Re: [wccusdtalk] RE: Summary Notes Board Workshop/Observations

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 8:14 AM
      Diane,

      I know Tammy and I are on the same page as far as wanting the best for the
      students, we just have a difference as to the "conversation and the road
      map" on how to get there. I also agree with your assessment of Gloria.
      People who have not been privy to her vitriol keep wanting to believe she is
      or has the answers.

      I have seen many good people in this district leave or simply say, "I don't
      care what downtown says, when I go into my classroom and close the door I
      will do what I want to do." This is because of the leadership from 1108
      Bissell. Now, I understand even the teachers are becoming divided. We have
      had four years of Gloria's leadership and I have yet to see a united front
      of the "Stakeholders" about the EDUCATION of the students. The community
      passed building bonds and a Parcel Tax (but only after being black mailed
      after the loss of the first parcel tax). But the infrastructure for
      education which is why a school district exists still is fractured. The
      teachers are being strong armed into a one size fits all reading program
      which for some teachers and students might work but there are numerous
      programs that work and all should be available to fit the teacher style and
      student style for maximum effect and buy in. Now the high schools are being
      corralled into a style of reform that sounds like it could be a, Like it or
      Leave It program. We will have to wait and see on that. It is time for this
      community to rise up and take back the schools and give the authority to
      those that can make an immediate impact on their child's school, the
      Principal.

      I have been to many meetings in the past year where parents have said,
      "Don't split my principal, she/he has done so much for our school." I have
      not heard one person say, "Please, don't lay off my area director, don't lay
      off Assistant Superintendent Jane/John Doe they have done so much for my
      school." It is time that we the community say, our school sites are to get
      90% of the funding that is in this in the budget with the Principal in
      charge of the site budget and the central administration can fight and prove
      their existence is needed to support the school sites. If a central
      administration position does not support the school site it is not need.
      That is the philosophy of the Edmonton and Weighted Student Funding formula.
      It works because people have to justify their existence by showing how they
      support the school sites and the students.

      There is no more time to waste the students are in jeopardy and time does
      not wait for them.

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 12:25 PM
        --Diane:

        I would love to see the model and speak with those that work in the program, but as you know in this district, parents are not asked to take part in those kinds of trips, unless they go through their site councils. We use to have a voice on hiring administrators, because many of us fought hard to get our place at the table, but that has changed over the last four years. So it seems, for every step forward, we have now gone backward, lets try to stay on a forward track.

        Scottie Smith

        -------------- Original message from Diamel@...: --------------

      • SarahCreeley@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 6:53 PM