on us to distribute the
      information they need. I believe that the effort to streamline and
      quicken that distribution process was being made before I arrived,
      and
      will continue to be made now that I'm here. Thanks very much.

      Mike Jung
      Communications Coordinator

      END OF RESPONSE FROM MR. JUNG WCCUSD WEBMASTER/COMMUINCATIONS
      COORDINATOR

      >>> "alicat1967" 5/4/2005 2:12:27 AM >>>
      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967"
      wrote:
      Charley-
      Thanks for the reply.
      I have been impressed at the cleaning up of the district site, why
      is this not used as a tool to engage our community?
      Our new webmaster is responsive, I will forward this on to him and
      see what he has to say. And CC to Paul.
      Thanks
      Alicia

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "alicat1967" <ladyluvslife@c...>
      wrote:
      > Charley-
      > Thanks for the reply.
      > I have been impressed at the cleaning up of the district site, why
      > is this not used as a tool to engage our community?
      > Our new webmaster is responsive, I will forward this on to him and
      > see what he has to say. And CC to Paul.
      > Thanks
      > Alicia
      >

      > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens
      > <charley.cowens@g...> wrote:
      > > Alicia-
      > >
      > > You bring up a lot of issues. The total lack of any helpful
      safety
      > > issue information on the Web site is an excellent point, but I
      > really
      > > think this area is the responsibility of Paul Ehara. What makes
      > this
      > > such a damning omission is that he has a Webmaster now to do the
      > work,
      > > but that doesn't seem to have led to an increase in the
      > > informativeness of the Web site.
      > >
      > > Charley Cowens
      > >
      > > On 5/4/05, alicat1967 <ladyluvslife@c...> wrote:
      > > > As I look at our school district website, so neatly cleaned up
      > and
      > > > revamped since our webmaster took position I am puzzled that
      the
      > > > current issue regarding SAFETY or the proposal for the SHEIRFF
      > DEPT
      > > > to handle security on our middle/high school campuses is not
      even
      > > > listed - not even a FAQ PAGE.
      > > > Perhaps Mr. Trujillo can explain the relationship he has with
      the
      > > > communications department and if he has the authority to ask
      that
      > > > such things be put on the website. I mean he WAS hired to
      engage
      > > > the community, I would think a simple act of putting a brief
      > page on
      > > > the subject with meeting days would be a GOOD THING - would it
      > not?
      > > >
      > > > I do hope Mr. Trujillo (district FAMILY AND COMMUNITY
      ENGAGEMENT
      > > > COORDINATOR) reads this list as alot of our adminstrators do.
      > > > While Mr. Trujillo made his announcement of "carrying on his
      > > > predecessor's plans laid out" and meeting with 60 principals,
      > > > my parent brain is reeling at a few things that don't add up.
      > > >
      > > > First, our superintendent had promised the community that the
      > plans
      > > > laid out by Debbie Supple would indeed continue. Remember
      Family
      > > > Advisory Netowrk of the Superintendent? I bought it.
      > > > Big time. Hey when things look HOPELESS you jump on any
      little
      > ray
      > > > of it. And its a shame but the district uses the community and
      > > > their HOPELESSNESS to keep them out of the schools.
      > > >
      > > > It looks by Mr. Trujillo's
      > > > statement ithat once again - PROMISING IDEAS AND PRACTICES TO
      > ENGAGE
      > > > OUR COMMUNITY HAVE BEEN PUT ON THAT SHELF (That shelf with the
      > > > safety audit done in 2001) SO ANOTHER PERSON CAN START A WHOLE
      > BRAND
      > > > NEW SET OF PLANS
      > > >
      > > > I say that because Mr. Trujillo quotes Epstein's Six Types of
      > > > Involvement, he only mentions focusing on two.
      > > > The previous plan drawn up by Ms. Supple included all Six
      Types