Lack of Security at Pinole Valley High:SITE SUPERVISION

  • SarahCreeley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi All,
      I have been told that there is only one site supervisor for the entire
      Hercules Middle School site.
      I spoke with an adult who has worked on that campus and she said she will not
      send her kids there because it isn't safe. There are regular fights. Some
      kids don't want to walk there because they are afraid of getting "jumped". Our
      district loses more money because people pull their kids out of the public
      schools. When will our Board members and Superintendent start putting money into
      school site safety? We have been talking about this for months, and judging from
      a School Board meeting I went to, the North Campus community has been talking
      about it for years! We need to fix this!!! NOW!
      LOVE,
      Sarah

      In a message dated 10/1/2004 9:28:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      lori.berry@... writes:

      > FYI--this bears directly on the lack of site supervisors/safety issue.
      > ----- Forwarded by Lori S. Berry/CreativeServices/ESP/EYLLP/US on 10/01/2004
      > 09:25 AM -----
      > "Concerned Parents" <Parents@...> 10/01/2004 08:01 AM

      Jen Felix wrote:

      Lori:

      Why am I not surprised at such a letter.  Because I had an extended
      year special ed student disappear for two hours from a "Closed
      Campus" summer school session.  No one even knew she was off
      campus!  I see it every morning I drop her off.  It is 8 am and
      students are walking in groups AWAY from the campus!  Just this
      morning 4 girls were walking past a Richmond police officer parked
      at a firestation obviously not walking towards the school, but away
      from it.  He never even looked their way, let alone sent them back
      to school.  The Richmond police will ticket you for parking in the
      bus zone but when the student who was seen lighting a trash can on
      fire was reported to be at a pizza shop one block away they never
      came to look for him.  I can only forsee these situations getting
      worse!  At least school's like Pinole, Richmond and Kennedy have
      definite law enforcement offices they can contact.  When my son had
      an issue at Crespi and my daughter at DeAnza, because they are in
      unicorporated areas, I felt like I was being palmed off to different
      offices.  I called Richmond first, they say unincorporated areas are
      covered by the CHP.  The CHP in turn informed me it was the
      Sheriff's Dept. jurisdiction.  I can feel for Ms. Wilke and her
      child and will keep them and our other students in my prayers!

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        Sarah,
        It is easy to blame everything on the lack of site
        supervisors. Yes we need to fix this, but ultimately
        it is the behavior of the kids and the fact that we do
        not hold them accountable. We do not have a plan in
        place for discipline in this district, a plan that
        encompasses all that we need. We need to get our act
        together, develop a real plan with all the support
        functions (this costs money), and stick to it.
        Unfortunately we have parents who threaten lawsuits
        and the district backs down. For once, I wish all
        people would put the welfare of the kids first.
        Tammy

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail