Re: [wccusdtalk] 5 years old arrest in school

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
      Scottie,
      Let me remind you that under Chief Bill Lansdowne, Richmond Chief a few years back, Richmond PD officers were stationed on Richmond and Kennedy campuses because of the violence. At that time Bill instituted truancy sweeps and got the kids off the street and back into school at the cost to the city. As I recall the students and the officers developed a relationships, but then again let's stereotype all cops as harsh, rough, tough, get in your face people. When we lived in Richmond for 13 years and Chris was crime prevention chairman for 7 years, we worked with the neighborhoods and the police to try and improve communication and crime in the city. That was when the neighborhood councils were born and crime actually diminished in the city. So if everyone is going to jump to the conclusion that every cop is bad and a bully, then I need to walk away from this conversation.
      Tammy Campbell

      rcs101@... wrote:

      --Hello all:

      I guess you saw or heard about the kindergartener who was arrested in Florida. I hope this is not the direction this district will be going in with its new policing policy in this district. I haven't had much time to read all the e-mails about this new "money saving" direction, but I would think there are other ways to save money, rather than cutting the jobs of some of our lowest paid, less benefits and a group of employee that are the first to give up money for the children.

      It seems strange to me that the new safety policy that would turn schools into a police campus is coming up now. I can remember when kids at Kennedy and Richmond high was dying and all kinds of violents was occurring, but the thought or talk about saftey was not a high priority, but now, schools will not only be a place where students can't learn, but where they will be taken of to jails. What's up with education.

      Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
      Pinole CARE
      Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
      Pinole Valley High School Boosters
      Pinole Middle School Site Council President
      Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
      2668 Alhambra Way
      Pinole, CA 94564
      Home: 510-223-3857
      Work: 510-486-4460
      Fax: 510-222-4643
      Pager: 510-425-3192
      Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

      Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
      Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
      Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
      Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
      Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...
      Pinole CARE: parents@...
      WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
    • Kathy Rollins
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
        Tammy:

        We all want the same thing for our schools. Safe and secure campuses for
        students, staff and community. However, many of us have valid life
        experiences that causes us to see things differently than the next person.

        I don't understand how some find it acceptable for the District (Board and
        Cabinet) to continue to do such a poor job of analyzing needs, facing
        problems and comprehensively responding to them. The sheriff's proposal is
        a good example. Clearly you have had been given information and lobbied but
        as a whole our school community has not. There was never any discussion and
        agreement on what we want to have, what it will cost and what are we willing
        to do without to get it. Everything is secret or never even addressed in
        writing. If Local One had not raised the issues we have, the study session
        would not be taking place, the decision would have been made and the safety
        issues would continue to go unaddressed due to a lack of an integrated,
        inclusive program to address them.

        It seems people hold our leaders and cabinet to such low standards that we
        do not expect them to make rationale, comprehensive plans to improve our
        district. We seem to have a pattern of throwing something at a problem,
        put it on someone else and pretend that now the problem will be properly
        solved.

        Why wouldn't the community budget committee or some others want to know what
        services, programs and sites will have less categorical money to serve
        students and schools to spend the millions to bring in 21 sheriff employees?

        Kathy Rollins
        krollins@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
          Kathy-

          Your point about assessing the budgetary implications through the
          Community Budget Advisory Committee would be great, but the next
          meeting isn't till May 25th. No one "in the know" about this seemed
          interested in bringing it up at the last CBAC meeting.

          Another point you make is how much of the development of this is
          subterranean. On its face this is a very strange proposal to be
          bringing up in a budget crisis year. There must be something more to
          this. Hopefully, more will surface tonight. As an outsider, I would
          certainly like to know.

          Just to give you an idea of how wacky this is, I've been asking Paul
          Ehara just for the electronic files (including the contract) from the
          last meeting about this issue (or to have them on the WCCUSD Web site)
          repeatedly since the last meeting. The result: nothing.

          Charley Cowens

          On 4/27/05, Kathy Rollins <krollins@...> wrote:

          > Tammy:
          >
          > We all want the same thing for our schools. Safe and secure campuses for
          > students, staff and community. However, many of us have valid life
          > experiences that causes us to see things differently than the next person.
          >
          > I don't understand how some find it acceptable for the District (Board and
          > Cabinet) to continue to do such a poor job of analyzing needs, facing
          > problems and comprehensively responding to them. The sheriff's proposal is
          > a good example. Clearly you have had been given information and lobbied but
          > as a whole our school community has not. There was never any discussion and
          > agreement on what we want to have, what it will cost and what are we willing
          > to do without to get it. Everything is secret or never even addressed in
          > writing. If Local One had not raised the issues we have, the study session
          > would not be taking place, the decision would have been made and the safety
          > issues would continue to go unaddressed due to a lack of an integrated,
          > inclusive program to address them.
          >
          > It seems people hold our leaders and cabinet to such low standards that we
          > do not expect them to make rationale, comprehensive plans to improve our
          > district. We seem to have a pattern of throwing something at a problem,
          > put it on someone else and pretend that now the problem will be properly
          > solved.
          >
          > Why wouldn't the community budget committee or some others want to know what
          > services, programs and sites will have less categorical money to serve
          > students and schools to spend the millions to bring in 21 sheriff employees?
          >
          > Kathy Rollins
          > krollins@...

