Re: 5 years old arrest in school

  • alicat1967
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2005
      Ok in regards to police on the campuses.

      First - may I say R.I.P. to Willie Calvin who was a truancy officer
      at RHS for many years.
      You didn't want to get caught cutting school by CALVIN not only
      would you be in the dean's office, you would have to HEAR ABOUT IT
      the next time you saw him. And the next time. And the next time.
      You also heard from him if he saw you making it in your class
      hitting your butt on that seat when the bell rang. Even a wave,
      thumbs up, ENCOURAGEMENT.

      We have MANY site supervisors that go ABOVE AND BEYOND every single
      day for our kids keeping that connection that Willie Calvin had with
      the kids back in my days at RHS. The facts are clear that our site
      supervisors have never been given the training or recognition that
      this HIGHLY IMPORTANT job deseves.
      So we toss the idea aside and call in the sheriff??
      Outsiders on our campuses?
      With guns?
      With the condition of our campuses at this current time and the way
      the kids have pretty much taken over our schools, unless we see a
      Willie Calvin approach to respecting our kids by not accepting
      disrespect, this is a powderkeg waiting to explode if this decision
      is approved.

      The last kid I talked to about this on Friday, said they could not
      wait to "f*ck with the cops coming to their school"

      When I told my Dad about the proposal he was not surprised. He
      said, "What do they expect with the crappy way that school looks -
      kids out there doing whatever they want and parking that school
      police car RIGHT IN FRONT of the school - diagonally - to show the
      whole world how bad our kids are"

      Its past time to expect the best from our kids
      and our community members!
      And its past time to expect the best from the school board members.
      Many of them elected because they went out to the community and
      addressed concerns like safety.

      SITE SUPEVISION DUTY should be mandatory for ALL BOARD MEMBERS who
      have this VERY IMPORTANT DECISION TO MAKE.
      BEFORE SCHOOL - WATCH THE KIDS LEAVE INSTEAD OF GO THROUGH THE DOORS
      LUNCHTIME - OUR SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED CAMPUSES. TRY TELLING A FEW OF
      OUR KIDS THAT AND SEE WHAT KIND OF RESULTS YOU GET.
      WALK THE HALLS WITH THE SITE SUPERVISOR
      We know you all have other jobs, 30 minutes from each of you would
      be plenty. Go take a look at the School Site Safety Plan.
      (NO not the plan about terrorism). Find out where the site
      supervisors fit into the school site safety plan
      (if they even have one)
      Board - MAKE A WELL THOUGHT OUT DECISION ON THIS.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, rcs101@a... wrote:

      > --Tammy:
      >
      > I did not say all police are bad, but I did say depending on who
      you are and what community you come from it does make a difference
      in the way one view the police or interact with them. Glen alluded
      to this same type of perception, when the issue about the military
      recruiters coming on school campuses came up. If it upset you to
      hear that some have a different perspective of the police, that is
      sad for you. But the fact that the police is perceive differently by
      different groups and communities is "researched based", therefore,
      the board has a responsibility to really look at this issues, not
      only in terms of cost, but the many other areas that could have an
      impact on the education of all students. This may upset some, but
      many believe that the school are preparing many students for jail,
      therefore, this new proposal of city police feeds right into this
      belief. So again, there should be community forums on this subject
      and not just in Pinole.

      > Scottie Smith
      >

      > -------------- Original message from Rebecca Hazlewood
      <rah_tax@s...>: --------------

