Cancelled public Meetings

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
      Here is my cynical side again.

      Anyone who has any common sense would realize one hour is not long enough to
      discuss such a politically loaded subject as school closings. When the
      Parent Committee for Redistricting discussed how to present this to the
      public we had suggested meeting in three areas of the district as separate
      meetings from any other subject.

      It was the district who came up with the idea of adding school closures as a
      one hour subject to the Board Meetings. This suggestion was never brought
      forward in that form to the Parent Committee. The first time I heard of the
      idea was at the Board meeting two days after our meeting.

      Then the District tried in vain to get the Committee to vote for at least
      one school closure in the El Sobrante Valley. That was the same night a vote
      was taken to rescind the closure of Seaview.

      IN MY OPINION, having no cover to hide behind, meaning the committee
      refusing to take a vote for closure of any more schools after months of
      deliberation the district felt it could not approach the public without the
      backing of a community parent committee and thus decided to wait until after
      the election to present its case for closure. This would have been a very
      hot topic in the debates prior to the election for any candidate, incumbant
      or challenger, and thus IN MY OPINION, the district decided to take it off
      the table so to speak. So to those that go to the debates it is incumbant
      upon you to keep this topic alive if it is important to you as how you might
      vote on November 2.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
        --Well Kevin, I may as well join your side. My question is why give the parents and students at many of the overcrowed Richmond and San Pablo the opportunity to transfer to the under-enrolled schools like Orinda, El Sobrante and Seaview. This could be achieved under the NCLB provision of Choice and the transportation cost would come out of the Title I monies as they do for the supplementary service providers, i.e. Sylvia, and the many others. This would be another way to balance the district racially and economically. It would also give parents an opportunity to learn and take part with more vocal parent groups and take the strategies back to their communities to share. This would also break down the size of many large elementary schools in the Richmond-San Pablo areas.

        I believe this would be a good thing for all involved and the monies would not have to come from the general fund for transportation. With the possible closures of 3 schools, the district now has an opportunity to reduce the size of many large elementary schools and utilize the phrase, "highly qualified teachers, and providing choice" for all students.

        What's wrong with my dream? Is this a district united or divided by itself.

        Scottie Smith

        -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" : --------------

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004