        • Rebecca Hazlewood
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
            Tammy, I can't speak for Scottie, but I doubt that what she was saying is, "cops are harsh, rough, get in your face people..." I think she was trying to remind people of incidents when policing has not been seen as fairly applied in this school district. I can't get in the middle of this, because I am not a Richmond resident. But, I do believe that Scottie has to present the perceptions that she has on this issue. And it may be that people will in the end be divided on this issue, and as we all know, the district is going to do whatever it wants too anyway, without consideration of our input.

            Now I would like to say that I am totally willing to acknowledge that the Richmond PD has accomplished a lot in terms of police community relations. What you say about Neighborhood Councils really resonates with me. I see the Richmond PD, active and out in the community. From what I read and hear they have come a long way from the Richmond Cowboys of the old days.

            My question has been all along, what special training is the Sheriff's dept going to get in police-school site relations? No one from the district on this listserv has addressed this point yet. To me training is critical so that incidents like the one in Florida, with the 5 year old being handcuffed don't happen. Law enforcement personnel are not sworn in knowing how to relate to every community. They are human beings after all and they above all know that a good deal of their work is involved in efforts other than dealing with criminal activity, though of course that is a very important part of their mission. They used to call it order maintenance in old criminology classes. Don't know what they call it now.

            And, of course there are the other questions posed by Kathy Rollins in another posting. The district does need to anwer our questions and satisfy us. My question centers around training above and beyond what they have received to date. Who will pay for it and the prospectus of the training.

            Maybe third times the charm that I'll get an answer to my question on this issue from a board member or district employee, in the know.

            Rebecca

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
              I didn't get police-as-bullies from Scottie's posting. Interacting
              more directly with the police will lead to jail as a more likely
              outcome for students. Depending on your point of view, this may be a
              bad thing or a good thing, but it doesn't have to do necessarily with
              the personal characteristics of the police.

              Am I the only person on this list who thinks the real story with the
              5-year old is just how paralyzed with fear of litigation and attitudes
              staff and teachers are in dealing with discipline in school such that
              they feel compelled to call in the relatively more litigation-proof
              police to deal with discipline problems?

              Charley Cowens

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
                Charley: I think your posting is a very realistic, supposition about the district's motivation. The back story to this whole police issue could be the question of liability. After all the City of El Cerrito no longer has any swings in any of its playgrounds because of liability concerns.

                Rebecca

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
                  Right after posting this with my kvetching paragraph at the end, I
                  received an email from Paul Ehara that Vince Kilmartin had modified
                  some document (related to the policing issue) and sent it in today and
                  that would be posted.

                  For the record,
                  Charley Cowens

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Charley Cowens

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 28, 2005
                    --Tammy:

                    I did not say all police are bad, but I did say depending on who you are and what community you come from it does make a difference in the way one view the police or interact with them. Glen alluded to this same type of perception, when the issue about the military recruiters coming on school campuses came up. If it upset you to hear that some have a different perspective of the police, that is sad for you. But the fact that the police is perceive differently by different groups and communities is "researched based", therefore, the board has a responsibility to really look at this issues, not only in terms of cost, but the many other areas that could have an impact on the education of all students. This may upset some, but many believe that the school are preparing many students for jail, therefore, this new proposal of city police feeds right into this belief. So again, there should be community forums on this subject and not just in Pinole.

                    Scottie Smith

                    -------------- Original message from Rebecca Hazlewood <rah_tax@...>: --------------

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 29, 2005
                      Dear WCCUSDlist: I have given this matter a lot of thought, that of laying off all the Site Supervisors and contracting with the Contra Costa Sheriff's Dept and I have come to the conclusion that it is a bad idea. There just isn't any basis provided for the action and there are too many unanswered questions. My suggestion is that we leave things as they are for the coming school year and reopen the issue next school year and really expect some answers so that an informed decision can be made.

                      So I vote no to a contract with the Sheriff's Dept and this is not a slam against the Sheriff's Dept.

                      Rebecca

                    • alicat1967
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4, 2005
                        Ok in regards to police on the campuses.

                        First - may I say R.I.P. to Willie Calvin who was a truancy officer
                        at RHS for many years.
                        You didn't want to get caught cutting school by CALVIN not only
                        would you be in the dean's office, you would have to HEAR ABOUT IT
                        the next time you saw him. And the next time. And the next time.
                        You also heard from him if he saw you making it in your class
                        hitting your butt on that seat when the bell rang. Even a wave,
                        thumbs up, ENCOURAGEMENT.

