Important news about Redistricting hearings

  • Marsha Williamson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      Congratulations to board members Price and Ramsey for requesting
      information to be reviewed by the board in advance of the public
      hearings.
      Please not date change for Redistricting Hearings.
      Marsha Williamson

      APPLE BITE
      News from the West Contra Costa Unified School District
      1108 Bissell Ave. * Richmond, CA 94801-3135 * (510) 234-3825
      www.wccusd.k12.ca.us

      For release Thursday, October 7, 2004 or thereafter * No. 0405-11
      Contact: Paul Ehara (510) 620-2246

      Board sets study session on redistricting for November 4; will
      reschedule public hearings

      Superintendent Gloria Johnston announced today that the Board of
      Education has scheduled a special study session on redistricting for
      November 4, 2004 and has postponed the public hearings on
      redistricting
      originally scheduled for October 13 and October 27.

      "After reviewing the October 13 meeting agenda, Board President
      Charles
      Ramsey, Clerk of the Board Glen Price and I decided that it would
      be
      both wise and imperative for the entire board to obtain the
      necessary
      scope and depth of information on redistricting prior to the public
      hearings," Dr. Johnston said. "We have scheduled a board study
      session
      for November 4 in order for the board to devote the time it will need
      engage in an in-depth discussion on the implications of this critical
      issue for our students, families, and staff," Dr. Johnston said.

      The public hearings on redistricting originally set for October 13 and
      27 will be rescheduled and held after the November 4 study
      session; the
      new dates will be announced as soon as they are set.

      The board study session on redistricting will begin at 6:30 on
      Thursday,
      November 4, 2004 and take place in the El Cerrito High School
      Cafeteria.

      The regularly-scheduled board meetings on October 13 at Pinole
      Valley
      High School and October 27 at El Cerrito High School will return to
      the
      usual board meeting location, Lovonya DeJean Middle School in
      Richmond.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
        --Marsha:

        It's about time, don't you think. How many years did it take for them to recognize that one should have time to review material, before voting on it. Think of all the votes that have gone down without adequate information and review. The public have been asking for this for a long long time, so I guess they finally took notice, but I hope its not a one time thing.
        Scottie Smith

        -------------- Original message from Marsha Williamson : --------------

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
          Scottie, Scottie, Scottie,

          Haven't you got it through your head yet (couldn't resist, sorry) this is
          not a matter of reviewing material. All the material that will be looked at
          is at least a year old. The recommendations that staff is going to make are
          the same recommendations they had made a year ago behind closed doors when
          they cut out the parents from the redistricting process and went internal
          with just staff and district personnel.

          The Parent Committee was simply a cover to be used if it fulfilled the
          districts wishes so the parents recommendations would be used instead of
          staffs. Now that the this group of parents did not follow the districts
          directives the presentation has to wait until after the election.

          I have no doubt that had the Parent Redistricting Committee recommended,
          Seaview, El Sobrante, Olinda, Fairmont closures the schedule would have been
          kept. Vince Kilmartin at the public meeting said everything that was in the
          paper the other day there is no need to delay the staff recommendations.

          But really Scottie, I can believe the general public buying this new age
          lets listen to the public line from the Board but I really find it hard to
          believe you would join hands and sing CUMBYYA unless it is with tongue in
          cheek.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
            --Kevin:

            Read me carefully, I said "its about time, unless it's a one time thing". No, I have not gone over the edge yet, I know as has been past practices, when an election is near or a particular vote needed, they open the doors and throw out a few bones to get community support. My major position has always been, "the dog bits you the first time, it's the dog fault," the next time he bits you, it's your fault". I try not to be bitten twice, so I watch and see what he will do next.

            Scottie Smith

            -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" : --------------