Budget seminar

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2004
      --For all of you that are interested in how the state finance education and the amount of monies that WCCUDS get and how it is allocated, you missed a great seminar by Pat Cocks, budget analyst. The many questions about ADA, categorical funds and general funds were answered yesterday. We went line by line through the District's budget and as would be expected some very important information came forth. Every member of the school board and any one interested in become a member of the school board should have attended her seminar or should request training from her. She gave you the facts and you could make your own conclusions.

      All of you that have asked the question about categorical funds and what happens to unspent funds would have received a information that you know but was afraid to really know. All of the grants and funds that board members are told that they don't need to see a budget for, well we covered them yesterday and it is clear why they don't need to see the budgets.

      Thanks to AFT for an informative seminar, Pat Cocks is available for any group to go over the budget in a way that you can understand.

      Scottie Smith
    • Diamel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2004
        Correction Scottie! I know that names can be challenging but her name is
        Patty Cox. I agree with Scottie. That budget hearing that the district gave
        before school was out gave no valid information. It was a waste of time.

        Diane Brown

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 26, 2004
          --Thanks Diane, names are not my game.

          Scottie Smith

          -------------- Original message from Diamel@...: --------------

          > Correction Scottie! I know that names can be challenging but her name is
          > Patty Cox. I agree with Scottie. That budget hearing that the district gave
          > before school was out gave no valid information. It was a waste of time.
          >
          > Diane Brown

        • Alicia Pohl
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2004
            Diane,
            I was happy to come for the short amount of time that I did and I AGREE. The district's presentation of the budget was meant to do ONE THING>

            MAKE THE PARENTS AND COMMUNITY FEEL DUMB AND DISCOURAGE THEM FROM ASKING QUESTIONS.

            Just like most of their presentations (they did one on AYP -vs- API) It was a show (probably required by law) and it made no sense.

            If I could take one thing from yesterday, it would be:
            Just because the school has a clean audit does NOT mean that things are OK - there is no accountability from year to year and that is so shocking.

            And I am SICK AND TIRED of these people giving the same answer to how to solve our problems
            WE JUST DONT HAVE THE MONEY BUT WHEN WE DO, WE WILL RESTORE THIS AND REINSTATE THAT.

            In the meantime, we lose kids EVERY SINGLE DAY.
            Thank you again for organizing the event

            Alicia Pohl
            Correction Scottie! I know that names can be challenging but her name is
            Patty Cox. I agree with Scottie. That budget hearing that the district gave
            before school was out gave no valid information. It was a waste of time.

            Diane Brown

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
              Scottie,
              As I said in an email to Marsha, the only way we are ever going to truly get passed this stalemate on the budget is to get Ms. Cox and Ms. Vedovelli in the same room with us in the audience and televise it to boot. We need to hear from both sides on understanding the budget. Having one presentation from one camp and having another presentation from the other camp, does not answer the questions that come to mind. This would be opening up the budget process to the public. We hear people complain and moan about money, well here's our opportunity to get a balanced presentation. And if this district really did do this, it would be a first. Communication and understanding have always been the goal, if we walk away from an opportunity such as this, then we really don't want to fix the problem, we just want to continue to complain and moan. Can we make this happen?
              Tammy

              rcs101@... wrote:

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
                Well, I have had many conversations with several people since last night and they all feel that this budget meeting is a great idea. I feel confident that the city of Pinole would back this event and even televise it for us. If we are to move forward in this district it is time to open up the books and understand them once and for all. We need to have a meeting of the minds. If we are not willing to do this, then we surely have something to hide.

                School board members, are you willing to do this? This would be the opportunity to bring the public in and be proactive for once. This would be one step toward gaining people's trust. We've got union negotiations coming up, we have been dumping categorical funding into the general fund for the last couple of years to balance the budget, we have a declining population, etc. We've got to do something now rather than later. This is not to attack the district, but to help us understand it better. Make this an opportunity for the good of the kids.
                Tammy

[...]

              • David Whitenack
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                  I add my voice to the choir calling for a joint budeget
                  presentation/dialogue between Ms. Cox and Ms. Vedovelli. Ideally,
                  this should happen before the election next month. Wouldn't it make
                  sense for the members of the Board's Budget Subcommittee to make this
                  happen? If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Harris and Ms. Player comprise that
                  subcommittee. I urge one or both of them to bring this much-needed
                  event to fruition.

                  David Whitenack
                  Parent, Madera Elementary
                  El Cerrito

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                    I totally agree. An open discussion with all the important players would go
                    a long way to answer everyone's questions. The district budget is
                    complicated but many of us are trying to understand how it all works. Let's
                    do this!
                    Cathy Travlos

                  • Rodger Eva
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                      Ignorance causes fear and resistance, if more people in our communities
                      had a better understanding of the budget, more people would be willing
                      to work WITH the district to alleviate this crisis. Let's do this.
                      Surely the Board Budget Committee is not worried about what we'll
                      learn… are they?

                      Rodger Eva
                      Parent, Olinda Elementary
                      El Sobrante

                      rodger@...

                      eva design group
                      510.243.1107

                    • Diamel@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                        Hi All

                        I am working on scheduling another workshop. I'll bring everyone up to date
                        as soon as I hear something. Thank you for the interest. We can make this
                        happen. I have a few extra copeis of the handouts. Your comments suggestions are
                        greatly appreciated.

                        Diane

                      • alicat1967@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                          Diane,
                          Appreciate your efforts to bring this information to the people so much!
                          Would like to talk to you more about an effective way to get this info to
                          teachers and your insight would be most necessary on that.

                          In the meantime, going to go look up a teacher of mine from a LONG
                          time ago and get some insight from her.

                          Thank you again
                          Alicia