Re: [wccusdtalk] Times Article

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      Well Scottie, just look at the response from Paul Ehara and the Principals
      from El Sobrante Elementary School in the article below and that answers why
      we have the problems we do.

      The district is not listening to or validating the concerns of the parents.
      A long term sub is not what the parents want or what is needed but that is
      what the district is willing to settle for. Elementary students should never
      be locked out of class but this district accepts that behavior from the site
      administrators. Parents if united could end this behavior by holding out the
      majority of the students but if only a minority find this behavior
      unacceptable then the district will see no reason to change.

      Read the post sent by Sarah about Pinole Valley High. Richmond High had an
      "incident" where some faculty were assaulted while breaking up a commotion.
      When there is a death or a catastrophic injury that makes the evening news
      then something might and I stress might be done. But as long as the parents
      allow this behavior and the district can keep this type of administrative
      leadership under the radar screen of the general public all is well as far
      as the district goes.

      Besides where else can you get free babysitting services like those offered
      by this district, and just think for you pregnant moms and those with
      friends who have toddlers soon to be 3 years of age, soon near one of these
      fine school campuses near your home you will be able to drop off your 3 and
      4 year olds at a free pre-school offered by these same wonderful
      institutions where they will be allowed to learn these same types of
      behavior.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
        Kevin,
        Thanks for posting that article. I intended to when I posted the one about
        NCLB but had to leave for soccer.... Maybe I'm missing something here, but
        didn't we just lay off teachers - oh, I mis-spoke, we "reconfigured
        classes" which resulted in losing some teachers. We lost a fantastic
        teacher from Kensington who, having been treated with nothing but
        disrespect from the district, chose to find a job elsewhere. Same thing
        happened at Valley View and elsewhere. I would have thought that one of
        those elementary teachers could have been offered the job at El Sobrante,
        but then, what do I know?
        Cathy

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
          OK, I just found out that the teachers who had been laid off were indeed
          offered positions such as the one at El Sobrante so I take retract my
          other districts where they are appreciated and respected.
          Cathy