Don Perata on education

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      Here's the message Marsha was trying to forward.
      Cathy
      Dear Friend:

      As a former classroom teacher, I recognize that our public schools are
      under-funded. As leader of the State Senate, I know that we must move
      beyond the "business as usual" budget debates that allow only for no-win
      choices between absolute necessities. We can not afford to pit funding
      education against providing health care for people with low-incomes any
      longer. We must raise taxes to pay for schools.

      I have been working with my colleagues on legislation to restore the
      highest quality public education in California. This year, a top goal of
      Democratic legislators is to increase per pupil funding in California by
      about $670, bringing our state up to the national average. We also aim to
      bring additional funding to schools most in need of support.

      I am authoring SB 1X, which would replace Average Daily Attendance with
      Average Monthly Enrollment as the primary funding formula as well as amend
      the formula to better support districts who serve students with greater
      needs, such as limited English skills or those with low-incomes.

      My colleagues have joined me in this effort by introducing these companion
      bills:

      SB 428 would reform block grant funding.

      SB 1053 would grant schools site decision making and allow schools to
      develop models to improve student achievement.

      SB 687 will help ensure that school officials, parents, and local
      communities have sufficient information about education resource allocation.

      SB 958 would protect schools that are losing funding due to declining
      student enrollment.

      SB 657 would provide significant new flexibility to local education
      agencies in choosing instructional materials that best meet the needs of
      their students.

      SB 517 would postpone school districts from withholding diplomas from
      students who fail the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) until the
      school district offers students the minimum conditions necessary for
      successfully passing the CAHSEE.

      SCA 8 would allow local school districts to approve a local parcel tax with
      a 55 percent majority rather than the two-thirds majority currently
      required, making it easier for school districts to raise funds.

      Please tell Governor Schwarzenegger you support our efforts to improve
      public education by visiting: www.govmail.ca.gov. As always, I value your
      input.

      DON PERATA