Re: [March4Education] Lack of Security at Pinole Valley High:SITE SUPERVISION

  • Alicia
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi All,

      I have been trying to get a response from Mr. Del Simone on truancy issues in general for a month. I even shared with him the information about businesses in the shopping center there (Albertsons) who allow the kids to enter the store during school hours, let them hang out in the shopping center, and EVERYONE down there is FULLY AWARE kids go and leave the campus, go hang out behind that shopping center, come back to school. Pretty much a revolving door.

      In fact I was told by a parent of a PVHS student that the security there on the campus will tell you their job is to ensure OTHER STUDENTS FROM OTHER SCHOOLS do not go on the campuses. These security officers know all about the creek hang out areas behind that shopping center and say it is NOT THEIR JOB to patrol that area. OK, so if that is NOT their job, fine I understand that COMPLETLEY, they need to be on the campus.

      BUT WHOS JOB IS IT TO BACK UP OUR TEACHERS AND KEEP OUR KIDS SAFE IN THE CLASSROOMS AND ON THE CAMPUSES?

      It is simply UNACCEPTABLE that we can not use these officers to respond to these ESCALATING VIOLENT situations on the campuses and NOW in the classrooms that are beginning to be brought to light. Thank you to the parent who spoke up.

      BOARD MEMBERS - STEP UP. Please do not tell us the money is not there.
      Mr. Cohen - You are the Regional Superintendent over these schools where safety has now become an EVERYDAY discussion about how our children AND TEACHERS do not feel safe. Are you willing to do what it takes to come up with some ways to get a PLAN IN PLACE to prevent further incidents like this from happening? STEP UP and go down to the schools. Start with PVHS. Volunteer ONE DAY as a SCHOOL SITE SUPERVISOR. Take notes, see if some kids can talk to you. Get the security officers
      to show you this area behind the shopping center, go talk to the businesses in that center to get an idea on just how laxed safety and keeping our kids on campus in class has become. I will volunteer to help you Mr. Cohen, as Im sure others would be too.

      We know the money is funny, but kids and teachers NOT BEING SAFE on our school campuses is NO LAUGHING MATTER.
      Alicia Pohl

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
        Alicia,

        The district is down $7 million at least for next year and if they have to
        start putting $10 million a year away for the lifetime medical benefits on
        top of the yearly cost of those benefits and the School Closing Committee,
        MY WORDS PEOPLE, doesn't come up with ten schools to close for the 2005-06
        school year the district is going to have to go out for another parcel tax
        to cover the deficit.

        Then you have the assumption, MY ASSUMPTION PEOPLE, that there is not going
        to be enough money to complete all the building projects and in 2006 the
        district is going to have to go out for another Building Bond to complete
        those projects currently planned the double whammy is coming in 05-06 so the
        district has to do like they did for the Measure B campaign and draw a dire
        picture so the community will roll over and vote more taxes in.

        What better way than safety. They already played the Sports, Counselor and
        Music card, now they have to come up with a Trump card, and I'm not talking
        Donald here.

        If you were working in a place where every day you were threatened, had no
        toilet paper, hot water or soap in the bathrooms, fights outside your office
        and management that sometimes locked you out of your work space how long
        would you work for that company. Especially when 2/3rds of the product did
        not meet the minimum standards. Yet, that is what we force our kids into
        every day of their school year and this community accepts that.

        If I did not supply my child with toilet paper, hot water, soap and locked
        her out of the house how long before Child Protective Services would be
        called. In fact the same schools that are doing this to our children are
        required to report such neglect to the authorities who are then required to
        act in the childs best interest. Think about what we are allowing to go on
        and the fact we have no one in the County, State or Federal Educational
        systems to turn too, and the children are forced to endure.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
          So as we all state that there is a discipline problem
          in our schools, does anyone have a solution?

          More site supervisors would be a good start, but you
          need to ask yourselves, why are these kids not held
          accountable for their behavior? Too many times I hear
          parents say it is not my kid, well folks it is our
          kids. Everyone is accountable in this situation and I
          for one will take on that responsbility and come up
          with the following suggestions,

          1. Zero tolerance on discipline issues all the way
          through K-12. There has to be consequences to your
          actions.

          2. Better classroom management and training for
          teachers. Give them the tools to succeed.

          3. More parent involvement. Gee I wish I could make
          it mandatory for parents to participate in their
          children's lives. Remember they spend 1/3-1/4 of
          their time at school. Why aren't we there with them?
          Why don't we help out in the evenings?

          4. Fulfill Keri Noyce's (PVHS counselor) vision of
          having a full fledged counseling center at PVHS with
          support from the kids, parents, faculty and community.
          The site council has backed this concept and the
          first steps of getting it off the ground are happening
          now. This counseling center would give the kids a
          place to go and talk and get some help because frankly
          too many parents have left their children behind.

          5. Connect your local city's youth programs with the
          counselors at the middle and high schools. Promote a
          relationship between the schools and city and work
          together to take care of our kids.

          6. More after school programs. Pinole Middle has a
          program with the help of the Ed Fund and the city of
          Pinole. PVHS has the student art gallery for our high
          school kids backed by the Arts Foundation.

          7. Uniforms - Frankly if the kids cannot keep
          themselves in check, guess what, we parents may just
          have to impress on them that if they don't
          self-discipline, uniforms are on the way. For me I
          would like to see it in the Pinole area - all feeder
          schools to PVHS will comply. And don't anyone give me
          the line of financial hardship. Buying FUBU, Nike,
          etc. is more expensive than buying khaki pants and a
          white shirt.

          8. Joint effort between the local police agencies and
          schools. Unfortunately our school police do not have
          the resources to address all 53 schools in this
          district. The police chiefs (the professionals in
          this field) in our surrounding cities provided an
          analysis and plan on how to improve and tackle the
          issue, but did anyone listen - NO!!!!! And don't just
          blame downtown, the union had something to do with it
          also.

          9. If you are a student who does not reside in the
          area of residency and you become a discipline problem
          and then further compound that problem by fighting,
          good-bye! You have now lost the right to remain at
          that school. That is the consequence to your
          behavior.

          And just to let you all know, I asked my son if he
          fears going to school. He said no. And then he asked
          me a question, didn't you have fights in school when
          you went to school mom?

          Tammy

          <joanne@...>,<glen@...>,"Patricia
> [...]
          > >phillawson2@... ; janleighton@... ;
          > gailmendes@... ;
          > >Playeredu@... ; glen@... ;
          > joanne@...
          > > Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 10:08 AM
          > > Subject: [March4Education] Lack of Security at
          > Pinole Valley High:SITE
          > >SUPERVISION
          > >

          > > Hi All,
          > > I have been told that there is only one site
          > supervisor for the entire
          > >Hercules Middle School site.
          > > I spoke with an adult who has worked on that
          > campus and she said she
          > >will not send her kids there because it isn't safe.
          > There are regular
          > >fights. Some kids don't want to walk there because
          > they are afraid of
          > >getting "jumped". Our district loses more money
          > because people pull their
          > >kids out of the public schools. When will our Board

          === message truncated ===

          http://vote.yahoo.com