      > > Charley: I think your posting is a very realistic, supposition
      about the
      > > district's motivation. The back story to this whole police issue
      could be the
      > > question of liability. After all the City of El Cerrito no
      longer has any swings
      > > in any of its playgrounds because of liability concerns.
      > >
      > > Rebecca
      > >
      > > Charley Cowens wrote:
      > > I didn't get police-as-bullies from Scottie's posting.
      Interacting
      > > more directly with the police will lead to jail as a more likely
      > > outcome for students. Depending on your point of view, this may
      be a
      > > bad thing or a good thing, but it doesn't have to do necessarily
      with
      > > the personal characteristics of the police.
      > >
      > > Am I the only person on this list who thinks the real story with
      the
      > > 5-year old is just how paralyzed with fear of litigation and
      attitudes
      > > staff and teachers are in dealing with discipline in school such
      that
      > > they feel compelled to call in the relatively more litigation-
      proof
      > > police to deal with discipline problems?
      > >
      > > Charley Cowens
      > >
      > > On 4/27/05, Tammera Campbell wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Scottie,
      > > > Let me remind you that under Chief Bill Lansdowne, Richmond
      Chief a few years
      > > back, Richmond PD officers were stationed on Richmond and
      Kennedy campuses
      > > because of the violence. At that time Bill instituted truancy
      sweeps and got
      > > the kids off the street and back into school at the cost to the
      city. As I
      > > recall the students and the officers developed a relationships,
      but then again
      > > let's stereotype all cops as harsh, rough, tough, get in your
      face people. When
      > > we lived in Richmond for 13 years and Chris was crime prevention
      chairman for 7
      > > years, we worked with the neighborhoods and the police to try
      and improve
      > > communication and crime in the city. That was when the
      neighborhood councils
      > > were born and crime actually diminished in the city. So if
      everyone is going to
      > > jump to the conclusion that every cop is bad and a bully, then I
      need to walk
      > > away from this conversation.
      > > > Tammy Campbell
      > > >
      > > > rcs101@a... wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --Hello all:
      > > >
      > > > I guess you saw or heard about the kindergartener who was
      arrested in Florida.
      > > I hope this is not the direction this district will be going in
      with its new
      > > policing policy in this district. I haven't had much time to
      read all the
      > > e-mails about this new "money saving" direction, but I would
      think there are
      > > other ways to save money, rather than cutting the jobs of some
      of our lowest
      > > paid, less benefits and a group of employee that are the first
      to give up money
      > > for the children.
      > > >
      > > > It seems strange to me that the new safety policy that would
      turn schools into
      > > a police campus is coming up now. I can remember when kids at
      Kennedy and
      > > Richmond high was dying and all kinds of violents was occurring,
      but the thought
      > > or talk about saftey was not a high priority, but now, schools
      will not only be
      > > a place where students can't learn, but where they will be taken
      of to jails.
      > > What's up with education.
      > > >
      > > > Scottie Smith

      Service.

      > > > Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
      > > > Pinole CARE
      > > > Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
      > > > Pinole Valley High School Boosters
      > > > Pinole Middle School Site Council President
      > > > Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
      > > > 2668 Alhambra Way
      > > > Pinole, CA 94564
      > > > Home: 510-223-3857
      > > > Work: 510-486-4460
      > > > Fax: 510-222-4643
      > > > Pager: 510-425-3192
      > > > Email: Tammera.Campbell@c...
      > > >
      > > > Following are contacts for other email lists to consider
      joining:
      > > > Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@y...
      > > > Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@h...
      > > > Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@c...
      > > > Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@s...
      > > > Pinole CARE: parents@c...
      > > > WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

      Service.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2005
        Scottie,
        Have you forgotten that I lived in Richmond for 13 years and many of those years worked in the community and pushed to support better community communication and community policing. My husband was crime prevention chairman for 7 years. I understand the different perspectives on how communities view law enforcement. I am not ignorant or blind to the issues. What I find unfortunate is that we are not willing to move toward a direction where open dialog between students and law enforcement can take place. And yes the board must take the responsibility to hear all sides from all communities not just Pinole. All I know is I am not waiting for someone to have yet another meeting to decide that we cannot do something right now. We have identified a good portion of the issues at Pinole, now we need to look for the right resources to bring in and support these kids. We need to begin to build a team at that school. It is time for action. We all talk about sites being the responsible
        decision making bodies. Let our site move forward, build that counseling center, and get the discipline back into the school.
        Tammy

        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2005
          Is someone going to go talk to the kids about this issue before a
          decision is made? Does anyone care what THEY think about the
          sheirff conming in and taking over security?

          I have alot of feelings about this but what keeps coming back to me
          is that the real experts are the kids and every single time, we seem
          to skip over what they think and argue and finger point at each
          other while the district scoots another decision through behind our
          backs.

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
          <tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          read all the
          > > e-mails about this new "money saving" direction, but I would
          think there are
          > > other ways to save money, rather than cutting the jobs of some
          of our lowest
          > > paid, less benefits and a group of employee that are the first
          to give up money
          > > for the children.
          > > >
          > > > It seems strange to me that the new safety policy that would
          turn schools into
          > > a police campus is coming up now. I can remember when kids at
          Kennedy and
          > > Richmond high was dying and all kinds of violents was occurring,
          but the thought
          > > or talk about saftey was not a high priority, but now, schools
          will not only be
          > > a place where students can't learn, but where they will be taken

          Service.