Re: Actual paycuts during bankruptcy

  • ralphebedwell
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      Bea,

      I didn't say that "all the best teachers will automatically gravitate
      to higher paying districts." However, SOME of the will definitely do
      so, and SOME talented newcomers who will eventually become great
      teachers will choose to start their careers elsewhere. If you lose
      SOME of the best here, and SOME of the best there, the net result is
      that MOST kids lose. Yes, SOME will stay, but not ALL.

      For example, I know a great teacher -- definitely among the best that
      I have been around -- who is choosing to leave our district at the
      end of the year for a neighboring district. Why? She will receive a
      $10,000 raise. Why is that important? She has two kids to support,
      and a mortgage. This decision does not make her any less dedicated
      to kids; she will be teaching just as many kids in her new job as she
      has been teaching here. They will get the benefit of her experience,
      expertise, and talent, not WCCUSD kids. As her credential is an area
      of scarcity, it is likely that she will be replaced by a newcomer,
      perhaps even someone without a full credential. I'm sure she is not
      the only one, and inevitably more will follow in the future.

      Rebecca is correct that not everyone who leaves a job does so because
      of the money. But SOME do, and that contributes to the overall brain
      drain that compromises our children's education.

      Ralph

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Bea Lieberman" <bilanalieb@c...>