Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: school board meeting, 9/22/2004, 6:30 pm

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
      Charley,
      I only attended through consent calendar. Many speakers spoke on the issue of consolidation of campuses, the layoff of elementary school teachers and the disruption of classes - specifically the chaos created at Valley View, construction and the pitfalls, and the need for more site supervision at the secondary campuses. Consent calendar was passed.
      Tammy Campbell

      c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote:
      I had to work late and missed the Board meeting. Would anyone like to
      offer a brief synopsis of what happened. What were the main emphases
      under Public Comment?

      Thanks,
      Charley Cowens

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Reminder from the Calendar of wccusdtalk
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wccusdtalk/cal
      >
      > school board meeting
      > Wednesday September 22, 2004
      > 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
      > (This event does not repeat.)
      >
      > Send a Yahoo! Greeting at:
      > http://greetings.yahoo.com
      >
      > Set up birthday reminders!

      > Copyright 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved.
      > http://www.yahoo.com
      >
      > Privacy Policy:
      > http://privacy.yahoo.com/
      >
      > Terms of Service:
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Alicia Pohl
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
        Charley,
        Also...........this was the meeting where AYP and API - the differences and the similarities (dribble from agenda).

        Our APIs for the schools were available but AYPs we got one of those "presentations" that unfortunatley, I had to leave through for two reasons:
        This "important student achievement" information gets shoved to the end of the night being that there were 25 public speakers and President Ramsey gave them the full 3 minutes to speak. My 4 year old was darn good for most of the night, but he (as well as I) were tired of sitting there. I HAVE YET to make it through an entire board meeting.

        Per Superintendent Johnston, it was a "shame" that the audience left before this presentation was done
        .
        Shame on President Ramsey.
        And SHAME that something so important is shoved to the end of the LONG night.

        At this time, most of the attendees representing Valley View were in the back room talking with Burnside. Ramsey had LEFT THE MEETING and Price had taken over at that time and asked that the Superintendent speak with these parents.

        Also, there was talk about more training for teachers (Per H Cohen, they may even have to use their weekends) for an item I want more info on:
        9/22/04 Agenda Item
        Business Items
        (Consent, of course)
        CI E.1 Contract for professional services.

        When questioned about this, Mr. Cohen got quite cranky with Pat Player. Its something to do with English learners and teaching, but still I am very unclear. Instructional material comes with this, its a training model program of
        some sorts. Karen Frison knew about this too. There was talk of a grant of some sort, and that 14 schools would be involved.

        Tara Hills was represented and spoke on the incompetence of their move to portables. Kilimartin promised air testing after hearing of a fire under one of the portables.

        On a happier note, we welcomed student rep Claudia Garcia from Richmond High School. She brought out at least 8 other youths and spoke very strongly. Unfortunatley, it looks like shes only there for THREE BOARD MEETINGS? When I brought this up, Price assured us that we would have more student representation. I thought our last student rep stayed the whole year.

        Oh, and the funny moment of the night is when someone challenged the administrators to do ONE DAY of Site Supervision.

        The room got very quiet and the stone faces even stonier.

        Alicia Pohl

        c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote:
        I had to work late and missed the Board meeting. Would anyone like to
        offer a brief synopsis of what happened. What were the main emphases
        under Public Comment?

        Thanks,
        Charley Cowens

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Reminder from the Calendar of wccusdtalk
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wccusdtalk/cal
        >
        > school board meeting
        > Wednesday September 22, 2004
        > 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
        > (This event does not repeat.)
        >
        > Send a Yahoo! Greeting at:
        > http://greetings.yahoo.com
        >
        > Set up birthday reminders!

        > Copyright 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved.
        > http://www.yahoo.com
        >
        > Privacy Policy:
        > http://privacy.yahoo.com/
        >
        > Terms of Service:
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
          Alicia,

          The way the Student Board member works is the high schools select a rep from
          each high school and the student sits on the board for three meetings giving
          each high school a representative during the year.

          It is to bad the School Board did not explain this when given the chance
          leaving questions lingering as they so often do.

          Kevin

        • alicat1967
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
            Kevin,

            YOU THE MAN!

            Thanks, yes Mr. Price made it a point to mention to the audience that
            there would be more student representation on the board, but we all
            thought our student rep last year stayed for most of the year.

            Either way, I asked that young lady to TELL US what is going on
            in her school. We ALL need to hear it.

            Thanks
            as always
            Mr. Rivard
            SSC Guru
            All about the kids consultant

            Alicia

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@h...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004
                Glen,

                Thanks for clearing up where the Student Board Reps are generated from. When
                I heard what you said and then what Alicia said at the board meeting I knew
                there was not a total meeting of the minds so perhaps at the next Board
                meeting you can explain how the students come to be a Board Representative
                along with the fact that even the Omega type schools are also represented
                throughout the year which was a change a few years ago when before only the
                main high schools had reps.

                Kevin

              • Alicia
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004
                  Glen, I appreciate your response & no apology necessary. In fact, I wanted to THANK YOU for the nugget of info you did give me about more youth representation when I spoke
                  at the meeting.

                  I thought Peter stayed the whole year. Maybey he was just so vocal and straightforward it seemed like longer!

                  Either way, I always appreciate your responses.

                  Alicia