Re: [March4Education] Follow up the the NCLB Study Session

  • Diamel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
      Hi All

      First, I want to thank Elizabeth Jaeger for her graphic overview that
      compared each PI 4 Restructuring Plan. It was very helpful in processing all the
      information that was presented at the study session. Secondly, I want to thank
      Mike for keeping the district school board members focused in the letter he
      wrote.

      Since the study session I have been reviewing comments. I have to point out
      that Roberto makes a very important observation. He put forth a couple of
      valid questions: "What happens under the UTR plan if there is a labor dispute?
      Who makes the decisions at the school site if the oversight group is stacked
      with UTR and they are out on strike?"...

      This is something that needs to be considered under the UTR Plan. In our
      small group discussion, I asked Lily Hickman if our contract was in conflict
      with the UTR Plan? She said, "NO.

      " What UTR needs to consider is not the issue of the contract being
      conflict, but the question is: Were we waving our contractual rights? SUCH AS : Hours
      of employment, (with pay) increased work load, and yearly teacher
      evaluations (tenured teachers are evaluated every two years) Is extra money worth
      waving our contract?

      Someone of you pointed out that extending the day may or may not be the best
      way to address the achievement gap. I'm not totally committed to any one
      plan. I agree with Mike that there needs to be more discussion. We must proceed
      cautiously Each school must play a major role in the restructuring of their
      schools. I also agree their should be radical change. I would like to have
      the luxury of teaching a rich, creative, balanced curriculum. Thank all of you
      for your thought provoking comments and ideas.

      Diane Brown

    • Glen Price
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005

        --