Times Article

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      Parents pull their kids from school over teacher

      By Shirley Dang

      CONTRA COSTA TIMES

      EL SOBRANTE - Cynthia Herron thought her son DeMonte was exaggerating when
      he said his class had no regular teacher.

      But after talking with other parents of El Sobrante Elementary School
      fourth-graders, Herron heard stories of students locked out of class,
      waiting for a substitute teacher to show. And at an open house Sept. 23, a
      month into school, the temporary teacher couldn't answer basic questions
      about her 9-year-old's performance because she was so new, Herron said.

      "I don't need a baby-sitter for my son," said Herron. "He has a right and a
      privilege to the best education possible."

      Late last week, Herron was one of a small group of parents who yanked their
      children out of class in a boycott, excusing their children in a mass "sick
      out." The parents hope depriving the West Contra Costa school district of
      daily student attendance, the largest basis for district income, will force
      administrators to appoint a steady teacher quickly.

      "We pay taxes. That's not a lot to ask for," Herron said. "It can't be one
      day he has a teacher, another day he doesn't."

      In a letter to parents dated Sept. 29, temporary principals Mimi Abegglen
      and Jewell Boutee wrote that a permanent teacher will begin Oct. 11.

      "I believe the district is working on at least finding a long-term
      substitute," said Paul Ehara, district spokesman.

      A retired El Sobrante teacher currently runs the class. She will remain
      there for a few days after Oct. 11 to help the next teacher adjust, the
      principals wrote.

      Ehara refused to release why the class's original teacher left, citing
      confidentiality of personnel matters.

      In order to replace that teacher permanently, the district must follow union
      guidelines, the letter states -- one reason for a hiring delay.

      In the meantime, the two principals urged the parents to return their
      children to school, noting in their letter that their absence damages their
      own education.

      "Please know that although we will lose ADA (funding) for the students that
      do not show up, the impact of those funds will not compare to the impact on
      your children if they are not in school," the letter says. "This is
      especially true given that they do have a competent teacher in the
      classroom."

      Herron said she spent Thursday and Friday giving DeMonte the education he
      should be receiving at school.

      He writes sentences using spelling words such as "dynamite," "flight" and
      "style." He reads "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson for 30 minutes
      a day, after which he must outline the main ideas. He multiplies numbers in
      the hundreds, and practices division.

      Herron may return her son to school this week, she said. However, she is
      looking into transferring both her children as a long-term solution.

      "I can't afford to see what develops on Oct. 11," she said. "If something's
      not in place, what then?"

      Reach Shirley Dang at 510-262-2798 or sdang@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
        --Thanks Kevin for the article, I read it and was wondering why they can not find a qualified teacher for the class when they are laying off teachers at Wilson etc. What's your take?

        Scottie Smith

        -------------- Original message from "Kevin Rivard" : --------------

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
          Well Scottie, just look at the response from Paul Ehara and the Principals
          from El Sobrante Elementary School in the article below and that answers why
          we have the problems we do.

          The district is not listening to or validating the concerns of the parents.
          A long term sub is not what the parents want or what is needed but that is
          what the district is willing to settle for. Elementary students should never
          be locked out of class but this district accepts that behavior from the site
          administrators. Parents if united could end this behavior by holding out the
          majority of the students but if only a minority find this behavior
          unacceptable then the district will see no reason to change.

          Read the post sent by Sarah about Pinole Valley High. Richmond High had an
          "incident" where some faculty were assaulted while breaking up a commotion.
          When there is a death or a catastrophic injury that makes the evening news
          then something might and I stress might be done. But as long as the parents
          allow this behavior and the district can keep this type of administrative
          leadership under the radar screen of the general public all is well as far
          as the district goes.

          Besides where else can you get free babysitting services like those offered
          by this district, and just think for you pregnant moms and those with
          friends who have toddlers soon to be 3 years of age, soon near one of these
          fine school campuses near your home you will be able to drop off your 3 and
          4 year olds at a free pre-school offered by these same wonderful
          institutions where they will be allowed to learn these same types of
          behavior.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
            Kevin,
            Thanks for posting that article. I intended to when I posted the one about
            NCLB but had to leave for soccer.... Maybe I'm missing something here, but
            didn't we just lay off teachers - oh, I mis-spoke, we "reconfigured
            classes" which resulted in losing some teachers. We lost a fantastic
            teacher from Kensington who, having been treated with nothing but
            disrespect from the district, chose to find a job elsewhere. Same thing
            happened at Valley View and elsewhere. I would have thought that one of
            those elementary teachers could have been offered the job at El Sobrante,
            but then, what do I know?
            Cathy

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
              OK, I just found out that the teachers who had been laid off were indeed
              offered positions such as the one at El Sobrante so I take retract my
              other districts where they are appreciated and respected.
              Cathy