Actual paycuts during bankruptcy

  • Rebecca Hazlewood
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      Referring to the below comment in Shirley Dang's article in the Times today. The year before the bankruptcy Dr. Marks gave the teachers an 8% pay increase. The next year he gave them a 9% pay increase. For a total of a 17% pay increase. What was rescinded during the bankruptcy was the second pay increase. But the teachers have kept the original 8% pay increase granted by Dr. Marks, in addition to any other pay increases that have been granted over the years. Dr. Marks' philosophy was to raise teacher pay to attract the best and the brightest to the district. That was the same philosophy that Dennis Chaconis had in Oakland. Please read the recent article, "Caustic Reformer."

      But I would also like to say here that I think the rise in administrator salaries and benefits is reprehensible and they get all the same lifetime health benefits. So I believe this problem divides equally between the teachers, the administrators and the classified staff.

      It looks to me like education will go down the drain before all the benefits; perks; and extras do for the people that run and staff our schools.

      Rebecca

      "...Union leaders said teachers have already taken massive pay cuts in order to ensure lifetime benefits. For instance, when the district went bankrupt in 1991, teachers took a 9 percent hit..".

    • ralphebedwell
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        Rebecca,

        Arguing over the history is really incidental here. The real issue
        in the current negotiations is how does overall teacher compensation
        in this district compare to that of other districts within commuting
        distance of the WCCUSD area? If other districts offer significantly
        more, many WCCUSD teachers (and likely ones who are among those you
        would most want to keep) will choose to change districts. That's
        just reality.

        Anyway, we're asking dedicated workers in an important field who have
        put a lot of time and education into becoming skilled professionals
        to agree to take less in compensation for their services than they
        have been, despite the fact that their real compensation has been
        dropping for years even without these changes being made. You can't
        blame them for resisting this, can you?

        Ralph

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Hazlewood <rah_tax@s...>

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          Ralph, I honestly believe you have one of the most rational and logical voices on this listserv. Yet I must argue with you. Over the years I have seen many teachers and administrators leave for a variety of reasons. Pay isn't always the reason. Sometimes teachers just want to stake out a new life; other times they can't stand the conditions of employment; sometimes it is pay as you say. And other times we have fantastic teachers who stay here, many of whom I know and respect.

          As for administrators, I have seen some leave to advance in administrative hierarchy. I have seen others fired. In fact I have seen many good ones fired. I just don't believe that this whole compensation package that is currently being offered here and in other places is the primary driver as you suggest. Compensation is important, I agree. But look at prison guards who make substantially more than teachers and yet now are filing unbelievable numbers of union grievances, sorry to say my cousin is one of their lawyers (I told you guys my family are pure civil service). They are so upset at any little reduction in their conditions. My uncle, the one who lives in Eureka, was trained as a teacher, whose wife was the daughter of an Eureka Police Officer, is actually saying that things aren't fair in this state regarding prison guards. That is his father side talking. His daughter is a prison guard lawyer. I know that in his gut of guts he would say what I am saying. This whole thing
          is out of control. He made his living running a pluming supply company after getting his teaching credential in SF, so he could be with his love, my aunt Marylee. He is the most balanced person I know, but now that his baby is a prison guard lawyer he has to back her up. I said nothing to my dear Uncle as he was explaining all this to me. I know how much he loves his kids.

          But if we are able to speak up, because we have no conflict of interest, we must, and I don't, have a conflict of interest that is.

          Rebecca

          wrote:

          > Referring to the below comment in Shirley Dang's article in the
          Times today. The year before the bankruptcy Dr. Marks gave the
          teachers an 8% pay increase. The next year he gave them a 9% pay
          increase. For a total of a 17% pay increase. What was rescinded
          during the bankruptcy was the second pay increase. But the teachers
          have kept the original 8% pay increase granted by Dr. Marks, in
          addition to any other pay increases that have been granted over the
          years. Dr. Marks' philosophy was to raise teacher pay to attract the
          best and the brightest to the district. That was the same philosophy
          that Dennis Chaconis had in Oakland. Please read the recent
          article, "Caustic Reformer."

          > But I would also like to say here that I think the rise in
          administrator salaries and benefits is reprehensible and they get all
          the same lifetime health benefits. So I believe this problem divides
          equally between the teachers, the administrators and the classified
          staff.

          > It looks to me like education will go down the drain before all the
          benefits; perks; and extras do for the people that run and staff our
          schools.

          > Rebecca
          >
          > "...Union leaders said teachers have already taken massive pay cuts
          in order to ensure lifetime benefits. For instance, when the district
          went bankrupt in 1991, teachers took a 9 percent hit..".

        • Bea Lieberman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            I need to make a comment here.There are many dedicated and experienced
            teachers who CHOOSE to work in WCCUSD despite the low pay.for the
            students.Yes, it is true.Even though WCCUSD treats teachers like "..."
            there are those among us that wish to work with the children that live
            in this area.Don't assume that all the best teachers will automatically
            gravitate to higher paying districts...Perhaps we are fools.but please
            don't overlook the wonderful teachers who do stay.year after
            year..plugging away.It's rather insulting when you make the assumption
            that good teachers will automatically leave..Thanks.Bea

            wrote:

            > Referring to the below comment in Shirley Dang's article in the
            Times today. The year before the bankruptcy Dr. Marks gave the
            teachers an 8% pay increase. The next year he gave them a 9% pay
            increase. For a total of a 17% pay increase. What was rescinded
            during the bankruptcy was the second pay increase. But the teachers
            have kept the original 8% pay increase granted by Dr. Marks, in
            addition to any other pay increases that have been granted over the
            years. Dr. Marks' philosophy was to raise teacher pay to attract the
            best and the brightest to the district. That was the same philosophy
            that Dennis Chaconis had in Oakland. Please read the recent
            article, "Caustic Reformer."

            > But I would also like to say here that I think the rise in
            administrator salaries and benefits is reprehensible and they get all
            the same lifetime health benefits. So I believe this problem divides
            equally between the teachers, the administrators and the classified
            staff.

            > It looks to me like education will go down the drain before all the
            benefits; perks; and extras do for the people that run and staff our
            schools.

            > Rebecca
            >
            > "...Union leaders said teachers have already taken massive pay cuts
            in order to ensure lifetime benefits. For instance, when the district
            went bankrupt in 1991, teachers took a 9 percent hit..".

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ralphebedwell
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2005
              Bea,

              I didn't say that "all the best teachers will automatically gravitate
              to higher paying districts." However, SOME of the will definitely do
              so, and SOME talented newcomers who will eventually become great
              teachers will choose to start their careers elsewhere. If you lose
              SOME of the best here, and SOME of the best there, the net result is
              that MOST kids lose. Yes, SOME will stay, but not ALL.

              For example, I know a great teacher -- definitely among the best that
              I have been around -- who is choosing to leave our district at the
              end of the year for a neighboring district. Why? She will receive a
              $10,000 raise. Why is that important? She has two kids to support,
              and a mortgage. This decision does not make her any less dedicated
              to kids; she will be teaching just as many kids in her new job as she
              has been teaching here. They will get the benefit of her experience,
              expertise, and talent, not WCCUSD kids. As her credential is an area
              of scarcity, it is likely that she will be replaced by a newcomer,
              perhaps even someone without a full credential. I'm sure she is not
              the only one, and inevitably more will follow in the future.

              Rebecca is correct that not everyone who leaves a job does so because
              of the money. But SOME do, and that contributes to the overall brain
              drain that compromises our children's education.

              Ralph

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Bea Lieberman" <bilanalieb@c...>