                        We have MANY site supervisors that go ABOVE AND BEYOND every single
                        day for our kids keeping that connection that Willie Calvin had with
                        the kids back in my days at RHS. The facts are clear that our site
                        supervisors have never been given the training or recognition that
                        this HIGHLY IMPORTANT job deseves.
                        So we toss the idea aside and call in the sheriff??
                        Outsiders on our campuses?
                        With guns?
                        With the condition of our campuses at this current time and the way
                        the kids have pretty much taken over our schools, unless we see a
                        Willie Calvin approach to respecting our kids by not accepting
                        disrespect, this is a powderkeg waiting to explode if this decision
                        is approved.

                        The last kid I talked to about this on Friday, said they could not
                        wait to "f*ck with the cops coming to their school"

                        When I told my Dad about the proposal he was not surprised. He
                        said, "What do they expect with the crappy way that school looks -
                        kids out there doing whatever they want and parking that school
                        police car RIGHT IN FRONT of the school - diagonally - to show the
                        whole world how bad our kids are"

                        Its past time to expect the best from our kids
                        and our community members!
                        And its past time to expect the best from the school board members.
                        Many of them elected because they went out to the community and
                        addressed concerns like safety.

                        SITE SUPEVISION DUTY should be mandatory for ALL BOARD MEMBERS who
                        have this VERY IMPORTANT DECISION TO MAKE.
                        BEFORE SCHOOL - WATCH THE KIDS LEAVE INSTEAD OF GO THROUGH THE DOORS
                        LUNCHTIME - OUR SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED CAMPUSES. TRY TELLING A FEW OF
                        OUR KIDS THAT AND SEE WHAT KIND OF RESULTS YOU GET.
                        WALK THE HALLS WITH THE SITE SUPERVISOR
                        We know you all have other jobs, 30 minutes from each of you would
                        be plenty. Go take a look at the School Site Safety Plan.
                        (NO not the plan about terrorism). Find out where the site
                        supervisors fit into the school site safety plan
                        (if they even have one)
                        Board - MAKE A WELL THOUGHT OUT DECISION ON THIS.

                        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, rcs101@a... wrote:

> [...]
                        read all the
                        > > e-mails about this new "money saving" direction, but I would
                        think there are
                        > > other ways to save money, rather than cutting the jobs of some
                        of our lowest
                        > > paid, less benefits and a group of employee that are the first
                        to give up money
                        > > for the children.
                        > > >
                        > > > It seems strange to me that the new safety policy that would
                        turn schools into
                        > > a police campus is coming up now. I can remember when kids at
                        Kennedy and
                        > > Richmond high was dying and all kinds of violents was occurring,
                        but the thought
                        > > or talk about saftey was not a high priority, but now, schools
                        will not only be
                        > > a place where students can't learn, but where they will be taken

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 16, 2005
                          Scottie,
                          Have you forgotten that I lived in Richmond for 13 years and many of those years worked in the community and pushed to support better community communication and community policing. My husband was crime prevention chairman for 7 years. I understand the different perspectives on how communities view law enforcement. I am not ignorant or blind to the issues. What I find unfortunate is that we are not willing to move toward a direction where open dialog between students and law enforcement can take place. And yes the board must take the responsibility to hear all sides from all communities not just Pinole. All I know is I am not waiting for someone to have yet another meeting to decide that we cannot do something right now. We have identified a good portion of the issues at Pinole, now we need to look for the right resources to bring in and support these kids. We need to begin to build a team at that school. It is time for action. We all talk about sites being the responsible
                          decision making bodies. Let our site move forward, build that counseling center, and get the discipline back into the school.
                          Tammy

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 17, 2005
                            Is someone going to go talk to the kids about this issue before a
                            decision is made? Does anyone care what THEY think about the
                            sheirff conming in and taking over security?

                            I have alot of feelings about this but what keeps coming back to me
                            is that the real experts are the kids and every single time, we seem
                            to skip over what they think and argue and finger point at each
                            other while the district scoots another decision through behind our
                            backs.

                            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
                            <tammeracampbell@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                            read all the
                            > > e-mails about this new "money saving" direction, but I would
                            think there are
                            > > other ways to save money, rather than cutting the jobs of some
                            of our lowest
                            > > paid, less benefits and a group of employee that are the first
                            to give up money
                            > > for the children.
                            > > >
                            > > > It seems strange to me that the new safety policy that would
                            turn schools into
                            > > a police campus is coming up now. I can remember when kids at
                            Kennedy and
                            > > Richmond high was dying and all kinds of violents was occurring,
                            but the thought
                            > > or talk about saftey was not a high priority, but now, schools
                            will not only be
                            > > a place where students can't learn, but where they will be taken

                            Service.