Re: [WCCUSD Budget Oversight] Re: [March4Education] Re: [wccusdtalk] Budget seminar

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      Scottie,
      We need to hear now from our school board members.

      School Board, isn't it about time we do this?
      Tammy

      rcs101@... wrote:

      --Tammy:

      I am sure arrangement can be made to get Ms. Cox to present again, but I am putting this ball in you, Diana and Marsha's hands to work out the detail. As I said before the presentation was great and many others have expressed an interest in having it done again. You all can work out the details.

      Scottie Smith

      -------------- Original message from Tammera Campbell : --------------

      Well, I have had many conversations with several people since last night and they all feel that this budget meeting is a great idea. I feel confident that the city of Pinole would back this event and even televise it for us. If we are to move forward in this district it is time to open up the books and understand them once and for all. We need to have a meeting of the minds. If we are not willing to do this, then we surely have something to hide.

      School board members, are you willing to do this? This would be the opportunity to bring the public in and be proactive for once. This would be one step toward gaining people's trust. We've got union negotiations coming up, we have been dumping categorical funding into the general fund for the last couple of years to balance the budget, we have a declining population, etc. We've got to do something now rather than later. This is not to attack the district, but to help us understand it better. Make this an opportunity for the good of the kids.
      Tammy

      Tammera Campbell <tammeracampbell@...> wrote:
      Scottie,
      As I said in an email to Marsha, the only way we are ever going to truly get passed this stalemate on the budget is to get Ms. Cox and Ms. Vedovelli in the same room with us in the audience and televise it to boot. We need to hear from both sides on understanding the budget. Having one presentation from one camp and having another presentation from the other camp, does not answer the questions that come to mind. This would be opening up the budget process to the public. We hear people complain and moan about money, well here's our opportunity to get a balanced presentation. And if this district really did do this, it would be a first. Communication and understanding have always been the goal, if we walk away from an opportunity such as this, then we really don't want to fix the problem, we just want to continue to complain and moan. Can we make this happen?
      Tammy

      rcs101@... wrote:

      --For all of you that are interested in how the state finance education and the amount of monies that WCCUDS get and how it is allocated, you missed a great seminar by Pat Cocks, budget analyst. The many questions about ADA, categorical funds and general funds were answered yesterday. We went line by line through the District's budget and as would be expected some very important information came forth. Every member of the school board and any one interested in become a member of the school board should have attended her seminar or should request training from her. She gave you the facts and you could make your own conclusions.

      All of you that have asked the question about categorical funds and what happens to unspent funds would have received a information that you know but was afraid to really know. All of the grants and funds that board members are told that they don't need to see a budget for, well we covered them yesterday and it is clear why they don't need to see the budgets.

      Thanks to AFT for an informative seminar, Pat Cocks is available for any group to go over the budget in a way that you can understand.

      Scottie Smith

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links