Open Court

  • Raquella Thaman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
      Hi.

      I want to put out a feeler.

      How many classrooms have not actually been provided with the books needed to properly implement Open Court? Fidelity to these programs is hammered in but how is that possible WITHOUT THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just learned that K classes at Mira Vista haven't been given the books to g with the program andteachers are scrambling to find them where they can.

      All other objections to the program aside, it really wont work WITHOUT THE BOOKS!

      Sorry, I'm a little bit shocked.

      Raquella

    • Diamel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
        Raquella you should ask this question to the _opencourtdiscussion@..._
        (mailto:opencourtdiscussion@...)

        Diane

      • sydney gray
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2004
          Hi:
          Just a quick note. There have been many e-mails and notifications sent to the schools that any materials that the schools need should be addressed to the Textbook person in Purchasing and from there, availability of items is checked into at the stores warehouse and if they are available, the order will be filled and sent to the site. Ordering templates have also been sent to each site principal so that materials can be ordered directly from the vendor if they need to be. This process has been outlined clearly this school year.

          Thank you

          Raquella Thaman <rthaman@...> wrote:
          Hi.

          I want to put out a feeler.

          How many classrooms have not actually been provided with the books needed to properly implement Open Court? Fidelity to these programs is hammered in but how is that possible WITHOUT THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just learned that K classes at Mira Vista haven't been given the books to g with the program andteachers are scrambling to find them where they can.

          All other objections to the program aside, it really wont work WITHOUT THE BOOKS!

          Sorry, I'm a little bit shocked.

          Raquella

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Raquella Thaman
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
            Thank you,

            I'll see what has been done. From what I've heard, these avenues have been tried, but I'll check again. It shouldn't be a problem if it is this simple.

            Thanks,

            Raquella

            sydney gray <sydn2u@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Jennifer E. Felix
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
              I have been reading alot about the Open Court curriculum and it
              reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had. He was one of
              the first graduates that was part of the "whole language" English
              curriculum. I, on the other hand, am from another state that stuck
              with phonics. I love to read anything and everything. He, on the
              other hand, only reads when absolutely necessary. I am an excellent
              speller and prolific writer. His spelling is not very good and he
              only writes when necessary. See the difference. Good old fashioned
              phonics and language arts training appear, at least in my
              experience, to be the most effective and least time consuming
              teaching methods for our kids and teachers. I see no reason to
              throw away huge amounts of money at consultants when just a little
              research and real communication with our teachers is the answer. My
              uncle is the head of the science dept. at the College of Education
              in New Zealand. He once told me that to pay a consultant with a
              masters or phd in science to tell him how to run his dept. was a
              waste of money and his education. As far as he and the education
              dept. of his college are concerned, that is what his phd is for.
              Just my little opinion on some of the issues I've seen brought up.
              But then again I am leaving the state so I guess my opinion will
              matter even less than it ever did in this district.

              Jen